1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another date?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EM68, May 17, 2009.

1. EM68

Last night I went on a date. I met him online. The thing is he had a nice profile, a lot of things I am looking for in a guy, but he had no picture. I did ask for one and he said that he is a good looking guy according to his friends. He also said he was fit and slim. When I met him he was fit, I could tell he worked out but he was not slim at all. He was a little bit overweight. I am not shallow or anything but I was a little turned off by the fact he was not honest about his appearance. He is a nice guy and we had a nice conversation. I could tell that he was a bit nervous and he did say so in not so many words. Also he is a little loud compared to people I am used to. At the end of the date as we went to our cars we agreed to talk during the week and see what happens.

This afternoon he called me. He said he had a good time and likes me as a person. He said he would like to see me again so we can hang out and talk and get to know each other better. He wants to take it slow and see what happens. I am still not too sure about him. I am a little borderline about seeing him again. I wish he called me in a few days so I would have more time to figure things out. I said I would see him again. I think we are going to go out for coffee and go to the Ikea store down the street from me. See what happens.

I am a little confused on how I feel. He did say he was nervous so I figured I would give him another chance. Not too sure if I did the right thing. :confused:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think you did the right thing! :slight_smile:

Despite the fact that he wasn't up front about his appearance and that he was a bit loud, you still seem to have had a nice time with him yesterday. Sure, he could have been a bit more up front about his appearance but when are we actually 100% truthful?

His nervousness might help to explain why he was a bit loud. On the other hand some are just loud speakers. If it is bothering you, you could ask him politely if he could speak a bit softer or not as loud.

But beyond that, the most important thing here is, that he called you up and most likely was really honest with you and told you what he thought about last night. That, at least for me, counts for a lot. I think the fact that he wants to take it slow and see what happens, shows that he is willing to give it a chance and that he is interested in getting to know you better. Given that you have agreed, maybe there is also a part of you that wants to get to know him better too.

As you continue to talk with him, you will see how your own feelings about him develop. You have given him a 'chance' but you have also given yourself the chance to get to know someone better. Go for it!

3. starfish

Humm you said you could tell he works out but is overweight. I wonder if has started working out in order to lose weight. That might explain it. His friends might be giving him a lot of encouragement telling him how good he looks, etc. So that could explain his distorted self view. In that case I would likely forgive that, as he he really was not lying.

The loud part you described is what would stop me from going on another date. I am not very comfortable around real loud and outgoing people. As I am generally quite and reserved.

Of course I don't have a lot of experience in these matters, but I would just advise going with your first response and don't second guess.

4. EM68

I forgot to add something else. He was in a relationship for a few years and his bf moved out of state to be with his sick mom. His bf's mom died and he decided to not move back to MA. He had his profile online for a month or so and I was his first date. So I could see that he could be nervous. I remember when I first dated I was nervous also. I think I will see him again see what happens I am the type to give people a second chance. I do feel better about it. At first I was not sure if I was being foolish.

5. boredofnormal

Never hurts to have another friend. No one said you have to get sexual with everyone you date, and certainly don't have to plan your lives together. I'm beginning to like my expanding circle of friends. It's been hecka fun.

6. EM68

Yea, I know. Expanding your group of friends is important. I do feel better about agreeing to see him again. He sent me an email today to see how my day was going and he looked forward in seeing me again. It was pretty sweet. :slight_smile:

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's pretty good! It seems that he is definitely interested in seeing where things might be heading. It's good that you are feeling a bit better about seeing him again. Hopefully the next get together will be better for the both of you.

8. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Remember that all of our opinions are different :slight_smile: . He may have thought that he was actually in a good weight category.