1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fool me once....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by carrie90, Jun 1, 2009.

1. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    Ok so i was wondering about the old expression 'once a cheat always a cheat' is this real, if you cheat once are you destined to always be a cheater.

The reason i ask this is because some who know me will know the story of my current situation and for those who dont know ill quickly fill you in I had a girlfriend for a year and made a huge mistake and slept with someone else (I dont know what was going on in my head at the time but i instantly regreted it) my ex was my best friend and i love her more than anything

We have been getting close again recently to the point where we have almost kissed, I think maybe we are going down the right road to possibly getting back together one day but strangly enough i dont want to if im always destined to be a cheater, I don't know what i would do if i ever hurt her again.

I guess what im saying is wouldn't want the expression 'fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me' to apply to my ex so just interested in everybodys thoughts

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it was a one-off mistake, you know it was a mistake and you're determined to never do it again, I think you're good. If you find yourself falling into a pattern of cheating in the future, that would be a problem, but that hasn't happened and you don't want it to happen, so focus on that.

3. twixy30

well i have believed that in the past but i also believe in second chances you said you made a mistake we all make them noone is perfect anyone say they are them they are lying so just remember you can change and not go back to your old ways and i think you will be fine. be true to yourself and be honest with her always and good luck to you

4. Doreibo

The thing with *forever being something*, is that you probably won't. If you make a mistake, you learn from it. If you don't then you just keep making the same mistake until you do. Your not always going to be a cheater. Besides, sometimes things just. . .happen. They are more inexplainable the more you think about it. Don't worry! You sound as if you love her enough though, so I'm sure you can make it stick.

5. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the fact that you instantly regretted it says a lot. I don't think that, based on how you say you feel/felt about it you'll be able to do it again. You seem to know that what you did was wrong, the pain it caused for her and you, and the consequences that ensued, in your relationship with her, in your emotions/thoughts, and your life really.
    I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you don't forget...

6. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Hmmm well in my opinion I don't think it means that you are always going to be a cheat but I am the sort of person that believes that if it doesn't work the first time - especially in the instance of cheating then it's probably not going to work a second time.

7. Eleanor Rigby

You did one mistake, you have realised immediatly that it was a mistake and you deeply regret it. I see no reason for you to become a complulory cheater :wink:
    On the contrary, I think you have learned from that experience what you realy value in a relationship and that you don't want to throw it away for random reasons.
    Everyone has the right to do mistakes, the important thing is to learn about them and it's what you did. I think you'll be less inclined to cheat on your girlfriend now that you would have been if you hadn't done that mistake already.
    I wish you all the best, Eleanor

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You immediately thought it was wrong, and you're afraid of making the same mistake again... I'd say that shows that you learned from it. So it's not likely that you'll cheat on her again.

On the other hand, the old joke applies:
    "Doctor, I broke my arm in two different places. What should I do?"
    "Don't visit those places again!"

By which I mean: you know under what circumstances you slipped up. Try to avoid similar circumstances, just to be on the safe side.