1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFLAG, experiences? advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Aero, May 25, 2009.

1. Aero

I'm thinking of going to a PFLAG meeting this Wednesday (Calgary, Alberta), and I'm not quite sure what to expect... I know-- it's a support group... so I guess I kinda have an idea. But, if anyone's been to one and had some positive (or not-so-positive) experiences, it would be helpful to hear them (I'm afraid I'm going show up, case the joint and chicken out).

I came out to a few friends a couple years ago. All were positive responses, but some told others, not the best experience overall... I was a private person to begin with, and now it seems so hard to trust people... 2 years have gone by and I'm still in the same spot. :eusa_doh:

Most people still don't know, and I'm not too concerned about informing them.
    I'm looking to move on, and meet some new people, but not planning to ditch old friends.

It's just that all my friends are straight, so I get those occasional feelings of complete isolation (which I know people here understand). It's stressful, but I deal...
    I think it be nice to meet some people --- anyone-- L, G, B, or T... just people to identify with (not to take away from EC.. everyone here is great, I just wish I could meet some of you in person).

I think PFLAG sounds like a good place so start, if anyone knows of some other places, I'm open to trying it out. I'm new at this (to be honest, I only came to know about PFLAG in some random post last week).:icon_redf

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    (*hug*)

2. Greggers

Im sure she will post on the thread, but try PM'ing Beckyg :slight_smile:

she is the go-to girl for PFLAG info.

3. EM68

I go to PFLAG meetings. It is great. They helped me work through a lot of issues. It was good to talk to people that are not judgmental at all. One of the things that I liked about the group is that whatever is said in the meeting is kept in the meeting.

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PFLAG is an amazing group... my mum and I attended regularly for two or three years and I think it really helped us understand what the other person was going through. It is primarily for non-gay people with gay family members and friends, though, so you will want to keep that in mind when you go. The people there, however, will probably have some good suggestions for where to meet other gay people.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend PFLAG to people, though. It's a tremendously supportive group.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    PFLAG....the greatest non-profit organization on the planet! (I'm biased!) lol I am the President of PFLAG Central Oregon. My chapter (as well as alot of others) are about half straight/ half gay people. We have a couple transgender people as well.

Like EM68 said, we are not judgmental at all! You will find total love and acceptance for who you are at our meetings. Usually you will be greeted at the welcome table where you can choose to pick up information. At each meeting there is usually an educational program or movie with time for discussion at the end. Some chapters have break-out support groups where you can talk about your issues with people who understand.

I highly recommend you attend.

6. Aero

Yeah, unfortunately, the only women's group I could locate around here, is no longer active..
    but judging from all your comments, I don't think I'll be too out of place.

Thanks All!