1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So ok

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Clm102, May 22, 2009.

1. Clm102

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Will I came out to my mom yesterday and she was better than expected. We talked for a long time about if I would tell the rest of the family or not, I told her I would if they ask but she is the only one I want knowing right now. Still feel kinda nervous around her, is that normal? Also feel really happy she knows now that is what is important right?

2. crystaltriforce

congrats on comeing out

3. epiphanies

Congrats. It is fine to still feel weird, and things will get back to normal soon.

4. Jim1454

Yes - it's normal to feel weird around your mom at first. But that will pass. It's great that you've told her. Congratulations - and welcome to EC!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Welcome to EC! First off, congrats on coming out to your mum! :slight_smile:
    As other members have said it is normal to feel weird for a little bit. But as you get used to the idea with your mum knowing, your nervousness will disappear. It's great that you came out and can be yourself around her.

6. Oh God yes. I felt extremely awkward around my mother for a while. But then as time went on, and she didn't become fixated on it, I found there was no reason for me to be either. Like everyone said, it definitely passes.

7. Dazed

Dazed Guest

i still feel really weird around my parents. mostly because my mom is still in shock and my dad makes inappropriate comments.

i hope that feeling goes away.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you think about it, most people are uncomfortable talking about anything sex-related with their parents. Coming out means addressing, if maybe indirectly, issues of being sexual. So it's completely understandable that you'd be feeling a little weird about it.

Most parents have the decency to show a reasonable amount of decorum and not asking for too many details, though a friend of mine who is 20 had his grandparents ask if he was a top or a bottom (though not in those terms), which was an extremely awkward question :slight_smile:

Not to worry, it will definitely get better with time :slight_smile:

9. Mickey

Congratulations! Give it some time,I'm sure it'll be okay.
    Thanks for sharing your story with us.

10. Rob13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, very normal feeling! Like everyone said, as time passes, it will get better. Two factors that I found that made it feel better in coming out to both my parents was.
    1. They have issues to get over having a gay child, but if they are accepting at the start (like your mom), they will resolve them self over time :grin:
    2. Your own self-confidence will grow over time because coming out to people gets easier and you become happier with who you are. So another time thing, but the self-confidence you show, lets your loved ones know you are happy with who you are and will accept it more easily.

So... give it time, you are doing wonderfully! :slight_smile: and good luck with the rest of the family! :slight_smile:

11. pokeypanda

Congrats on coming out! I know that had to be hard to do.