1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay and catholic?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by crimsonarcher, Jul 9, 2007.

1. crimsonarcher

OK, as you all know, i'm catholic, but since I came out, i'm not so sure...
    i've heard people say "how can you be catholic and be gay?"

i honestly don't know what to believe in anymore.:icon_sad: :icon_sad:

2. xxAngelOnFirexx

believe in whatever you want. there are many gay catholics. they just beleive that the part of the bible the says homosexuality is wrong is misinterpreted. i stopped being catholic, cause i liked not having a comformed religion. but being gay shouldn't make you not able to be a christian. i was wiccan and christian for a long time. i mean catholics hate wiccans too sooo why can't you be gay and christian? now i'm just wiccan and gay. and wiccans accept gays... but i know lots of gays who are catholic. it'll work. don't worry.

3. 24601

I am technically Catholic, I do not believe in Catholicism. It's hard to be a true Catholic and be gay at the same time. In fact, my Catholic upbringing has caused me to have a somewhat deep-rooted dislike of religion, particularly the Abrahmic ones.

Search yourself and find what you believe. Your beliefs don't have to fall under any one religion. If you think you want to maintain a structured religion, and are comfortable in Christianity, you might consider switching over to http://www.ucc.org/

But, like I said, I don't really hold organized religion in high regard, and have pretty much created my own theology from examining life and my interpretation of things.

4. TeeBe

I am gay and Catholic. I used to go to church without fail. I still would, if it weren't for havind a very....:***:ed-up priest. You can do it! It can be hard when you have to confront anti-gay Catholics, but the idea behind the religion holds true! Jesus told us to love everyone. So what is the harm in me bringing a little more love into the world- even if it is with a woman? Of course you can be gay and Catholic!

5. Zec24

I am gay and Catholic. However, I wouldn't consider myself a practicing Catholic, I'm more like emosewa. I really don't go to church often, but ironically when I came out to my parents they made me go talk to our church deacon. He was actually pretty open-minded on the subject, but obviously leaned more toward the religious perspective of it being ultimately a sin. Apparently his daughter was in my situation when she was in college, got involved with a man her final year in college and is now married and fine. I think my parents thought he could convice me that that would happen for me. I also be in my senior year of college this year.

Either way, I also have deep-seated ideas on homosexuality b/c of my religion, I think I'm okay with it one day, but something deep down tells me I'm not quite at through the door of self-acceptance yet.

6. dreamer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I opted out of my own conformation a few years back, didnt go down too well but never told anyone why i did it, if im honest it actually had nothing to do with sexuality but thats by the by. Anyway I still go to church and am a catholic though there are few issues obviously. Personally I don't think it matters. The religion leans towards hetrosexual relationships because of reproduction. In my eyes love is love.

I wont quote the bible because topics on religion can sometimes get a little edgey, but the general gist is that we love on another. Cliche i know but you get the message.

7. Odradek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Im not sure what you should do but if you still want to be in a Christian church and not have to worry about close-mindedness then you could become a Unitarian (sp?) or a Methodist.

8. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't add to what's been said; God and Jesus loved unconditionally, so why shouldn't religion reject any type of love? I believe it's possible to religious life and love anyone you find you do...