1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you get away from the grey future?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JakeBHT, May 18, 2009.

1. JakeBHT

Everyday I wake up and it seems like a darker shade of grey. Like everything gets blander more monotone, exept emotion that seems to get more and more potant. Does anyone have any advise or stratagies to get yourself out of this circle. I am going to the doctor with suspected:
    A - deppression
    B - Paranoia
    C - Schizophrenia
    So I know I am in deep, infact if it wasn't for my friends I would probably be floating in the mists of time. So yes help and advise please.:help::help::help:

#1 JakeBHT, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. GlitterEyes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I found myself in this situation only about a year ago, but I was just good at covering it up. Just so you know my advice might not be that good because I have no clue was C is. But anyway, what I did. I realised that I liked this guy, but in my mind I was thinking "he will never like me" so from that I built a reason to live, a reason to be confident and a reason to feel touched by time for what of a better phrase. I still get depressed alot, but it sort of strange because it is different, I prefer this sadness because it is less suicidal. But basically my advice ~ find a reason to live and build from that.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have the option of seeing a psychologist (as opposed to a psychiatrist), I would start there. It's possible that you have a clinical depression and/or the other disorders you mentioned, but (depending on your age) it's also possible that you are simply going through a not-unusual bout of depression that often happens to people, particularly gay people, in their teens.

Psychiatrists are medical doctors and with most of them, their first solution to any psychological problem is to medicate it. And sometimes, that's a good call -- if you genuinely have symptoms of schizophrenia, psychosis, paranoia, etc. But more often, the problems are less severe and respond well to psychotherapy.

In the long run, if you see a good therapist, getting therapy will help you understand *why* you feel the way you do and usually, with understanding, comes a change in your outlook and attitude and the depression and lethargy (and sometimes other symptoms) lift. If the psychologist feels that you also need medication to help you, s/he can refer you to a psychiatrist for medication as well.

I personally believe that our society as a whole is grossly over medicated. It's a lot faster and cheaper to hand someone a pill to artificially lift their mood, but it comes at a cost; most of the people on antidepressants report a sort of "hollow" feeling, and it can interfere with having a full range of emotional expression, and for some people, it also interferes with their sex life, quality of orgasms, etc. Again, that isn't to say there aren't a lot of people that genuinely need medications to help, but in many cases, you can permanently address the feelings of depression and discontent with good therapy, and if that's an option for you, it not only helps with your problems, but helps you to gain a much deeper insight into yourself which will help you to have happier and healthier relationships and life experiences.

4. qisforquinton

Jake, I know exactly how you feel. I can barely get myself out of bed each morning because I don't see the point. The future looks bleak and I feel unmotivated, empty. Like, I've never been bright and cheery, but lately I've just been sitting around doing nothing because I don't see a point behind doing most anything. It's hard to get through each day with a shroud of hopelessness looming over you. Bleh, constant melancholy isn't fun.

5. Totoro

Quite poetic there :3 - Okay on topic:

Friends seem to be the great aspect to development of much more positive emotions. Without them, I, myself would have probably been a completely different person, probably more gloomy, more depressed at my perspective of life. Fortunately, with them, I am much more optimistic (although very morbid with just about anything).

For me, a more interpersonal/social life seems to cleans the mind from the gloomy world. Happiness can come in different forms for different people, I suppose... Finding your purpose for life is probably the essential point to discovering a much more positive outlook on life. Although if you really believe that life is pointless and that you do not have a purpose, then perhaps you fall more under the 'depression' category.

Best to just go to the psychiatrist/psychologist than listen to a stranger bahaha...

That's about all I can think of, blargh... Hope this helps, even in the least.

6. JakeBHT

Kinda quoted my own lyrics a bit there sorry!

Thanks for the advice!

7. Jim1454

Definitely see a therapist or counsellor. We aren't usually capable of dealing with everything that life throws at us on our own. Swallow your pride, admit you need help, and then get some. I waited WAY too long, and the longer you wait the worse it will get. Once I got help - from my doctor and from a therapist - my life started to improve immediately.

I'd highly recommend that EVERYONE have a therapist! It's great!

8. JakeBHT

I already am getting help: 4:00 tomorrow docs appointment.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jake,

Good news! Please keep us informed how it goes.