1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ben, May 23, 2009.

1. Ben

Ben

I have a blackboard. It has been sitting in my cupboard for many years now and the chalk has faded quite a bit. I don't want it to fade any more than it has already.

Does anyone know how I can preserve the chalk? This isn't something I can experiment with as it is a one of a kind. I would absolutely hate to see it mess up.

Thanks!

2. Lychee

Not sure whether this would work, but I know there's stuff you spray on charcoal drawings to stop it from smudging... Could possibly use that stuff. But don't quote me on that one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Have you tried going to your local arts and crafts store? Mine are generally very helpful and have loads of ideas

3. Ben

Ben

Yeah somebody mentioned the spray thing, I'm just really reluctant to use it unless I know it will work. Like I can't afford for it to mess up.

I don't think we have a local arts and crafts store. I could ask around though and see if there is one... :slight_smile:

4. Lychee

Maybe if it's that important, you could buy some crappy blackboard and write on it with chalk and use the spray on that as a practise run?

5. Ben

Ben

That's... a really good idea...! :grin: I might just have to do that

6. Lychee

hahah :slight_smile:
    It sounds like it's a pretty damn special blackboard.
    Good luck :slight_smile:
    The results may vary though, as a result of the time factor, but shouldn't be drastically different

7. oops

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You can use hairspray :slight_smile:

8. Ben

Ben

Yeah it's the most special blackboard I will ever have in my possession! I'll see how it goes.

Hairspray... I'm not sure, it might run or something. I don't know maybe hairspray is the key to the world. Who knows.

9. Jim1454

Have you taken a digital picture of the blackboard yet? Then no matter what happens you'll have captured what it says and how it looks.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you can spray clear shellac onto a blackboard to make it "permanent", but as someone wisely suggested, you'll want to do a practice run. :slight_smile:

Lex

11. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    You've made me curious about what it is that's on that blackboard that's so special to you. :lol: Haha.

I think the fixative (stuff people spray on drawings to keep from smudging; I use it all the time) is probably your safest bet. But if you're hesitant, then you could always ask the people at your local art store about it, see what they think. Or you could try it on a different, not so special board. :grin:

12. Ben

Ben

So many good ideas! I've just taken a picture of it. It came out well because I have a good enough camera.
    I will do a practice run with whatever I get my hands on. And the blackboard is double sided, so even if one side messes up I've still got the other. (which means I have to choose one side I'd rather save over the other :confused: That's not going to be easy)
    Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

13. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Hair Spray! we did it in school?? didn't you?? it really works, we used it on chalk work to stop it from smudging, I think it keeps it permanently on.

14. warrior

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Umm, I don't think the question is 'odd' at all .. its sort of interesting, and the answers, too, LOL!

15. GhostDog

You mention fading - do you mean it's faded in color, or it's gotten smudgy/some chalk has fallen off?

Becaaause if you were wanting to preserve its color against fading, you might consider something like archival spray varnish, which has UV stabilizers and reduces some of that.

If it's just white chalk and you want to keep it falling off the board, regular fixatives (or hairspray, I'm told, but I've always used fixative) will work, and aren't quite as nasty, chemical-wise!

16. JakeBHT

Yeah we always used hairspray at school, still do. Never went wrong for me but the advice already posted seems pritty sound!

17. Ben

Ben

Wow I never thought about the colour. It's a light blue, I'm not sure if it's faded over the years, but I can still see it's light blue.

By the fading I meant the chalk just generally falling off (I haven't actually touched the chalk at all ever). It's actually quite a few years old now so I'm surprised I've managed to keep it in such good condition, but I only really get it out of the cupboard two times a year because I don't want to ruin it or shake it around to much and have the chalk possibly come off. I guess the colour is still there because it's constantly in the dark. We'll see how it all goes... :slight_smile: