1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride Festivals

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Emberstone, May 28, 2009.

1. Emberstone

So, Salem just announced the date fofr 2009's pride event. I didnt go last year, as it happened a few weeks after I finally came out to my parents, so I was not fully comfortable with the idea yet of being out publicly.

I am thinking of going this year, mainly because I need to push through my nerviousness if I am going to make progress in the more emotional aspects of coming out as gay. I really dont know what to expect from a pride festival. I have seen reports on them which often have people seeking to help educate about homosexual lifestyles, local gay friendly buisnesses setting up booths, and gay clubs and organizations having booths to help get more people active and involved. I think that is wonderful, and I might get a great deal of use out of these things.

But I really dont know beyond that exactly what to expect. I will be going alone, mainly because its not like I know someone to go with anyways, but maybe I might make a few friends in the area who can help me become more comfortable in my skin, and introduce me more to the scene in the area.

2. Greggers

This is my first year too :slight_smile: I hope to attend the victora and vancouver pride.

Definitely try and drag a friend into going. A girl maybe? I have my fag hag on board for atleast the vancouver one hehe.

As for what to expect, ive seen alot of videos (filmed by real people, not edited for media use) and basically expect EVERYTHING. LGBT people dont fit neatly into one little pile, so you will see major amounts of diversity. Every type of LGBT person from everyone walk of life tend to show up. I would not worry to much because from what ive seen and heard its a VERY welcoming and friendly environment and no one feels left out :slight_smile:

Try and have fun! Thats the goal behind these things. Be happy and gay :wink:

3. Emberstone

as long as I dont get hit on by guys 40 years my senior, I am fine.

I need it break out of my shell a bit, and this seems like a way to do it.

4. riddlerno1

Ive never been and i am gonna try to go to the one in London on 4th July.

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're fun. xD I've been to Melbourne's Pride twice, and have had a great time both times. If you don't have anyone to go with, that's fine, I went on my own the first time and ended up merging with a couple of really nice people. There are people of every age, race, attitude, personality, walk of life, although it's usually only the most flamboyant who make the news. I've always found it to be a really happy and accepting atmosphere. Have fun!

6. twixy30

ive never been to one but would like to go does any one know of one in texas?

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    If you happen to make it up to Portland for their pride, I will be walking with PFLAG. Yes, expect everything. You'll see the Community of Welcoming congregations to scantily dressed men and drag queens. I love Pride! Everybody needs to experience it at least once! If its not your thing, then fine. At least you'll have based your opinions based on experience.

A funny thing happened the first time I went to a Pride. My husband and daughter were waiting at the end of the parade to pick me up. The "Dykes on Bikes" lost their shirts by the end. My husband didn't mind at all but my daughter said "Is that legal?" lol I don't think they cared whether it was legal or not.

8. Ty

Ty

I'll be at Brighton and London this year. Might just pop along to Oxford though, but it's not really that big so je ne sais pas.

9. Emberstone

I have considered going to portland... I can afford it now that I am moving out. I could skim a bit off my food budget.

I probably will just stay with the salem one for now, since I dont like driving on the freeway too much after my accident.

10. funkmonk

im hopeing Aberdeen Scotland gets a pride festival we didnt get one last year :frowning2:

11. Just Adam

i hadent even thought about going to london pride...hmmmm

12. Markio

San Francisco Pride, baby! I'm going with four friends, and my mom thinks I'm going to a four-day birthday party in Alameda.:thumbsup:

I would definitely recommend bringing at least one friend. Not that I would know from experience, but at least when clubbing it feels a lot safer to have someone there you know and can count on.(&&&)

13. Ty

Ty

Last year was pretty awesome. You should go!

14. Maybe I'll get my mother to take me to the Boston one. She loves them anyway.

15. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

Thinking of going to brighton it will be my first time... :slight_smile: can anyone tell me what date it is?

16. Mana

I'm hopefully going to London (if my mum stops being paranoid) and Norwich (If I can find someone to drag along)

17. Just Adam

is it on the 4th?

18. sdc91

There's one in pretty much every major city. If you want to make the drive (I think it'd be worth it), Houston's is on June 27 at 8:45-11:00 PM. It's the only nighttime pride event that I know of in the SW (since it's so hot during the day), so there's a lot of lights and glowsticks, plus you don't burn up. I haven't gone to it yet, but I'll probably be there this year.

I went to Dallas's pride parade last year, but it was held in September. I don't know if you want to wait that long to go to one. It's called the Alan Ross Freedom Parade and it'll be Sunday, September 20, 2009, during the day. I think it was early afternoon last year. It was a lot of fun, and there's a festival in a park afterward with entertainment and booths. Houston has a festival, too, sometime. Not sure when.

And of course, you can always check SA and Austin for their parades, but I think Dallas and Houston are the two biggest. Dallas's was decently attended, but I thought it'd be bigger for being such a large city.

19. EM68

I plan to go to Boston's on June 13th. I am thinking of asking the guy I am seeing to come along. Can't wait!!

20. starfish

The Austin one is at night. Starts at 8pm IIRC.