1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I swear to God, it's getting so hot in this damn closet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlexPatrickMorrissey, May 13, 2009.

1. I'm really confident with my sexuality now. I came out on MySpace and I am also hoping to tell my dad this weekend. I don't think he'll have a problem with it, though. He's always loved me. The thing is, I think he already knows. I know this for several reasons. One, he's actually asked me several times. I of course always answer with a no, but I think he knows I'm lying. He also has told me several times that he doesn't care what my sexuality is. Lastly, I was smiling the whole time I was watching Milk with him, especially during the kissing scenes. He said, "I couldn't possibly know why you are smiling" to me. I think coming out to him would be completely harmless. I think that I should just say something like, "Oh, and I saw a really cute boy today!" or something like that. That way I wouldn't have to actually say, "I'm a homosexual" to him directly, plus he would know what I'm saying. Does it sound like a good idea? Oh, and one more thing! I kind of want to come out as bisexual, even thought I'm just gay. It would be easier and I can just stick to boys. Also, my mom has no idea. She actually doesn't know! She bi, so I know that she would have to be accepting of me. I mean, it's pretty obvious that I'm gay. I'm into muscials, pink things, and my favorite band is fuckin' ABBA! I might as well do it now. I'm not really all that scared anymore. I just want some kind of peace with myself.

2. Greggers

Ok, your dad knows your gay.

He just does. You watched MILK together. Lol. He ASKED you! Parents dont randomly ask there children "are you gay?" unless they are 99.9% sure. Its not a "hit and miss" type of question.

And on the bi thing, DO NOT come out as Bisexual if not just for the fact that it hurts bisexuals. When you finally "go gay" it gives in to the "all bisexuals are really just gay men or lesbian women who start off saying they are bi" stereotype that is NOT true. Dont make it harder for the bisexuals by taking a half step. Just do the full jump, please, its not fair to all my wonderful bisexual friends i know and love.

3. OK. Yeah, he definitely knows. I always have this huge smile on my face whenever he asks. Even though I'm saying no, it's pretty obvious. I also have like, the hugest crush on Adam Lambert, so whenever he's on the telly, I always get this smile and have that kind of "Oh, he's soooo dreamy!" look on my face. I'll just take the full dive. Really, it shouldn't be hard at all. Oh, and what was your coming out experience like? I always like to know what these kinds of different experiences are like. It's so fun to read.

4. Greggers

Well, im fully out as of 5 months now, and it was not *the* easiest experience ever, but it was the best one ever.

I was self-loathing, homophobic, depressed and suicidal just a year ago, because of my evangelical church upbringing and homophobic friends, family, teachers and pastor. I cut my wrists, i stood on my roof about to jump, blah blah blah. All that.

Fast-forward to this November/December. I started to question thing. I knew I could not change my sexuality and it was not a choice. I knew god made me how he wanted me, and in his image. So put two and two together, and being gay is not a sin. This got me questioning everything. After that, i met a gay person on World of Warcraft and found Empty Closets. With help from those two sources, i came out to my BFF and sister, with SUPER positives reactions (they are the only two non-conservatives i know). With support from them, i came out to my close friends. However, one friend backstabbed me and told everyone else. That spread to my old Christian highschool, and then i pretty much had to assume everyone knew.

However, i still had not told my mother and father. When i did get the courage to write them a note and leave it for them, it didnt go well. They turned on me. My mother refused to believe i was 100% gay or that i could not change. She told me to stay in the closet (everyone else knew by this point, so that was not an option) and to not label myself as gay. She was horrible to say the least. Things were such a mess. My father was never the "talking" type, so things with him went on as normal as we didnt talk before and dont talk now. Ive forced my mom to watch some gay-friendly movies and read some stuff on the subject, and she is slightly better. At the moment, she just avoids the subject but has stopped trying to force me into a straight life.

So now im out to everyone. Its really hard not for me to believe i was ever in the closet now that im out. Im such a bubbly and flamboyant person that it just shows like a bullseye on my face. Not a bad thing though, since im strong enough to take the heat. Were i live, its common for me to get "Faggot" almost anywhere there is a crowd of people. Never 1 on 1, only when they can hide.

5. xequar

Greg's story somewhat parallels mine, what with the evangelical Christianity, the suicide attempts, et cetera.

This Thread is the journal I wrote here as I was coming out. I've gained a lot of insight into the Universe over the past two-plus years, but the thread's still valid. My parents also asked me numerous times about my sexuality, and I always denied being gay. Sure, your dad "knows," but until you say it, it's not official.

Take the plunge and make it official.

6. Alex19

just do it already!!! lol obviously your parents would b ok with it.

and as for my coming out experience, my mom was the one that pretty much cornered me in my room, so to speak, and asked me. when i didnt answer, she got the picture and not 2 seconds later my dad and sis walked in and found out what they already knew. it went ok, but i could have done without my mom going into my sisters room and crying saying "its so sinful..." or some shit like that. o well, they dont say shit like that anymore so w/e.

7. MusicIsLife

Grab the bull by the horns. He knows, so telling him should be a piece of cake. Do it!

8. Zach

It sounds like your dad would be cool with it. Especially since he's asked you about it before. If you feel ready, I'd admit it to him :thumbsup: Don't do like I did, I was so afraid of what my parents would think if I told them I was gay, that I ended up dating a few girls, and then getting married (gasp...to a woman :eek:...ok. it wasn't all that bad at the time) But if I had it to do all over, I would have never went that far. I got divorced a couple of years later, and my ex and I departed as good friends. You have to live your life the way you want to... and not how you think you should to please anyone else (including parents). :thumbsup:

9. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I would say do it, tell your parents, its easier at a younger age, trust me.

10. Stuie

Your story made me smile. :slight_smile: I don't think you really have much to lose by coming out to your dad. He seems like he already knows and that he'll accept you no matter what.
    Good luck with it though. You'll be fine. :slight_smile:

11. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like your family would be accepting. That's a good thing! Since your father essentially already knows, you might be able to have a bit of "fun" with it. Maybe watch another gay themed movie and bring it up?

I wouldn't come out as bi because you'd still be lying, and coming out gay now prevents you from having to come out again.

I know how anxious it can be coming out to your parents. I figured mine would be OK with it, but I was still terrified to tell them. Though it was worth it, even though nothing really changed.