1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward Situations...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DexterMorgan, May 31, 2009.

1. DexterMorgan

I'm not really OUT there, you know? I'm not screaming "I'm gay!!!!" at the top of my lungs 24-7... But there's this guy I know, we're not really friends...we just talk sometimes. And a lot of times he can be an asshole. I wasn't out to him before this.

So one day he talked about virginity. He asked me, "So, do you still have it?" and I just looked at him with a blank face and shrugged. He went on, "How many girls have you lost it to!?" I mumbled, "Girls....ugh" ,he heard me. So he yelled out "What!? Are you gay or something man!!!" "Eww dog, you're gayyyy!", he fell silent, the class stopped their conversations and kinda looked at me for a few seconds...My friend started a new conversation, and the guy forgot about it....the day carried on.

So the next day, I was talking to my friend about what we're gonna do for the last day of school. The guy interrupted us and asked me "Why are you so gay....?" I paused and said, "I don't know..."(Bad choice of words!). He yelled "Ugh! You're gay!?" and the rest of the class looked back at me again, just like the day before...It was deja vu. I was petrified.

What do you guys do in situations like this? What do I do if this happens again?

2. acorn7

Um, this guy is a total jerk! If you want to be open to your class, you could answer, "Yeah, so what!?". If you don't, just something like "Mind your own business" with a slightly bitchy and disinterested look could do it. But mostly cut off contact with him, he seems highly unpleasant...

3. Just Adam

id prob break his nose stand up and say so what if im gay whats wrong with that! it shouldent matter who i love , i dont hurt you, i dont discriminate you so what makes you think you have the right to judge me..... then address the class and ask does anyone else have any problem with me. dont wait for an answer get up and leave class go and have a beer :slight_smile:... well a coffee in your case :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: lol

4. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Dont be afraid to stand up for yourself. He personalized it, so allow yourself to get personal.

5. twixy30

sound to me like this guys an ass and it does not matter if you are sounds to me he jelous of you. sorry he was suck an ass hope it get better

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Say "I am who I am. Those who matter won't care and those who care, don't matter!"

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^ I love that advice ^^^

It's possible his family is homophobic. It's even possible that he's questioning his own sexuality. In any case, it needn't have any affect on you. It sounds like you did a great job of standing up for yourself. Just hold your ground, and he'll back down.

8. Markio

Smile suggestively at him and loudly say, "Small world, huh?" :icon_wink

No, that would probably be bad. Maybe acknowledge the context. If a guy says to you loudly in class, "You're gay?!" Just answer, "Dude, I'm just sitting here! Calm down." If he persists, you could continue with, "Why are you so interested, anyway?" implying that he's the one pushing for the gay-themed conversation.

Not that there's anything wrong with gay-themed conversation, unless it's at the expense of someone.

9. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm asked something along those lines, I tend to reply with a simple nod and a matter-of-fact "yes", and then go back to whatever it was I was doing. That's not what they expect, and it can knock the wind out of their sails.