1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Gay Homophobe?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hikari979, May 27, 2009.

1. hikari979

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, this is my first advice post, and I have some questions. Some background first; this past year, I made my one and only male friend (I am not out to him). He is really awesome, except sometimes he can be homophobic. And the thing is, I have a feeling that he is gay. He has very feminine ways of behaving, I have never heard him talk about girls, he shares the same interests as me (which are stereotypically gay), and he is the one male in my grade I can actually get along with. I think he says these homophobic remarks as a way to cover up his sexual oreiantation, because his parents are very, very conservative. So my questions are; Have any of you had any experiences with a person like this? And do you think I should confront him? Thank you for your replies in advance.

2. riddlerno1

Do you want to come out to him? Rather than confront him, it may be wise to talk to him about it. Question him on it like you are having a discussion. This may help

3. Alex19

i dont think that you should confront him about it bluntly. his sexuality, anyway. as for the remarks, you could say something like, "do you not like gay ppl or something?" if he says no, then you can go from there on trying to make him... less homophobic? im not really sure, ive never been in a situation like this. but if it ever came down to it, and the time was right and you were ready, you could tell him your gay.

i hope i was somewhat helpful, but im sure someone else will post something better.

4. byeee

Homophobia is sometimes, but not always, a way to cope with denial.
    I think you should not confront him, rather talk to him (as a friend) and be open. If he's comfortable enough, he'll share, or if you're comfortable enough, you can come out to him first.
    And last but not least, stereotypes don't always work - I have a couple of friends people keep telling me have "gay gestures" but my gaydar doesn't blink at all. And it blinked right for some.

5. hikari979

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was thinking about coming out to him, but then I got scared that he would actually turn out to be a real homophobe. I think that is highly unlikely though. I think I should tell him, and if he is gay, it will help him in his own process. But I am scared that if he is indeed straight, I will lose one of my friends.

6. Jim1454

Well, you'll be losing a friend who makes homophobic remarks, and who you feel uncomfortable being with as a result. I wouldn't want a friend like that anyway. You'll have this 'secret' hanging over you the whole time you're together - and especiailly when he makes thos homophobic remarks. That won't be good for the friendship OR your self esteem.

He doesn't need to be gay to realize that his homophobic remarks are unacceptable and completely wrong. He can still be your friend even if he is straight. I still have all my straight friends.

I'd suggest coming out to him. Or look to make new friends that aren't homophobic.

7. Just Adam

ive known gay guys hide sexuality with homophobic attitude ... but i agree dont ask bluntly just say theres nothing wrong with gay people he may do this around you to hide from you hes gay cos he may think you might not accept him. by makeing a statment that gays are ok :slight_smile: then he may come out or agree if you ask him.

you could just ask him why he says these things that sometimes works.

take care

8. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

I totally agree with Jim there. If he dumps you as a friend because you're gay...well then he wasn't a friend to start off with. Good luck.(*hug*)

9. hikari979

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We are going hang out tomorrow and then go to a concert, so I think I will tell him. My friend who I'm out to will be there, so I have a backup if things don't go well. And if he doesn't like it, I'm still going to the concert with or without him. I can't miss No Doubt.

10. Jim1454

^ Sounds like a good plan! Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

11. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe he's straight? And he's just feminine.

12. JakeBHT

I would be gentle, come out to him. Then gradually intrioduce the idea of him maybe not being completely sure of his sexuality. Just really slowely and gently and or course as always supportively!

13. DexterMorgan

Pretty common for closeted gays to be homophobes. I hated everything gay because I wanted to distance myself away from that stuff...and not look gay.

14. kettleoffish

Telling him after the concert sounds like a great idea to me, everyone is always pumped up and in a good mood after concerts (and usually a bit drunk). It's a good time to come out to someone, because the adrenaline gives you confidence, and you've just spent a few hours in each others' company having a great time together, so you are in a good place to pull the friend card if they don't take it well. Good luck (*hug*)

15. hikari979

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you all for your help! Wish me luck

16. kettleoffish

I just did >.<

seriously though, good luck mate :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Mickey

Good luck. Remember,we got your back!

18. limfjord96

that was me in high school..enough said

19. RaRa

OH.MY.EFFING.GOD.

Is the the No Doubt + Paramore concert?

I think i'm gonna cry. ;_;

20. limfjord96

lol..you know gwenn isnt as good as she once was :O....and i am a fan of original no doubt, like in the 90s when they were good, but they sound bad now...i slapped myself Raf so you dont have to