1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road triiiip (is this a horrible idea)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GhostDog, May 10, 2009.

1. GhostDog

Well, alright, it's not so much an actual road trip as it is driving with my dad to my grandma's house in east Texas. Significantly less exciting than the road trips I've had. =P

But! Assuming I can actually get up the courage to bring it up... I'm kind of wondering if that wouldn't be a good time to, uh, tell him.

What makes me think this is recalling a similar trip yonks back, in high school I think. I'd been in a really horrible mood for months on end, and while we were in the car, he asked me what was really bothering me. It wasn't something I had wanted to talk to him about, but in the end I mentioned I was having religious doubts. I expected him to be kind of mad, or even concerned, but he just said something like this, cool as a cucumber --

"Well, I can't tell you what to believe. Your mother and I always wanted to leave that up to you, which is why we never had you baptized. We wanted it to be your choice. All I can tell you is what I believe, and you make your own decisions."

He's not really the kind to flip out when presented with this sort of thing, otherwise I'd be concerned about telling him in a car, haha. Besides, I feel like... based on his reaction on said previous trip, I can't see him reacting horribly. He's definitely Christian, but he's always been of the "Well, I can't prove any of it, so I'm not gonna tell you what to believe" camp. He's pretty open-minded, and even back when he was a republican, he was pretty "live and let live" about homosexuality.

I think he'll deal with it okay. He may not be thrilled, but I think he's better than freaking out on me.

I dunno. I'm considering the car trip because it's one of the few chances I get to be alone with my dad. Would it be better to tell both parents at the same time? I don't think my mom will freak out either, though it may make her sad. I'm not sure. I'm close to both of my parents, though.

Halp! Not sure what to doooo D:

2. Thisisnew

I think if your in the car with him and it feels right then go for it. You said you don't think he will flip out. I don't want to tell my parents at the same time but that's me. Good luck

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! From what you have written it seems like that your dad would be fine with your sexual identity. I mean saying

sounds accepting to me. As you said, he might not be thrilled but at the same time, he might not have that of a hard time to come around to it.

Given that you are close to both your parents and you have the feeling that your mum might be okay with it as well, why not try coming out to them at the same time, before the road trip? Would you feel ready and/or comfortable with that?

If you do decide to come out to your dad first, maybe try coming out to him before the trip begins. Like this you will perhaps enjoy it a bit more, knowing that you are out and don't have it on the back of your mind anymore.

I hope this helps!

4. GhostDog

Hmm, maybe! I think I might be ready, though I will sleep on it and see. I'm pretty well comfortable with myself, finally, hehe.

I do think I'll tell them sometime this summer, at the very least. The hard part would be catching them at a time when they're both in the house, Dad's not busy (like he usually is), and my siblings aren't home (since they have a tendency to want to come visit when I'm trying to discuss stuff with mom and dad, haha).

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you stopping somewhere on the way? Somewhere to grab lunch or something? If so, that might be the best time to tell him. Not sure why I think that way, but there it is. If not, telling him along the way should be fine.

Lex

6. paco

paco Guest

i've told a couple people while driving, none of them has crashed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

anyway by your description your dad sounds like a very down to earth kinda guy, and you probably know him better than most people in the world since you're his daughter, so if you think he will take it alright, then i would believe that he's going to take it alright.

doing it on this road trip sounds like a great idea, its time you have alone with him, theres enough time to talk if he needs to, and it will feel like one of those little bonding moments because what you're really doing by telling him is saying "dad, i love you and i trust you enough to tell you; this is me"

as for your mom, just let her know when you tell her, that it wasnt about favorites, it was about availability.

ps. your parents sound like my parents, and im coming out to them this summer too as it happens o_0

#6 paco, May 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  7. Happy Go Lucky

It sounds like your dad would be okay with it; would probably be a good idea then, if you feel like it'll work. I say "go for it!" but that's just me...take the bull by the horns and go. Otherwise, soemthing that worked for a friend of mine was that she wrote a note. She left it on the dashboard and went back into the house "to get something". When she came back, her dad was bearly crying; he said he had thought it might be true for a while, and that he was happy that she had finally trusted him enough to tell him...major bonding moment. She says it was the best road trip ever...
    Your call.

Good luck!