1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am absolutely kicking myself...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hidden Angel, May 13, 2009.

1. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Right..... well there is this guy who I used to go out with but broke up with because I just kind of knew I shouldn't be going out with - I later on figured out I'm gay. The thing is last year when everyone else found out he was away in Canada on an exchange. When he came back I felt like I should tell him but I couldn't bring myself to so i sort of avoided him for the first term.
    Then the other day he asked my why I was avoiding him and it caught me by surprise so i just went "What? I haven't been avoiding you".
    Now I am absolutely kicking myself because not only haven't I told him but i lied to him and I don't know what to do, I feel really bad about it.

2. Just Adam

hey its ok we all do these things people who mean something to us we care what they think if only a little or we dont even realise it we find it hard to tell them because of the possible reaction.

if you feel ready to tell him and it dont matter to you how he reacts then when you next tell him that actually you have been avoiding him because.......

it sounds like youve both moved on and he holds no resentment to things ending so i think it will be ok to telll him it may be a shock but then funny realisation why it never worked he might even be relieved as he might be thinking it was his fault things never worked between you two that he did something wrong :slight_smile:

tacke care x

3. olides84

I fully agree with Adam. Talk to him, and admit that you were kinda avoiding him because you were finding it difficult to share your coming out since you care about him and what he thinks about you. Don't get defensive, and I think he'll really appreciate the honesty. He could become a good friend to you as you obviously had things in common back when you were together.

4. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

That's half the problem, we are still really really good mates, it never really got too ugly when we broke up and I don't want to mess things up now.

5. Just Adam

if your honest YOU wont mess anything up if things go wrong it would be because of him but what youve said about him theres nothing to suggest hed be anything other than accepting :slight_smile:

6. KittyBoy

Just be honest and just be yourself, just let nature take its course. If he decides to be a pillock, then he is not worth your time.

7. Just Adam

nicelly put kitty lol, if people cant love and accept you for yourself then it shows they have un healthy opinion of themselves and sadly will not accept those who may love them and will lead to their missery, you who are careing and accept others will find people that love you and you shall love them and be happy :slight_smile:

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just keep piling the lies up, and eventually, about twenty-four minutes in, there'll be a big wacky reveal, and you'll all be friends at the end.

No, wait, that's on sitcoms. Skip that.

I'd just level with him. "I've realized I'm gay, and I've been loathing telling you because I don't know how you'd react."

Lex

9. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

I've decided I am going to write him a letter because I am better at putting things in words on paper then out loud and hopefully give it to him tomorrow providing I don't back out. Wish me luck! I think I'm going to need it.

10. Absentminded

Good luck with writing the letter!
    I've been in that situation, I didn't tell him for another 6 months that I'm gay. Hopefully this guy takes it well!

11. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Ok so I chickened out and the letter is still sitting in the bottom of my draw. :frowning2:

12. olides84

Aww. I know you can do it, you already have the letter written. Keep trying :slight_smile: