1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching Schools?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stymied, May 25, 2009.

1. stymied

stymied Guest

I realized that I do not want to spend the next two years of my life at the school I'm at right now this past week. Not that it's terrible, it's just overwhelmingly mediocre. I can't come out, I don't get along with any of the macho straight guys and even class is boring me right now. The only thing is that I'm smack dab in the middle of high school, just finishing up grade 10 in a few weeks.

If I let my current school, I would go to the nearest public high school, which is just a few blocks from my house. The thing is, I know a total of zero people there. Being the new kid in grade 11 is not exactly appealing.

The biggest pro of a new school is that it is welcoming to gay teens. That means I could probably come out there.

I want your thoughts. I need people to think this out first before I make any stupid decisions.

2. Zac4

i switched in the middle of 10th, switched states so it was all diffrent. culture shock from hell. at least u are already living there so it wont be so weird. xcept it sounds as if u r in a private school now so u might want to dress down a little , try to fit in.
    dont u have neighbors or something? u probly know more ppl than u think that go there if its in ur district.
    if u r going to change, maybe spend the summer hanging around the pool or mall or wherever to and get to know others that go there.

good luck

3. epiphanies

Growing up I moved a LOT. New schools can be scary, but most of the time I have found that the new kids are welcomed and everyone wants to get to know them. It sounds like it would be a more pleasant environment and you don't want to spend the next two years feeling miserable. I would say go for it.

4. Mick

Mick Guest

Dude, I'd say it's a good idea. I went to some all boys private school to see how I would do in it in 10th grade, it was the biggest mistake of my life. So I went back to public school in 11th grade. So ya know what, go for it! I say go to public school and forget these private schools. I heard these private schools nowadays are going to become a thing of the past due to enrollment. I'm wondering how private schools are even still in commission during this dreary and depressing economy we're in (not sure if it affects Canada). Good thing you're not going to a public school in NY, now they're really bad in my opinion.

5. Clm102

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    A new beginning is always scary no matter if you are gay or straight. Just think about what you want, the answer will come to you. Also you always have this place to help and talk.

6. Miles D

The way I transitioned/came out was to switch schools (granted, I also skipped two grades and moved 3,000 miles away.)
    but I think it's a great idea. I hope it works out! :grin:

7. Mickey

You have all summer to decide,right? If so,take your time,weigh the pros & cons and talk
    to your parents. I think you'd be more comfortable in a place where you can be yourself.
    Whatever you decide,I wish you all the best.

8. Doreibo

Ok, I'm in year 11 right now and we have had quite a few new kids come to our school this year. They pretty much slid into the routine and made heaps of friends straight away, and I'm in a private all boys school. As you can see I'm not out, and no one else is either (I don't think) but in a public school you can probably find heaps of people who you can associate with. The good thing about the public schools is the variety of students and the openness of it all. What I'm trying to get at is that if you want to move schools then do so. Don't feel pressured to go but don't feel pressured to stay either. Just make a choice and do it, your choice. Walk your own path and follow your heart. Whatever happens afterwards happens. I'm sure it will work out fine.

9. KittyBoy

I also go to an all-boy private school, and I'm in yr 12. I can't come out due to the fact that a) It is all boy b) It is a pius Catholic school. Our school is always getting new students, even during the middle of the year. I agree with Doreibo that it would be easier, due to the fact that there are tonnes of people who you can associate with, the variety would be beneficial. Though, just do what you think is best.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll have many situations (college, jobs, new social groups, etc) where you won't know anyone. It's always a little scary, but it's likely that you'll fit in just fine, and without people having preconceived notions of you, it gives you the opportunity to present yourself in whatever way you choose.

But ultimately, you just have to follow your heart and do what feels right :slight_smile: