1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, now im really confused. [My mother related]

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, May 21, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

When I initially came out to my mom, she seemed fine with it.
    Then she seemed not okay with it, like refused to believe I was Gay, but she seemed able to accept me as "bisexual"
    Then she seemed okay with it again
    Then she started to ask me all these weird questions, almost as if she was trying to make me say "I'm sorry mom, I'm not really gay, just bi."
    And NOW she's saying that she always suspected that I was gay, and that shes always been fine with it.

w.t.f >.<

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sometimes parents need some time to come around to it and be 'clear' in their own mind. In some ways, I think (and this is really just my opinion) it is easier for parents to accept that their child is bisexual, because it still leaves room for 'there is still a possibility for my dreams for my child to come true.' Parents have their own dreams for their children. And of course there also the dreams of having grand kids and all that.

Time seems to have allowed your mum to come around to it, and to come to terms with that maybe her dreams for you will not come true the way she originally thought they would. Saying that 'I always suspected that you were gay' is maybe her way of making peace with it, and trying to understand it better. Maybe when you talk to her the next time, let her know that it is okay to ask you questions. The more you can reassure her that it is okay who you are, the better/easier it will also be for her.

3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Asteroid. It's probably just a part of her "sinking in" process. She spent years and years having all these plans and ideas about how you would lead the rest of your life, and now she has to throw some of them overboard. That's not an easy thing to do.

She probably still hopes at times that if you were bi, you could sift out the girls and just stay with the boys.

Perhaps she might even cycle through this line of thinking once more. But her returning to the idea of accepting you as gay is a good sign!

4. MusicIsLife

:slight_smile: I hope you guys are right. Thanks a bunch!

5. warrior

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well said Asteroid !! I agree with you on that completely.

To the OP:
    I hope your problems will be solved permanently and she will come to accept you as you are. Also, you are lucky, too; not everyone's parent accept them for being a queer, at least your mother did accept you (even if she is making a bit of fuss 'bout it). :wink:

#5 warrior, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009