1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bump In The Road

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by djt820, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djt820

Im going to go on about something. Turn back while you still can now.
    I dont even know where to begin this 'rant' if you will. Im very aggrevated. Im also, to an extent, sad. Why? Im not sure exactly. Im 16 and I have good grades and I seem to have a 'bright future' or some shit like that. I dont really care for that though. Im still in High School and Im about to end my junior year. I have just a bit of a dilhema. I dont have many friends. It seems like I lost most of them. I am now at the point where I cant trust anybody. How I lost these friends make me think. Now, I have to tell you now; Im not the social norm. I have a very different way of thinking then most people around my age do. Im outgoing and sarcastic in ways. I also have a very strong and assertive opinion about things and that gets me in arguments fairly often. I often get made fun of for being smart as ridiculous as that sounds. I also get called weird VERY often. Now, I dont have a problem with this that much but after monthes and monthes of this, it gets tiring. I feel like there's no one that can relate with me. The only two people that can relate with me is my friend Chris, who lives an hour away and if Im lucky, I see him once a month and then I have a recent acquaintance that is a friend of my Uncle who is in his later years that relates with me. He used to be a big druggie and with all honesty, I think that man is quite brilliant. He has expressed the same thing to me. I just wish there was another 'weird-o' that I can hold a conversation with that goes to my school. I mean, Im not looking for a boyfriend or anything. I see that way out of the question now. But all of this bullshit gets tiring. Now, dont tell me 'Oh, its only High School'. I understand that and I dont really give a shit. I still have another year of this and I will be god-damn glad once it's over. If you have any doubt that I wont find someone I can relate with in my white, christian city, let me give you some vague examples of how 'weird' I am:
    1. I think life is utterly pointless
    2. I think 9/11 was an inside job
    3. I think we should abolish money and form a new society.
    4. I think marriage is utterly pointless and we should get rid of it.
    5. Everything we know could be false. Every fact is man-made and could be wrong.
    I mean, these are really vague examples but I just wanted to give you an insight on what I mean. Most of my radical views are on politics, religion, and life in general. Now, I can go into detail on why I think this way but this isnt a political forum so I wont. Now, I dont really need advice or anything, I just needed to get this out. Its not a huge deal but DAMNIT, IT SUCKS. Its fucking irritating! Life is a bore now. I have no true friends. There's nothing weird about me! People are fools! Now go tell me to get out and meet people......

TL;DR? Fuck people.

Sorry if this offends you in any way.

2. Totoro

Well, as a teenager, it's common that we try to find our place to fit in. But also, we question things. I suppose it's at the point where we try and figure things out, how curious we are...
    I suppose I should mention that I'm a crazy thinker... Literally. I've been told by teachers and classmates often because of my non-conforming/uncommon opinion and other things... (I don't want to get into details, it's kind of embarrassing, or at least to me.)
    1. I think that usually people who find life utterly pointless (side note: Such as I) would like to find something a bit challenging, or probably of our interest that requires something beyond our ability, that makes us go further. Look for that something, could be a hobby, or something.
    2. Uh... No comment?
    3. Money is a way to have some sort of equal trade (or at least it's SUPPOSED to be). If we do abolish money, then there will always be something to replace it, or at least I believe so, looking at history (There was always some sort of trade, i believe). So if we abolish money, what then? I do know that money may be responsible for hundreds of deaths, but money is simply an easier way to trade amongst others and may help society in a much greater aspect than we may know... Although i don't really know how :3
    4. Marriage is not really needed, it just creates that bond of... 'sharing', shall I say. Let's just put it as that: so that a couple may be given equal benefits, etc... etc.. :3
    Otherwise, completely pointless. (Although, taken from a married couple I know, they have told me that marriage may help in creating a much greater bond between two)
    5.Everything can be potentially wrong, because humans aren't exactly the perfect beings.
    The idea of 'facts' itself is a mistake, as a fact is basically something that has become evidently proven enough that it is considered true, although there may be flaws that haven't been considered. Facts are opinions that have become 'common' among people as knowledge that is true, so it can't be totally---right. It's just 'true' to us, and our knowledge, although we are very limited knowledge, considering how small our planet is and how much we know about it and its surroundings.

