1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's My Motivation?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by qisforquinton, May 4, 2009.

1. qisforquinton

I guess I'm just having one of those blah days where I just want to sit and do nothing. I've been having a lot of these lately... Like, everything I do is overshadowed with impending doom and I'm thinking "why even bother?". I don't know, I just get kind of moody and depressed. Do you know what I mean? If you do, what do you do to get over it? I'm just in a rut...

2. littledinosaurs

I totally know what you mean.
    I am not sure how i get over it.
    i Guess i just listen to music and do things that make me feel better.
    sometimes i even clean my room to avoid 'real' work.
    :\
    i hope you get outta this funk soon

(*hug*)

3. qisforquinton

thanks, I appreciate it

4. littledinosaurs

No problem!!! despite the fact that it wasn't too helpful.
    Do you have any Hobbies?
    try doing them i guess.

Do you know why you are in a rut?
    and is it related to being alone/lonely cause that is usually what happens to me.

5. GhostDog

When my mood hits a downswing, and it's for no apparent reason, I have lately taken to just letting myself feel like crap for a while (without thinking "aw crap, why am I feeling bad? could it be this or this or this and can i even do anything about it", which I used to be really bad about doing). If I feel like crying or screaming, I let myself rather than trying to stomp on it and let it simmer for hours. Either I'll feel better, like I've released stress, or I'll feel really ridiculous and I'll just have to laugh at myself!

That all makes it a little easier to go make myself do something. Something constructive, even if it's just cleaning. Maybe going for a run outside or something! Getting up and making myself do something kind of kicks my brain into gear. Sometimes the mindlessness of physical work has a sort of calming effect, I find.

Hope you feel better soon. <3

6. Totoro

When i'm down, I just let time pass, and watch it all go by- It doesn't really matter... I feel kind of selfish when i'm in such a state, though, since i tend to only examine my own self and not anybody else.
    My fashion for getting rid of this kind of mood is... well music :grin: Listening, or Playing it. I'm not the kind of person who needs music that goes with the mood, I just listen to something, it really just calms me down. Playing the music does the same :slight_smile: So as everyone else mentioned, and i'm probably regurgitating: A hobby?

7. Greggers

I always go buy a nice plump grapefruit.

Whenever i ask the question "Why is life even worth it anymore? Why bother going on?" I always come back to the ONE same answer.

"Life is worth living as long as there is a nice plump grapefruit in my fridge to eat in the morning"

Cause if you can think of one thing, no matter how small, and just focus on that it can keep you going, at least one more day :slight_smile:

8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm similar to Greg. I don't like grapefruit :lol: but finding something in the future, no matter how small, to latch onto can be incredibly helpful. Just something like "I'm going home next weekend and can see my sister again" or "I'll watch RENT again as soon as I can find a spare couple of hours" or "I'll see that pretty girl from my Health tutorial again tomorrow".

9. qisforquinton

*buys a theoretical grapefruit*

thanks for the advice guys, even just talking to someone is nice. It's good to know there are people going through what you're going through.

10. Nameless Hope

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't be a good one for advice. I've been in your day for 5 months...

11. Haiiro

Haiiro Guest

I don't really have any advice for this, because...I can't remember the last time I didn't feel this way. ^^; I can only pinpoint it back about as far as 5 or 6 months at this point, and there is no end in sight.

So the best I can do is say that you aren't the only one, and hopefully it'll pass. Just keep plowing through the best you can. (*hug*)

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you feel down or you have one of those blah days it can be actually good to let your emotions out. Leaving them inside for too long is never a good idea in the first place. If you feel that you need to cry, that's okay. Let it all out.

But after that try to pick yourself up again, and try to look at things objectively. Try to deal with the things that cause you to feel this way. Ask yourself why is that I feel this way, and try to deal with some of the things that are bothering you. If you can't do it on your own, ask for help. It doesn't matter who you ask for help, whether it be a friend, a counselor or a teacher. What matters is that you do seek help. Always remember that there is no shame in asking for help.

Sometimes, doing thing that you like or give a good feeling can help you too. As it was mentioned above try to do things that you like. Try to enjoy the things that you like doing. If it helps, try doing them with a friend or friends.

Whenever you feel getting to a point where things don't make sense or you are asking yourself 'why even bother' remind yourself about your goals in life. Remind yourself of the reason as to why you are doing this in the first place. Maybe try even creating some new realistic smaller goals that can help you in reaching larger goals that you might have. As Greg said, remind yourself of the things that you can look forward to everyday. I am pretty sure you are good at a few things. Embrace them, and remind yourself of it, and try to look forward to pursuing them.

I hope this helps a bit!

13. qisforquinton

That's why I love acting. Besides being good at it, I can pretend to be happy and I usually fool myself into a few hours of distraction.

14. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! With doing the things that you like doing, you really should do them because you like them. Pretending that you are happy will only give you a false sense of feeling good. But the idea with doing things that you like, is that they give you a real sense of confidence and a boost in how you feel about yourself and things you can look forward to. The things that you like doing should give you some distraction and a chance to take a break from things as it were but that should lead into feeling good about yourself without having to pretend or fooling yourself into something.

You love acting. That's good. But try to take that and remind yourself of the real reason why you love acting.

15. qisforquinton

I get what you're saying. I think my last comment came out a bit wrong. I absolutely adore acting because...idk, it's just my passion. When I'm somebody else, I don't have to think about my own problems which is just an added bonus.