1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mother drunk out of her mind

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Swamp56, May 8, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Gah.

My mom went to a party for a charity that one of her co-workers was having, and the doctor my mom works with threw it, so she went. Me and my stepdad showed up a bit later and we were all having a good time.

My mom was introducing me to doctor after doctor after nurse after medical assistant, etc.

The issue is that my mom had a LOT to drink, and by the time I wanted to leave, she could barely walk. She was slurring her speech and refused to let go of the drink she was holding (I tried to take it away).

I told her that what she is doing is making me feel bad and bothering me and she just said she was fine ( >.> ). Anyway, I had to leave because I couldn't deal with it anymore, and I made sure my stepfather would stay with her and drive her home.

When she came out, she couldn't even open the door; my stepfather told her that she was piss drunk and whatnot, and she flipped him off, and I got angry at her. She had red wine spilt all over her shirt, and when she went to her room, she decided that she wanted to go downstairs, and I had to force her back from the staircase out of fear of her falling. She then started to keel over to the left and I had to pull her up and she was laughing and saying "Christopher, I'm fine!".

It got to a point where me and my stepfather were talking to her and telling her that she needs help (this is the 2nd time in 6 weeks this has happened), and she of course said she was fine and was arguing with us, and she threw and f-bomb a few times and then told my stepfather to shut up.

I, in turn, told her that if I wanted, I could call the police and have her arrested for verbal abuse (I considered calling the police since I felt that she could be a danger to herself due to her inability to walk straight). She kept telling me I was putting her on a microscope and told me to stop analyzing her (I was asking her questions like "How do you feel?" "How many drinks did you have tonight?").

After about an hour, she started to get slowly less intoxicated and I left her alone in her room with my stepfather who was half asleep and I told her to not go down the stairs, and to get in bed.

I'm not sure what I should do...and what to say when I confront her tomorrow about what happened. I'm really worried, especially since alcoholism runs in her family (her father is a recovering alcoholic).

I would be really grateful if you guys could help me with coming up with things to talk to her about and/or say...I'm just really worried about her :icon_sad: .

#1 Swamp56, May 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009
  2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I just had to force her to go into her room because she was going to try to go down the stairs and she still can't walk well. I had to go get her medication and give her the dosage, and take the medication downstairs. >.>

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well first of all, you may want to contact Alcoholics Anonymous. http://www.aa.org/?Media=PlayFlash because I believe they could help you greatly. Secondly I think you need to just sit with her once she's sober and explain how it's hurting you, it's hurting your family, and if she does this it will get worse and worse, especially with it running in her family. I've never dealt with this sort of thing so I'm really sorry I can't give any real worthwhile help....but contacting AA may really help you.

4. Eleanor Rigby

I understand why you are worried, but you can't argue with a drunk person. You did the right thing making sure she is safe, now you have to wait for her to be sober before trying to talk to her. As some other people have problems with alcohol inyour family, you can start with that and told her that you are worried for her. But wait for a moment where you'll be alone with her and where she will be fine. There is no need to jump on her tomorow morning and told about that right away. She probably won't feel fine after tonight's events and that would be counterproductive to talk to her if it makes her angry with you. You should probably talk to your stepfather too about that too. If you mum have troubles with alcohol you can't handle this alone.
    Does your mum put herself in that situation often ?
    Take care, Eleanor