1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How am I supposed to act?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Miaplacidus, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Earlier today I had a disturbing chat with my mother.

She was pissed because she says that I don't live here anymore (figuratively). She says that I only eat and sleep, and that I don't pay any attention to her or the rest of the family. "You are there but it is only your body, you have left us already" she says. She is also pissed because I told her that I wanted to get out of Uruguay because I have no future here (and because I don't want to live in a homophobic place where I'm the only gay guy, but that I didn't tell her)

It is true, I've been ignoring my family lately. The thing is, I really don't want to have anything to do with them. It is not because of what she says (she says that I consider them too vulgar), but because of the fact that they simply don't accept my sexuality, as I have told all of you already. Mom keeps calling me fag, for example. Plus, listening to them is depressing - they just drop all their problems on me, problems mostly of economic nature that I can't solve due to obvious.

I would move out but I don't have the money nor anywhere else to go. I don't know what to do. Any advice on this, please?

Thanks,
    Fred.

2. thommthomm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First I am truly sorry that you are enduring this. It must really suck. Is there really absolutely no one you can go to at all?

You are taking this very well and I would want to get out of there as well. I don't know what I can do, but hope it does get better for you.(&&&) (&&&)

3. Micah

Well short from trying to act more "respectfully" towards your family, so you behave how your mum wants, there really isn't a lot you can do besides talk to her.

Try explaining to her you feel uncomfortable where you live and why. Let her know that her calling you a fag hurts you. How else is she supposed to know if you act as though it's all fine?

Of course, there is the option of working and moving out (although I must say I don't know a lot about how difficult that would be for you to do).

4. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tried. She doesn't understand.

It is next to impossible. I have classes in the afternoon and at night. Plus, getting a job in Uruguay is difficult, especially for younger people.