Bleh- That's about all I've got for you, probably all wrong, probably all unreadable or what not, but here I go, criticize away at my opinionated answers.
    (What does TL;DR mean xD)

#2 Totoro, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
  3. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

They consider yourself weird for... this? I mean, the senselessness of life is one of the most recurrent topics in any form of art (let alone teenage angst); that 9/11 theory is as old as the hills... well, at least seven years and half old; abolishing money and marriage is something most communists and anarchists would be willing to do. As for the fifth point, sophists said so two thousand years ago, so you're not weird, just a little outdated :grin:.

I've also been called 'nerd' by some people in High School but I never cared that much since I was glad no one called me 'fag'. Are all of them like that at your school? Why have you lost those friends you used to have?

4. djt820

I had this long response to this but my trusty PC restarted randomly.
    In summary, I agree with some thing you said and disagree with others but in all, I appreciate the response.

5. djt820

That outdated comment made me smile.
    Well, I dont live in the most liberal town so individual thought is kind of weird it seems.
    Well, I lost some friends in meaningless drama and false accusations. Others, I just lost by being myself. Well, they never admitted there was no friendship but its quite obvious that the relationship is not like it was.
    I didnt want to make those examples a big matter in the thread. I just wanted to put them out to anyone that might of wanted some example of my thinking.
    Like I said, it's not a tremendously big deal. I just needed to let some steem loose.

Edit: Reading that over, I say Well alot. :grin:

#5 djt820, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
  6. Kirakishou

ITT: Elitism.

Sorry, but it's the first time I've seen thread memes here and I felt I just needed to respond in kind. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Seriously though, you're in high school, nothing is surrious bizniz there.

7. djt820

[​IMG]

8. Aero

Hey djt820,

Don't feel too bad. The good news is, if and when you go to college/uni, you will find tons of people who appreciate intellectual conversation... just don't scare them off (I'll get to what I mean in a bit). The bad news --> throughout your life, you will meet more and more people who are happy not questioning what they have always been told, and their blissful ignorance will annoy you... but, you'll get over it.

Now, when you say you have a "very strong and assertive opinion" that gets you into arguments, I can't help but think that maybe the side of you that you find "outgoing and sarcastic" is viewed by others as outspoken and condescending. Now, outspoken isn't necessarily a bad thing.. but sometimes you have to know your audience, and if you are looking to make friends, just be aware...
    It sucks to lose friends... and some of those so-called friends were probably cowards who figured it would be safer to stay away from the kid that everyone thinks is weird. But maybe not all of them were like that... check that you're not alienating friends too when you unleash your opinions.

Chris and the older friend of yours sound like they get you, and you definitely need more people like them around. Be patient, and be open- minded.
    The truth is, you don't have to wait until college/uni/whatever... I bet there are tons of them at your high school.

As for your weirdisms... here are my replies (just for fun).

1) Agree -- Sure, in a way that there is essentially no cosmic purpose for our lives... but that doesn't mean you can't define a meaning for your own life while you are living it.
    2) Disagree. Nah, the consipiracy theory just doesn't get my vote.
    3) ABOLISH MONEY?! Interesting...this might work... and instead of trading goods for currency, we'll would do it in exchange for neighborly favors and grain and cattle and... oh wait... nope, money stays.
    4) Just like Oprah, I'm not one for marriage.. but that doesn't mean it's useless. Raising kids is a full time job... and until we abolish money (!), it helps to have a partner to pay the bills. And, if that partner decides to f*ck off, I think the one who has been taking care of junior, and not working, should be protected by the law.
    I just think that marriage should be extended to include all groups of consenting adults.
    5) No, not all facts are man-made.. there is science... where facts tend to be facts.. unfortunately opinions, vested interests and plain old ignorance sometimes get packaged up as facts.. we can definitely do away with those.

Take it easy.
    Aero
    :bang:

9. Jim1454

I have to wonder, why you're worried about having friends when you hold such beliefs. Isn't 'friendship' just another 'convention' like marriage or currency or scientific exploration and experimentation? If you're going to be so non-conformist, why worry about friends?

Hmmm - and you dont' have friends. Could it perhaps be an attitude issue? 'People are fools?' Are you making that sentiment known to those around you? Because people, fools or not, generally don't like being talked down to. 'Fuck people' is also a little contradictory, isn't it? You want to develop relationships with people that you really don't give a shit about? Which is it? It's one or the other. And perhaps you're outwardly giving one impression while inside you feel differently.

There's a saying in recovery... while you're pointing a finger at other people and their issues and weaknesses, there are 3 fingers pointing back at you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.