1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future in ruins?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by crimsonarcher, Jul 7, 2007.

1. crimsonarcher

OK, i'm supposed to move back to Mexico in a matter of years....
    but something tells me not to go back.....
    it's as if my life would be in jeopardy.
    you think it's bad being gay in the United States?
    Try being in a country ruled by the bible....
    ( it is pretty much...)
    I want to stay...
    but i have to go back to my roots...
    what do i do?:confused:

2. Red87

Honestly, never really having lived in an area really strong on religion and traditional values, I can't offer much insight. Are you moving back with family, or going to school, or what? About all I can offer is the best of luck. Its a shame to have come so far and then have to go back in hiding. I'd say come back to the states as soon as you are able to honestly, and go somewhere tolerant of gays (Frisco.. I couldn't afford that though). Good luck with it though.

Edit:
    I guess I have lived in an area intolerant of gays (Military Post, Anyone?). However I'm not in that situation, because I still drive 10 minutes away and be in Watertown, where I can be openly gay if I damn well please, even though the military presense is still strong (Lots of military live off post, a majority of the base does actually). But still, you may have to do what I do, and just keep it on the DL. Try and find a group of other people in the same situation... Myspace is always a good place to start, browse in the local area for people who are gay. Thats how I joined the local 'gay community' in watertown. When I'm at work or on Post, I'm straight as an arrow. It works for me, so maybe it will work for you. No, you can't come out to everyone, but you can still have fun.

#2 Red87, Jul 7, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  3. 24601

Why do you have to move back to Mexico? Is it something that you have to do or something that you just always said you would do, and feel like you need to explore more of your heritage or whatever?

4. xequar

This is the type of question to which there is no easy answer. Really, you're going to need to sit down and weigh a number of factors, like how important being in the presence of your family/heritage is (I'm guessing that some of your family is still in Mexico?), how well you'll be able to earn a living in one place or another, how liberal and open-minded the people and political views are, et cetera. As much as I think anyone here would love to have an answer for you, I think ultimately, the only person who can directly answer your question is you.

I actually had a friend in college that was in a very similar situation (save for being gay). He was from Romania, and essentially the government, which I understood to be a couple steps away from a dictatorship, sent him to the US to study public relations. He, of course, made a lot of friends and learned a lot about government and politics and all that, and he had also managed to make a tidy sum of money. He would occasionally go home for a few weeks to visit his family and whatnot, yet as he neared graduation, he was very reluctant to return to Romania because he saw far more freedom and opportunity here in the United States. But apparently, other factors won out, because the last I heard, he had indeed returned to Romania.

So, like I said, I think you're going to need to really weigh the options and go with your heart on this one.

5. Cloud Nine 5

You don't really have a choice right? School and all that. You got 3 years to go, I say move back to the US when you're 18. If you're really serious about it, you can.

When you're there. Unless you're feminine, no one's gonna come up to you and stab you for being gay. Mexico probably has gay chats or websites where you can talk to people and those websites aren't ruled by the bible, just watch who you're talking to. Personally thoat kind of stuff doesn't work for me and I don't post a picture, so... depends on you.

I know what you're saying though, I'm dying to move out too and whenever I get the chance I will. If you're serious about it and arrange money somehow, you can do it.

6. thommthomm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Didn't Mexico just sign a gay marriage law, and if so...It can't be all that bad, but I've never been there so I can't really say. I do hope things get better for you, if and when you do go back. When you do PLEASE be very careful.:icon_sad: :tears:

7. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In Uruguay laws are pretty liberal regarding gay people, but Uruguayans ARE NOT. There's a strong Catholic culture even though most Uruguayans are not religious - that means, as we all know, that in Uruguay gay = wrong.

In your place I'd try to go back to the US as soon as possible. I don't know how though - as everyone can see I'm still in Uruguay myself :tears:

8. RomanceSlayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I wouldn´t say Mexico is a really open-minded country...
    The catholic fanaticism is really strong and the and I can say not everybody thinks that being gay is ok...In most parts yopu can see these people making fun of same sex couples (I´m sure it´s not the only country where people tend to do that, but it´s somehow difficult to be gay in a "macho" based community)

There has been some improvements in laws about minorities, which include the gay community, but these improvements were not specified to same sex couples, these laws talk about some "guaranties" given to people who live together without being married
    I´m glad same sex couples now have these kind of laws, they are somehow simple but at least is a progress that has been made (though I don´t think a law can change the way of thinking of people...lol)

Hope I haven´t scared you of coming...lol

9. CrimsonThunder

I like a few wrestlers from Mexico. (Suuuuuuuuper Crazey!) Never knew it was a homophobic place (but I knew they love religion)

10. crimsonarcher

yeah, to move back to family. It might not be that ba:icon_sad: d, but still...i can't help but expect the worst...

11. crimsonarcher

It's not the government i'm worried about. It's the people there.

12. crimsonarcher

Again, it's the people i'm worried about...
    i have a transsexual uncle there...i wonder how he's treated..
    everyday i wake up, hoping he isn't hurt...:icon_sad:

13. crimsonarcher

yeah, i don't have a choice.

14. crimsonarcher

i HAVE to do it..as much as i don't want to...:icon_sad:

15. thommthomm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, PLEASE be safe and I am sorry that Religion is being used by the wrong people to further hatred. I don't think GOD intended for it to be.

I also thought that SPAIN was the most Religious/Conservative country in the world and they did ALLOW Gay Marriage!!! I hope that you can and will come back to the U.S.(&&&) (&&&)