1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dressing snazzy for prom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Owen, May 15, 2009.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this kind of question, considering the serious nature of what is normally posted here. Prom is coming up at my school, and my dad and I plan to go shopping for something for me to wear. I have always been jealous of girls in that they have some sort of variety in their formal attire and we guys don't. When I told this to my sister, she reminded me that, being a gay male, I have a certain amount of leeway in how I dress, so I want to wear something to prom that is formal and respectful while not just being a black tux. We are going the the Garment District, an alternative clothing store, so I don't think we'll have any trouble finding such an outfit. My dad was thinking getting a shirt with ruffles, but I would like to do something a bit less physically obvious while still being snazzy. What kind of things would you guys recommend as a way to dress up without loosing my uniqueness?

2. Cool Beans

You know, I wanted to be a little bit different for prom this year. I decided to go ultra-formal and do a tux with tails and a white bow-tie/white vest. It was special and snazzy without being slap-you-in-the-face loud. Trust me, anything you do feels a hundred times more awesome when you're wearing a tailcoat.

3. Greggers

Hmm...

A white suit? Every prom ALWAYS has one guy in a white suit :slight_smile: You could be that guy! I personally love white suits.

But if you dont want to stick out that much, you could go for something more simple like get a suit with pin-stripes or get a shirt/tie combo that is not as common? I personally think a black suit with pin-stripes and a pink shirt and black/pick stripped tie is drop dead sexy :slight_smile:

Or you could ditch the suit thing and go in a nice vest? Ive done the vest thing to a few weddings because its more colorful and its not as stuffy :slight_smile: Makes dancing much easier too.

Whatever you do though the colors you pick is going to be what defines your formal wear. Unlike women guys dont have as much variety in styles. We cant add crap to a suit like a girl can to a dress, and if we try and accesorize....well, if your fully out you could try that one? haha. So just pick colors that are not so....."Safe".

4. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Hmmm well this year at our prom we had one guy in a lime green suit - the same colour as his girlfriends dress and another in a purple suit. Strange thing is these were two of the straightest guys in the year lol or if you don't want to go that all out what about adding a top hat to the ensemble?