1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do about my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Danielle, May 27, 2009.

1. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Quite simply right now I can't stand be around them they are driving me f**king insane, they expect me to conform to their standards and I thought I made crystal clear to them I don't want to and don't intend to.

I go to the lengths of making sure that nobody, not even my brother knows that I am transgender because they make it quite clear that they don't want anyone to know, god forbid that anyone sees their and their family as anything other than normal. They don't know how f**king much it takes out of me to act like that, to act like I am happy, to act like I am their golden boy who doesn't put a step wrong. I thought I was past that and that they would support like they said they would.

And then I want to that makes me happy, isn't even related to being transgender in fact it is a stereotypical male thing but they get pissed off about, I do everything they ask me to, I act how they want me to, I do what they want me to do and all I ask is for a little me time and they chuck it back in my face.

What am I supposed to do about them?

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

How did they chuck it back at you?

I would confront them appropriately. But, becareful how you do it, okay? Otherwise it can lead to serious ramifications. Transgendered/Intersexed people are not all that understood in my gay community, let alone school so I could see why they could be embarassed or fearful. For people who don't experience these things, there's a complete lack of understanding.

Maybe try educating them on it?
    Sounds like you're out already; so perhaps another coming out is in order? Only this time explaining your transcendence?

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How deeply have you spoken with them about being trans? If you ask them what it is exactly that they don't like about it, and they reply honestly, you might be able to share some information, some resources or some of your feelings that could help them to understand. If they just won't listen to what you have to say, time is probably the best option - as much as it hurts right now, they might calm down after they've had some more time to let everything sink in. (*hug*)

4. Jim1454

You have to accept the things you can not change. Who your parents are would fall into that category. So you need to figure out how to best 'deal' with them. Talk to them maturely and calmly about how you're feeling. Don't 'tell' them what they're doing wrong. Tell them how you feel when they do certain things. Just how you feel. Becaues they can't argue with your feelings - they are yours and they are legitimate.

They need to better understand how their actions are affecting you.

To a certain extent, as you are 16, they are responsible for your wellbeing. If they feel that you should or shouldn't do certain things, that's their call. Until you're old enough to 'call all the shots' then you need to live by the standards that they set out. Make the best of it.