1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a third, fourth, fifth etc. opinon...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bob4carl09, May 23, 2009.

1. bob4carl09

bob4carl09 Guest

So, I'm deep in revision mode and I honest to God think if I spend any more time in a library this week I'm gonna take my life by causing a bookshelf to fall on me :slight_smile:

So I thought, change of scenary, and head off to this little Starbucks a little out of the city, closer to home and a bit quieter.

After a couple of hours and two triple venti caramal macciato's, my cousing turns up to grab a drink before she started work nearby, and I decide I'll get a drink too but, on account of the triple venti caramal macciato's, thought it best to have something different, less hot and less caffieny!

We get to the til, and this guy is serving, and whilst I'm pretty sure I need to have a gaydar fitted cus mine ain't up to anything, I'm pretty sure that he's gay. Just the way he talks, moves, holds himself, haircut etc (side-query: I can say that without being completely stereotypical/judgemental, right?)

So here's where I need the advice, convo went sorta like this:

Me: What exactly is a ##something on the menu##?
    Him: Oh, it's really nice, ##explains what it is##, yeah that's really nice.
    Me: Ok (kinda pause to think)
    Him: Or we've got ##explains some other drink##. that's really good too.
    Me: Ok (pondering my choices)
    Him: And also we've got ##some java choc chip thing that isn't on the boards but they do, which wins me over##.
    Me: Cool, I'll have one of those then.
    Him: Alright, what size do you want?
    Me: Dunno, it's good yeah? (cus I don't wanna end up with a bucket sized drink I don't like!)
    Him: Really nice, definately.

So I pick my drink and pay blah blah.

Then, while we're waiting at the other end of the bar for the girl to make it, my cousin starts telling me how he was flirting with me, all hand gestures and the way he was talking. And then I realised that he'd undercharged me for it too.

Here's the thing, I don't think he was flirting with me, but after having her little tease, my cousin was pretty adament he was. Not sure why exactly, but this has been on my mind a bit ever since, not like bothering me but still, what do you guys think? Have I completely missed the obvious here, or is it just nice-Starbucks-man selling me a drink?

2. Rob13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In short, it could be one or the other or both! It can be hard to tell sometimes, especially when you are not really trying to look for it, which can be dangerous too! lol. I may have the same problem sometimes... so I either don't care enough to try or I just go back later that day to try and get a response... lol. Can't say I normally do because normally I have better things to do :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. So just give obvious cues that you are interested... if not... you don't even know the guy anyways... lol

Good luck for your future possibly gay cafe boys :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's my take.

The guy didn't hate you.

...and that's about all I can say with any certainty. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is that you can't tell from a conversation like this. It looks totally innocent. And we weren't there to see his hand gestures and the way he was talking.

So yeah, he didn't hate you. And you paid less than you should have, but he might just naturally be bad at math...

5. RaRa

From what you gave us, i'm not 100% sure he is gay. However, the good thing is you can always go back and see what happens. =)

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! You had a brief chat with a guy about what's good to get. I wouldn't read anything into it. He might have punched in the wrong coffee/cup size not realizing it...it happens. :slight_smile: Often times we start reading into things that aren't there and the more we think about it, the harder it becomes to separate our thoughts about the event and what actually did happen.

What to do? Go back a couple of times and see what happens. Like the others said, the only thing you know is that he didn't hate you. :slight_smile:

7. kettleoffish

I'm not sure, but from what I can read into the situation, I'd say he might well have been flirting with you and deliberately short-changed you so you would have a reason to come back and talk to him.

Or maybe he was just a friendly café guy who got the change wrong by accident.

Sorry if that wasn't much help

8. littledinosaurs

Well your sister thinks he did and he undercharged you so there is a good chance he was.
    I guess next time flirt back and be more aware?

9. Just Adam

simon what the hell man :frowning2:... i demand you go back for more drink and talk to the nice man and flirt your ass off and get a date :slight_smile:

10. bob4carl09

bob4carl09 Guest

^ Ads, calm down man :grin:

Tbh, having thought about it since posting I'm coming down on the nice-starbucks-man-and-nothing-more side of things. And I'm a good few months away from jumping into dating anyhow. I realise now (though before woulda been beter hehe) it's prob hard to judge from my description, just wanted to make ute I wasn't missing something blatent in the flirt-o-meter :grin: Thanks guys!!

11. Gumtree

All you can know is that he evidently didn't "dislike" you, that's good enough to take the risk of flirting back in my opinion. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

On a side note, WTF IS WITH AMERICAN COFFEE?!

There is a serious difference going on here!

Whenever I make a coffee for an American tourist here they NEVER EVER (I mean literally no once) Have it any stronger then 1/2 strength and always ask for water added. Like wtf?!

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Whenever I make a coffee for an American tourist here they NEVER EVER (I mean literally no once) Have it any stronger then 1/2 strength and always ask for water added. Like wtf?!

We're even worse with beer. :slight_smile:

Lex

13. paco

paco Guest

take it as an ego boost bud :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: it sounds like flirting. you shoulda just tested it cause i think he was testing you.

ooh you should go back in and tell him that you liked what he suggested before and he must have excellent taste and ask him what else he thinks is good.

ps. i dont drink coffee, just not my thing anyway and lex, i agree! our beer is a disgrace!

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Enh. I don't like beer of any stripe. :slight_smile:

Lex

15. paco

paco Guest

but..but...but...but..beer is just so tasty! and after i drink it i dont have that reflexive pained expression that comes with shooting medicine.