1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nighttime Anxiety/Depression

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chaz, May 10, 2009.

1. Chaz

For a while now it seems as soon as the sun goes down I tend to be very panicky and lonely. Around bedtime is a prime time for panic attacks, and they can be really disruptive. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the lonesomeness/depression/anxiety? Any help is appreciated =]

2. Greggers

This is a common problem for me too.

Not recently, but in general whenever my life is not going so well ill have major nighttime panic attacks. Its quite common.

For me ive done various things to help:

1) TV. I just turn it on and watch stuff. Main reason is to get my mind off things, but hearing people talk and having the light can be quite soothing at night when your feeling bad.

2) I eat and Drink. This is a bad thing generally, cause it all turns to fat when you eat late at night, but if you stick to things like water and celery or something like that it can be a good coping method.

3) Music. I stick in my Ipod and just go to sleep with it on. Again, take my mind of things and the voices help. This one though can help you fall asleep.

4) Sleep. However you can manage it, if you fall asleep you should be fine. This seems to be the best option.

3. Just Adam

well depression you need to look at what things affect you and then need to attack them positivelly problem is you cant when suffering so i say to go too the doctor and talk to them they can help medicate this and arrange for you to talk too someone if you wish. same anxiety they can help you with this can actually be a sub element of depression worrying feeling the world closeing in on you not trusting worrying. lonliness same again it can be resolved by meeting people but not whilr your deprest as you cant let any one in as the anxiety will drive you apart from them.

bottom line go to the doctors and talk to them about it :slight_smile:

take care

4. Rygirl

Do you know what is causing the panic attacks? maybe this would be the first step to stopping them. Try to think about why they started.

5. Chaz

@Just Adam: I've been going to a therapist on and off for 6 years, and I've been on meds for it. I'm off of them now because they made me almost triple my weight in a year. I have techniques that my therapist taught me to help panic attacks and the like, but they don't always work 100%. I guess I wouldn't be too against trying medication again, but it seemed like a lot of people said I acted way different, in a bad way, while I was on medication for it.

@redsapphire: I'm a slight bit of a hypochondriac at heart. It can be anything as small as a headache or stomache ache and my mind will start to go. Luckily, as I stated above, I have things I can do to help, but the overall crappy feeling is still there, even if I can stop the anxiety.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone =]

6. dangelica679

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i have the SAME problem. watch your favorite movie/show, blog, drink a beer (my fave - always helps), eat, or counting in my head helps, tap your finger, think of the color black really hard. it all sounds weird, but try it.

7. Dare2bProud

I have the same problem too. My problem is whenever its a work day, I'm a different person at work, a little more "assertive" and just "high anxiety" so I crash when I get home and always wish I had someone around to talk to. I work out after work which helps, watch a musical, listen to music, read, drink a beer and surf the net. I do whatever I can to calm myself down. Yesterday I had a great day off than it got around 7PM and I just started crying for no reason at all ... I put in a DVD and calmed down a little.

8. Eleanor Rigby

I used to happen to me a lot, and I still sometimes have some troubles sleeping because of my anxiety level.
    I have been under medication, but I am not anymore. When it happens to me there is a few tips I use :
    - I listen relaxing music. I have bought special CD to release anxiety and to help falling asleep.
    - I also listen to recorded books (or even better, my husband reads me books)
    - I have a lamp where you can choose intensity of the light an colors, I put deep blue and low intensity (same as for my splitting headaches)
    - I drink a relaxing herbal tea around one hour and a half before going to bed
    - When I have troubles handling my anxiety for several days, I take herbal medication to help me and also magnesium supply for a while.

There are also some general rules to folow that could help you to regain a proper sleeping schedule :
    - keep your bedroom cool (around 18°C)
    - don't take bath before going to bed, or do sport, because it increase your body temperature that has to lower to fall asleep
    - don't eat to much, especially protein and don't drink alcohol
    - try to go to bed every night around the same hour
    - don't watch TV or be on a computer right before going to bed, because the light gives wrong informations to your brain making him think it's day time, instead, try to read a moment in bed with a low light

Now, if you really feel depressed and have panic attacks, you'd better talk about that to your doctor. There is nothing wrong with taking medications to help you with this.

I hope it could help. Take care, Eleanor

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're definitely not alone here. :slight_smile: Amazing how the big flaming ball of gas can help alleviate the fears and anxieties we have. Lots of good advice above, so I'll just add a couple things.

* Focus on doing things you enjoy during that time.
    * Stay busy! The more things you have to do, the less time your brain will have to obsess.
    * If you're lying in bed, and the anxieties start building up, don't try to avoid it. Do some basic planning. If you're worried that X will happen, think "Well, if X happens, I could do Y, or Z."
    * If you really REALLY can't sleep, get up and do chores. Funny how sleepy you feel after washing that fourth dish. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Just Adam

aww chaz sos to of the side effects of the meds i admit i saw some myself on them, what i would suggest is try a different type from your doctor say what effect they had on you and they should be able to find a more suitable one. if you ever fancy a chat about anything feel free to message me :slight_smile:

hope your ok today :slight_smile:

11. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Just throwing it out there cuz I know a lot of people who do this but you could masturbate to calm you down before you go to sleep.

If you have a pet, have them sleep in the room or if it is a small animal ,on the bed. Try and find ways to make you feel secure.

If there is too much on your mind, write about it. Keep a journal and put all your thoughts in it before you go to sleep.

thats all I can think of.

12. Just Adam

masturbation is more if you over tensed or frustrated... best way to get to sleep best way to wake up... when on your own :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just throwing it out there cuz I know a lot of people who do this but you could masturbate to calm you down before you go to sleep. If you have a pet, have them sleep in the room or if it is a small animal ,on the bed.

Be nice to your pet, and don't do both at the same time. :slight_smile:

Lex

14. Just Adam

yep the dog might see you and think walls yum... that will end soooooooooooooooooo bad

15. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

:laugh:

But in all seriousness I do hope you get the remedy your looking for.