1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girl/Guy Mode?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tiffany, May 19, 2009.

1. Tiffany

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok, this applies mainly to bisexuals, but I have a question. I tend to go through like a mode.... there'll be a while, where I really want a guy, or I find them more attractive, or something, and then there'll be a period where I really want a woman... but all that used to happen while I'd only ever dated guys. Now, I've dated both, am currently single, and interested in a guy. However, I just can't picture it in my head. Not just physically, but the whole relationship thing. With my last girlfriend, and I hate using this terminology but, I was kind of "the man" or whatever. I took care of her, for sure, not the other way around. Now when I think of going back to a conventional relationship I get confused....

Does any of this make sense? Or am I just messed up? I was also curious to know if any bisexuals out there find themselves happy with one particular gender... or do you always want both. It's never been an issue for me, until I was dating my last boyfriend. He talked about girls all the time, and finally I was like ok, yeah, I do want one actually. And then I didn't want him anymore...

Thanks guys, sorry to ramble about nothing.

2. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Hey Tiffany :slight_smile:

I sort of see what you're saying about finding it hard to picture a relationship with the man you like. But remember that being with a man doesn't necessarily mean you have to have a "conventional" dynamic, with him "looking after" you and whatever. The best thing to do in any couple, male or female, gay or straight, is just to work things out equally depending on the individual characters of the partners. So if you have a boyfriend again, that doesn't mean you suddenly have to become Miss stereotypically weak and defenseless damsel TM again. You can just be yourself. Some guys actually like to be "take care of", so maybe it would work out like that? I understand that it's hard to picture, because in the media we tend to get force-fed just one option, but in fact each relationship is different and lots of men also find that conventional set up restrictive.

As for being happy with either gender... I don't really know because I've never had a serious relationship. I hope you get some answers though :slight_smile: