1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the gay scene

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by paco, May 6, 2009.

1. paco

paco Guest

i've just been wondering, what exactly are gay clubs like? i'm probably gonna start going to some this summer with some friends, but i have no idea what to expect--especially since i dont go to regular clubs anyway..

so, is it a bunch of loud music and dancing? what am i supposed to wear? is there usually somewhere to veg out and just talk to people?

i know, not really the most important question on this forum, but be nice to know.

2. Roralo

Roralo Guest

Like a normal club. Except with a higher density of gay people. Wear clothes you can dance in but still look good. There is usually a lounge to just talk.

3. Just Adam

its usually a lot less trashy in a way than regular clubs the music tends to be louder lower lighting just better lol look out for strobe and black light thats just awesome lol

clothes not to dossy not too fussy try hards are so lame just be casual and have fun some places do have dress codes on trainers and a lot of places dont allow hoodies up but thats standard. its just a night out but with more hot guys :slight_smile:

youll enjoy it hope where you go has a drag queen they can be great fun especially if shes real bitchy to the audience i went to a gay pub other week and this one she was picking on this loner student kid i was like awww but couldent stop laughing they were enjoying it and the crowd loved it,

have fun :slight_smile:

4. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on the club.

One of our "gay bars" has better areas than the other to veg, though both do have spots (though you are still trying to talk over the music). I've found the washrooms to be a little shadier than traditional clubs (eg: men / women signs are suggestions, BJs and drugs in stalls, people looking at you at the urinal).

Dance floor itself is very similar. Loud music, lots of people dancing (it's fun!) Doesn't matter if you can dance or not, most people are too drunk to notice, and most people are horrible dancers. However you can hold hands with / kiss a guy and no one will bat an eye (unless it's straight night).

What to wear? Honestly the gay clubs here seem to have the largest range of wardrobe. Everything from sweatpants to collared shirts to leather to no shirts. I think it's fun to dress up a little bit.

And I think it's funner to go with friends.

5. Just Adam

just sounds dodgey club to me. these things happen in any club though you never know they try to stamp out drugs but people will find a way to get them in if theyre determined enough and sex in the toilets thats just the way some do it :S and checking each other in the urinal.... stand in a cubicle then :slight_smile: aslong as the bathrooms clean thats fine

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Turn the lights off in your room.
    Play a dance club song.
    Turn the volume up until you can't think.
    Turn it up a few more notches.
    Fix yourself a drink.
    Water it down a bit.
    Charge yourself $7.
    Go to the bathroom.
    Imagine a creepy guy staring at you while you pee.

There - you've been to a gay club. :slight_smile:

(Not all gay clubs are as pictured, your mileage may vary, dealer retains all rebates)

Lex

7. Just Adam

what is with you lot and creepy guys looking at you pee lol

8. SailingKoala

"what is with you lot and creepy guys looking at you pee lol"

This maybe an Atlantic Divide on how most of our Gay Clubs are...:badgrin:hehe

Or maybe not - You do get so dodgy bars - but enjoy them for what there are.

Definitely suggest going with a group of friends the first time, so you don't feel isolated or out of place. Go to all your locals until you find the one that fits your likes - just like any Pub... If you want techno don't go to the quiet country pub and if you what a sit down meal don't go to the city clubs...

9. xxxxx

xxxxx Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Here is a gay club

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn5rskOLGdo[/YOUTUBE]

10. nametakenagain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I'll just tell ya the experiences I have had at gay clubs. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

There are people dressed in all styles there, I guess the most commonly seen style is just a nicely put together "normal" outfit. Ya know, nothing crazy, just a nice shirt and pants. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I do see a good amount of emo/scene guys there. :slight_smile:

There is a lot of loud music and people dancing, it IS a club after all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: You can always go where the smokers go (right outside the club in the UK) to veg out and talk to people. There are other places to stand/sit and chat anyway though.

11. xxxxx

xxxxx Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am corrupting you all today I am sorry.:icon_bigg

12. Just Adam

youd be amaized how far you would have to go to do that, but your welcome to try :wink: lol

13. xxxxx

xxxxx Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is also a club... Some clubs in the UK are like this.

Party

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EaE0_gQLw0[/YOUTUBE] :thumbsup:

14. paco

paco Guest

everything that you've all described is clubs in the UK lol. im a cali boy, and i'm 19, if i'm drunk it's cause i pregamed cause they dont let "minors" into clubs that serve alcohol here.

15. Seanboy23

Hey Paco. I'm a Cali boy too. The clubs here vary greatly and as someone above mentioned, you just have to find one that fits you.

Here in Sacramento, there are a few clubs, each one has a different purpose (and crowd). My favorite is Badlands, it's L.A. style with two floors, video screens everywhere and great lighting and sound systems. In the main bar/club area, it's very cool, very loud, and very fun. But there is also an upstairs balcony/patio and a back patio/bar where you can talk easier and just hang out.

My biggest piece of advice is two parts: one, DEFINITELY go with friends if you can. It's way more fun and more comfortable to be in a group. Lots of crazy times can happen!

Second, like I already mentioned, find the place that fits you and your personality best. I was in San Diego over this past weekend and it was my first time going to new & different clubs since I came out. I went to Rich's and Bourbon Street in Hillcrest. Rich's was AWESOME for dancing, and Bourbon Street is a really cool casual place to just hang out. But neither one seemed as "fun" as my fave in Sactown, but maybe it's just what I'm used to.

Whatever the case, have a good time whatever you choose!!! :slight_smile:

16. tm74

tm74 Guest

Oh, definitely "go with friends" - a few of my work colleagues figured me out after a particularly memorable "work night out" - where 4 of us ended up in a trancy (music) gay-club...

As others have said, dress codes really vary, pretty much anything as long as there's no jeans and no trainers. Everything from tank-tops to collared shirts (often unbuttoned!), so pretty much anything goes.

Some clubs have their own websites, often with photos taken during events, so why not take a look and see what other people have been wearing there in the past.

17. paco

paco Guest

ooh bourbon sounds like a good place to start. i'm super down with just chillin at first to get into the whole idea of being openly gay.

no jeans? see now i find that hard to believe, jeans are my semi formal lol. theres an entire fashion movement called california casual.

18. paco

paco Guest

i think there needs to be less torso action and more hip. s'gotta flow!

19. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uh yeah... here in Canada (and I think every gay bar I've ever been to, which includes ones in the US and the UK), you can totally wear jeans (and many people do).

#19 joeyconnick, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  20. tm74

tm74 Guest

I'll admit my experience is very limited, so it may be the case that jeans etc are acceptable in most places! Whatever you find, enjoy yourself - I personally find the gay clubs are fine once in a while, but are not places I find a need to go too often. Equally, I know people who are out in the same place every week..