1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmm... a little dilemma.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by boarder25, Jul 7, 2007.

1. boarder25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The other myspace thread got me thinking. I think I'm about ready to just go ahead and come out. I was thinking I would do it by posting it on my myspace, as really I prefer to do it online (that's how I told my best friend, and it was much easier for me that way). The only thing is, of my circle of closest friends, only a couple actually have a myspace. One of them is my best friend and he already knows anyway. If I come out via myspace, the people seeing that would be more casual friends rather than my best friends. I admit, I'm a baby and don't like the idea of coming out in person. :lol: I had a pretty hard time doing it with my mom. I want my best friends to know, but I really don't want to have to actually tell them in person. So... what do you think, just come out on Myspace and see what happens from there? I figure it would be nice to do it now since it's summer and there will be time for the news to settle before school starts again.

Hehe, this is so lame and I'm making it a bigger deal than it needs to be, but whatever. :lol:

2. RomanceSlayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I´d like better telling everyone in person...
    but well I´m really shy to talk to people (face to face) about my orientation
    so I find the myspace idea cool

3. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    hmmm as i'm sure you already know it is better if your best friends find out first. If you don't think you can drum up the courage to tell them, as your other best friend to mention it before you start the ball rolling with the whole myspace thing. Common courtesy I guess. But this way they may be a little mad at you for hiding it, but won't be peed off at being the last to find out.

4. SadConfusedBandGeek

Hmm, do your friends that dont have myspace, have msn, aim, yahoo? etc etc?
    I find it easier to tell them over that, or maybe even put up a gay type avatar/display pic. and have them ask you about it.

So if your planning to come out like, totally maybe tell a few more people? I dunno thats wut i did, i have told most of my best friends (I stil have a few i am scared to tell) but like if your GOOD friends already know and are fine with it, then you wont have to worry bout people who aren't your friends, or just aquaintances? I dunno !lol
    do wut you feel most comfortable with

5. No day butoday

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did that, I just posted a blog about it and changed my orientation and called it good ;D

6. xequar

That's awesome! I think you'll be surprised at how effective it is, too.

7. Grof142007

i came out over myspace 2 it take alot of pressure off and it make the other people come up and ask you.

8. crimsonarcher

if it's what you want to do, do it!

9. 24601

If you want to come out fully, I'll tell you how I did it (if you don't already know). I changed my orientation on myspace, filled the thing with a pride movie, logo, and wrote a little blurb in the about me thing. Then, on AIM/YIM/MSN my icon is now a rainbow background with PRIDE written on it. Although my situation was slightly different, since most of my close friends already knew. In my opinion, though, it's worked out nicely... except this one kid no longer speaks to me, but I didn't know him in real life, anyway. Just make sure you're ready, since it's hard to hide once you do it.

10. nisomer

Well I think one question to raise, is really, are you ready to be out? If you change your orientation on say myspace, people will definitely come asking you questions. So of course, you will have to be ready to talk about it. Along with that, unless you are going to be completely open to everyone about your sexuality, it may get a little awkward for you because you will never be certain of "who knows." But maybe it won't be awkward because that's what you want? I dunno.

As for telling your friends in person, I totally agree with what jamie said about it being a common courtesy thing. Your best friends deserve to be told in person, I think, rather than finding out from a profile page. I mean, telling them you are gay will probably already be a surprise for them, but how would they feel finding out on myspace?! Telling them in person is the least you could do for your friendship. There are many pluses to coming out in person, believe me, but the biggest one is that when you do, you get to sit down and have a decent conversation with someone you are close to, about a subject that you, as a closeted gay teen, probably don't get to talk about very much--yourself.

And one more thing, about coming out as a whole, you don't have to try to come out too fast. Take it slow, one step at a time. Hey, you're only 15, you've got plenty of time :icon_wink

11. thommthomm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since your best friend already knows and if you really are to shy to do it, then I say give that person permission to do it for you!! Or you could at least let them tell someone who will have no problem spreading the news.

I know it is not the best way to do it, but at least people will know and not directly from you.