1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom might be doing drugs. o_o

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Time, May 24, 2009.

1. Time

So...my boyfriend and I found some alarming items in my mom's medicine cabinet the other day. On the highest shelf, which I have to stand on the tip of my toes to see, we found a spoon with a white powdery substance and some round white balls [which looked like the substance] on it as well. Next to that was a syringe, although it didn't seem to have anything in it or have been used much. Later on, we found something else on the shelf below that. It was a small, spherical container with three little plastic baggies and more of those white balls that look like the substance on the spoon.

The next day, the spoon and the syringe were gone. The small container remains. What's odd though is that the container isn't very well hidden like the spoon and syringe were.

The syringe could be completely irrelevant. She had Hepatitis C and had to take medicine which required injections, although she's been done with it for a while.

Furthermore, her money seems to disappear pretty fast with nothing to show for it. For example, she had $200 on Thursday. The next day, she had $10. This happens a lot.

She also goes days without sleeping. Her pupils are always dilated too.

Obviously, none of you know my mom, so it's not exactly black and white. But I was hoping I could get some opinions from people here. My boyfriend isn't making a very big deal about it. I guess he doesn't want to believe it. My friends think my mom is a druggie. I don't know what to think.

Thanks.

2. kettleoffish

That's certainly how it sounds from here. Have you discussed this with her, or would she flip out if you tried?

3. White powder and spoon usually indicate heroin. You put the white powder on the spoon, heat it up with a candle usually till it melts and then put it in the syringe and inject it. Heroin makes you feel really relaxed, so that leads me to think it could be coke too. You can heat up coke and inject it, which would explain her going without sleep for days. No one usually thinks of coke like that because the mainstream way is to snort it (that's how I take it). Personally, I think it's all highly coincidental and a red herring. But based on the evidence you've given, that's what I'm able to conjecture.

4. Zac4

my guess would be meth

u should ask her about it but don't hit her all at once or she might freak out on u. get defensive and mad. like put the spoon and baggies on her dresser or someplace so she'll see it and know u know. then give her a day or 2 to bring it up to u and if she doesnt then ask her. least thats what my dad did with me so thats the only point of ref i got for how to bring it up.

and dont believe all the live above the influence bs commercials. if shes getting high once in a while doesnt mean shes an addict or off the deep end and its not the end of the world, jsut talk to her if it bothers u.

5. Time

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the container.

6. Time

I think I'm going to confront her...I know she'll be extremely defensive. I bet she already has an elaborate cover story planned.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. The only problem is that the spoon didn't look like it had been heated up at all.

7. Zac4

is it a tiny spoon or a normal spoon?

tiny one would be for doing bumps, not heating it.

#7 Zac4, May 24, 2009
    Last edited: May 24, 2009
  8. Time

It's normal size.

9. Hard to tell from the picture of the container. It doesn't look like freebase coke which is more clear and crystalline, and also not like heroin which is usually a fine powder when bought. I don't know to be sure though, truth be told you can heat up almost any drug and inject it. So it's really only a wild guess as to what it is.

10. Zac4

taste it, does it numb ur tongue?

11. Ben

Ben

Nonononononon don't taste it...!!!

12. Time

Yeah, I'm not going to taste it...=s

So basically, are we all in agreement here that she's probably doing drugs?

I guess I should probably confront her soon...

13. tazzie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hope stuff gets sorted out

14. EM68

Before you come out to her, do you have a place you can go to like a friend's or relative's house if things get bad after you confront her? What ever you do good luck! If she is into drugs, I hope she gets the help she needs.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm inclined to agree with Zac on this one. It's a little hard to tell, but from the picture, it looks like the white things could be meth rocks, and meth use is at epidemic levels in many parts of Arkansas.

The going days without sleeping, and the pinpoint pupils are also consistent with meth use, as is the spoon and the syringe. I am more inclined to think this over cocaine, since it's pretty rare to inject cocaine by itself, unless she's doing "speedballs" which are a mix of cocaine and heroin. The cotton balls are used as a filter to draw the drugs into the syringe and prevent injecting undissolved stuff into the bloodstream. But in any case, any of the above represent a very serious concern, and it's pretty hard to come up with any plausible explanation given this combination of things.

While it is possible to occasionally use coke or even heroin (not that I recommend trying either - the likelihood of addiction is extremely high), it is nearly impossible to occasionally use crystal, particularly if it's being injected. Not to unnecessarily alarm you, but if it is meth, and if she is injecting, the likelihood that she has a serious, ongoing addiction is very high, based on the evidence that you've presented.

The very first step is making sure you have somewhere safe to go. The second step is locating someone older that you can really trust to help you; if she is injecting, this is not something she is likely to be able to kick by herself and more than likely, she will get better at hiding the evidence and telling you she's clean rather than actually doing anything about it. The third step is confronting her, but assume that she will probably lie to you; addicts almost never tell the truth about their use of drugs to anyone, including loved ones.

You might want to consider calling the local chapter of NA (Narcotics Anonymous) and seeing if they can refer you to an Alateen meeting where you can meet others your age who are having similar experiences and talk to them about coping strategies.

I feel for your situation. I had a good friend in his mid-20s who was also a housemate of mine, and he went down the path with heroin. I'm sure a lot of thoughts are running through your mind, but just keep in mind that there are resources out there that can help you, and it's something you will definitely get through with help from those around you and here at EC.

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Does your Dad live with you? If he's not around, I'd find a trusted adult to confront your mom with you. Its harder to lie to two people and should your mom go ballistic its better to have somebody else by your side.

17. littledinosaurs

I'd definitely make sure you have somewhere to stay if things go south.
    :/
    Stage an intervention?

18. Zac4

mmmm ya probly not the greatest idea :rolleyes:

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm I know this may seem like a strange idea but Time, I suggest you go in to a doctor's office and tell them you recently found the pills and the powder. Then you should bring it in for him. I only say not to bring it in right off the bat because you should let him know first. The only reason why I'm maybe a little skeptical is it is possible he could think you're taking the pills not you're mom...though most doctors last I checked don't decide to be idiots and think you're lying. But I dunno, up to you, I just think you shoul get your facts first before confronting her, and Doctors or Pharmacists would most likely know what the substances are.

20. Techcompu2

I agree 100% with becky here.

Having no close experience with drugs, I would not know what type of drugs it might be.

I don't suggest snooping, but if you happen to come across the spoon, powder, or syringe again, I would suggest taking a clear picture of them without disturbing them at all. That may sound weird, but it could come in handy later. Remember that the best place to hide something is in plain sight.

I am guessing that the $200 you mentioned was cash, because if she were trying to hide this, that would be the hardest way to track.