1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Offically Hate Medication

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geist, May 26, 2009.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    so my boyfriend recently started taking a medication to help clear up a severe case of acne that would last his entire life. Unfortunately it comes with a few side effects that has caused our relationship a few bumps. Because he only weighs about 130 he has to take the minimal amount which is still too much for his system.

The physical effects of this medication is that his hands have actually broken out into little scabs and the skin on his face has begun to peel off and he has begun to develop several red fissures on his face. These effects don't bother me at all, but it is the emotional side effects that have caused us trouble.

The medication also has a tendency to make him very uncaring about the environment around him. It makes him distant and while at good times he does have small pockets of normal behavior, these periods are often filled with him worrying about how he becomes distant during most of the time. The medication also has a tendency to make him worry and to think that things are wrong when everything is fine. He worries that I am annoyed by his erratic behavior. Honestly I'm not I just wish that he didn't feel that way and I wish that the medication would just stop having these effects.

I don't really know what to do except wait it out and hope that he is ok. I just hate what the medication is doing to him

2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

If he's having severe side effects on his meds, he needs to get to the doctor asap.

3. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He already has, but they said that it was normal for his weight and that as long as it doesn't get any worse he just needs to wait it out

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never understood why someone would take a medication with a ton of side effects including mood changes and so forth to deal with something like acne. For me, my mental and physical health is a lot more important than cosmetic issues, but then again, I might not have felt that way when I was a teenager. But it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If he's set on this course of action, it sounds like there isn't much you can do. If he doesn't like the way he's feeling, there are other, more natural options for dealing with acne that are less severe and often work.

5. Doreibo

It sounds as if he is really worried and under stress because of these meds. What he needs is two things. A solution, which can come in many forms such as giving the meds up or continuing and hoping the side effects will stop. The other thing he needs is you. It is good to hear you aren't annoyed by the side effects and that all you are worried about is his own worries. Stay strong for him and be there for him. I'm sure the solution will pop up soon, and I'm glad he has some one like you there for him.