1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

putting "gay" on myspace

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by crimsonarcher, Jul 7, 2007.

1. crimsonarcher

well, i am still not completely out yet, and i keep wanting to change my sexual orientation on myspace to "gay", but most of the friends i have on there will either harass me or spread it as a rumor...when should i change it? for it still says straight...:confused:

http://www.myspace.com/eidolon14

2. CrimsonThunder

Well I cant see it because your profile is private however only do it when you are READY.

It's an easy way to come out to people. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. No day butoday

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I came out on myspace ;P
    You might hide your orientation? That's what my friend does who's way in the closet.

4. 24601

Mine says gay. I made it that way when I officially "came out," the same time I put up a gay pride icon on AIM. If you're still in the closet, just hide the orientation thing or leave it at straight - doesn't really matter all that much.

5. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    well personally my myspace just doesn't have an orientation section. The way I figure it is:

1 - You're not lying
    2 - It leave it open, for those who may sort of know to come to their own conclusion.

Obviously when i'm fully out then i'll change it, but this helps keep it hassle free.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with Jamie - it's best if it isn't there at all, then you are not lying.

7. boarder25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I just leave mine blank. I think that's the best way to do it if you aren't quite ready to officially come out yet.

8. Double Dubya

Yeah, I didn't put anything in and the orientation line and it went away.:icon_wink

9. xequar

Generally, from what I've heard from people and seen in my own experience, putting nothing into the orientation field on things like myspace is basically the same thing as putting gay, because straight people never seem to want to hide that they are straight. I'd say to change it when YOU are comfortable changing it. Really, most people won't notice the change, and only people who newly discover your page will see it. The contacts you already have won't look at information that theoretically isn't going to change frequently, like location and the other fields that surround the orientation field.

But, if you want to see an interesting shift, watch what happens once you turn it to gay. The amount of fake women that send friend requests will drop by at least half, and a lot of the advertisements for match sites and things become ads for gay sites. After awhile, you'll also start to get fake gay people friend requests. It's really fun to see the difference though.

As far as when I changed mine, I came out to a bunch of people in a short time, so I did mine about two days after I came out to the first person, and I also accompanied it with a blog entry, which is something everyone WILL see. That's a more surefire way to get the message out.

10. SadConfusedBandGeek

Hehe yes i feel like i'm lying whenever i put straight or heterosexual on my orientation, so i will leave it blank.

11. CrimsonThunder

I don't have anything there either and I'm out to my close friends. I just don't want everyone to know. >_> Even though I'm sure everyone does already.

12. Blue0090

Blue0090 Guest

dudes there was a time when i put NOT SURE but then i left it blank and now it says I'm straight

@tom

u never showed me ur myspace

13. Red87

Mine used to say straight, I took off the orientation section. Most people won't notice its not there unless they are specifically looking for it. Like when I used to browse for guys in the area, I would check to see if they were gay or straight, then I learned there was an Orientation filter. Thats the only reason I suppose people would specifically look for the orientation.

14. crimsonarcher

OK....i think i'm going to do it......
    then again..

15. nick79

I just changed mine to gay...

16. nisomer

I agree with everyone, leave it off. That's what I did, actually it still is off. Don't change it to gay if you think people are going to harass you and such, why would you do that?

17. Torture

Torture Guest

I just leave mine blank, someday I will change it when I'm ready and comfortable with who I am and want people to know..

18. SpikySpice

I just feel really really down when i viewed my school on myspace today, seems like nobody is gay after all:frowning2:

So i decided to add them, ten after that like a week, i'll change my orientation

19. Torture

Torture Guest

There is very few people that are gay at my school, the only I knew about was the cross dresser.

20. SpikySpice

well, I'm sure tons of gay guys at my school are freaking lying:bang: :bang: