1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wanting to come out to straight guy friends but very scared...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GoBabyGoGo, May 12, 2009.

1. GoBabyGoGo

ok, im out to my 2 best guy friends already and they were so awesome about it they respect me even more now. but i knew that they would. my other friends, im not so sure.

my other friends never even bring up anything slightly personal, which is really annoying. they never talk about girls... is that wierd? (one of them even has a girlfriend, which he never talks about... that is very weird). they talk about schoolwork and games which gets very boring. some people would probably call them nerds. i share just about every class with them :slight_smile:

i dont think they are extremely homophobic... they do use the word gay incorrectly as part of their daily vocab, and on occasions have said, thats so wrong/disgusting is regard to gays, but somehow i think its just to fit in.

no, they wouldnt hate me. theyre not the hating types. i just feel that they might feel differently towards me... somehow distanced and i dont really want that.

the fact that they never bring up anything personal makes it very difficult to come out... i think it would seem kind of wierd or random if i brought it up. i always wonder if i even need to come out to them at all.

eventually, i want to reach the point where im out to everyone and not caring what others think, and hopefully i have the confidence to ever do that. im also hoping that it will give me more confidence since im kind of shy. and at least the tinyest chance for some action... lol

i want to correct people every time they make a wrong assumption. but i feel like i should come out to my closer friends first, so that they hear it from me rather than others. they are just as likely to turn around and be hurt and say, why didn't you tell me??

the 2 friends im out to, i told over the internet, but i barely get any opportunities to tell my other friends :frowning2: they never use instant messaging. that means the only option really is face to face. and im scared. i could possibly try emailing them... i dont know what to do...

2. olides84

Well, I understand your desire to come out to further friends. And to be honest, if they become more distant once they know you are gay, are you really losing that much of a future post-high school friendship if as you say, no personal stuff is shared and the stuff you talk about is boring anyway.

I realize that bringing up "Hey guys, I'm gay!" out of the blue might be awkward. So maybe instead you could do it less directly, when talking about random stuff. Like what you are doing after school (going to a local/school queer club), discussing a movie (that actor was really hot :slight_smile:), or something else that might make it obvious. Then they may ask you if you are gay, and you say yes. This way, they actually brought it up :grin:

3. Greggers

Well, for one, dont worry about what is going to happen with these friends. You said it yourself, they are not the "hate" type. They may back off a little and distance themselves, but ask yourself this: Do you REALLY want to hang around people who only like you because they dont know your gay? Having a bunch of fake friends is the same as having no friends, either way you still have no one when it boils down to it. Its bound to be awkward at first, but the sooner you come out the faster the awkward period will be over. Just remember your sexuality wasnt something you came to grips with in a day, so its oly fair you give them time too.

Your on the right path though :slight_smile: Its obvious that you want to be out and proud and not care about what people think as much. That almost comes naturally the more people you tell i find.

If the subject does not come up much, you could always stick to the internet and come out that way to these friends too? No shame in doing it behind a computer, as long as you still do it. E-mailing works better than IM from my past experiences. I like it better because i can get everything i want to say down at once and not have them talking back. Its also helpful because you can do a few drafts before your pleased with it.

4. matty123

if it helps i'm in a pretty similar situation, my best friend knows, so does one of my closest friends, and of yesterday another friend woop, but i'm not sure how everyone else will take it, and want to make sure my other close friends hear it from me, not somebody else but am not ready yet to tell loads of other people or be completely 'out', unfortunately there are still loads of pretty homophobic people out there, so i'm pretty much telling one friend at a time, and if they are true friends i'm sure they will understand, so far i haven't had any negative reactions, and i have gotten loads of good advice and stuff which is really good, so u r in no way alone lol

5. GoBabyGoGo

ok, thankyou so much guys... ill come out to my next closest friend soon, i promise :slight_smile: ill send him an email, and maybe to my next closest friend as well. Just wondering if its a good idea to say "i dont care what others think. I dont care who you tell cause im not hiding anymore"?

my best friend who im out to gets accused of being gay and when people ask him he just says "you know that if i was, i would just tell everyone and not care about it". I really respect what he says, and i guess thats pushed me to come out...

6. joss22

Well, I guess I am in this same boat, I have told two girls who are really close friends, but no one else, even though I want to tell so many others. I live in a town that is fine with homosexuals, it is just that practically no one is out (1 person total that I know of). The problem with me isn't just that my guy friends don't talk about anything personal, it is also that I never see them anymore, school has dominated my life and kept me from hanging out, which used to be the norm. My friend's girlfriend is even in the schools GSA (which I am not actually a member of), though I see him maybe twice a week at school, and rarely outside of school. Also, I don't know what it is, nerves or something I guess, but something just keeps me from telling them whenever I see them, as if I know it isn't the right time, even though it may be; like one time when I was alone in the car with a friend and he was pouring out personal secret-type stuff to me...

I don't know, personally, I want to tell people in person, I feel as though letters or emails would be too impersonal (at least in my case), though it is tough for me after I first came out to my two friends. Thus, I am starting to reconsider the whole 'in person' ordeal.

Anyways, good luck with your endeavours, your friends sound like they will be cool with it and all, especially the one who made that comment about if he was gay.