1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my mom~

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Roralo, May 10, 2009.

1. Roralo

Roralo Guest

I must say the burden is off my chest now. But the news didn't go by well. Lots of screaming, crying, and door slamming. She believes I'm too young to make this choice now, that by praying and meditating I will be able to change my sexuality. Right now? Well she is ignoring me, I don't even exist to her right now. She is also threatening to tell everyone. So much for trust. So much for motherly love.

What do I do now? Should I sit it out and wait till the storm passes? Should I get some help from someone to help convince her? Should I just leave the house till things settle down? I don't know.

2. crystaltriforce

congrats on comeing out. as for your mom, i'm in a similar situation. (*hug*)

3. riddlerno1

Well first congrats on telling your mum and although she reacted negatively its done now. maybe let her process the information and give her some PFLAG reading cos she sounds like shes in shock.

4. Thisisnew

Congrats on telling sorry it didnt go that well. I think you should let her get over the shock and settle down.

5. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's never nice to have this kind of a response. (*hug*)
    Still, I do believe it is a good thing you told her.

A lot of the recrimination might be from shock. I wouldn't worry about her telling anyone. Pure emotional blackmail, and if she doesn't accept it, I'd highly doubt that she's going to spread the word.

I would suggest leaving reading material in a strategic place, a lot of the PFLAG material is handily available.

I would suggest trying to act as normal as possible if she's not actively hounding you about it. That way the news can sink in. And when she is going on about it, try to be as level-headed as possible. You know the answers to any question she could pose!

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that your mum has a difficult time with it. (*hug*)

Your mum is in shock and trying perhaps to deal with it in the best way she knows to deal with it. Give your mum a bit of time to come around to it. If things don't improve and you feel it might be better to leave the house for a night or a couple of days, do you have a friend with whom you could stay?

The 'storm' will pass eventually. Hopefully the initial shock will pass soon, and you can talk with your mum again. Remember, you are the best person to educate her and to talk with her about it. Often, a bit of education, will go along way in 'normalizing' things again.

As Filip mentioned, try to leave some educational material for her to read. You can download material off the PFLAG website: http://community.pflag.org/Page.aspx?pid=594. "Our Doughters and Sons" might be a good start. Also, there is a really good book available, "Now that you Know," which you could also get for her. Maybe you can find a copy in your library, or in a local bookstore and online.

I hope this helps a bit.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Roralo, if your mom would be willing to talk to another parent of a gay son, you can PM me for my e-mail address. I would be happy to talk with her.

8. Noah

I would say lay low for a while, and be patient. Make a move when it's the right time, but let the shock wear off first.

9. Roralo

Roralo Guest

Thank you all for the advice! Yeah, I guess it must be some pretty heavy set shock and I'll let her deal with it. But the thing about the PFLAG material is that she can't read English so it'll be difficult for her to understand.

10. xequar

SHe's threatening to tell everyone? Beat her to it. Take the wind out of her sails.

11. Just Adam

congrats on comeing out be proud of your bravery im sorry your mum didnt take it well i hope she comes round i also say to get some pflag material :slight_smile:

12. dmblue54

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does she read spanish? Go on google and type in recursos para padres de chicos gays. I came out this weekend and handed my mom the info. It was really useful.

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Maybe try calling or e-mailing a PFLAG chapter in your area - maybe they have them in different languages available?