1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A thought on "choice"...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NeSiGaXe, Jun 4, 2009.

1. NeSiGaXe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We never chose to be gay or bi, or trans, or "genderqueer", or any of this.
    This is just how we end up by chance.

We chose to be honest with ourselves. We chose to tell the truth.
    In fact, we chose to do the most moral thing we could.

We chose to be honest.

Just a thought :slight_smile:

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

"We chose to do the most moral thing we could."?

Hmm. Debatable.

But Enigma approves the rest.

3. NeSiGaXe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was typing too quickly, I think. Let me amend that: If fact, what we choose is moral by any standard I'm familiar with.

4. paco

paco Guest

of course we didnt choose to be gay. we just chose not to torture ourselves with a straight lifestyle. i mean, for the "moral" argument, if we chose to live straight we would never love whoever we were with and that's unfair to them and us. not to mention that denying ourselves of our baser instincts would cause so much inner turmoil that we would probably suffer insanity to a degree, and then cheat by having anonymous dangerous sex in back alleys

5. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the western world we have that choice...although it's easier for some than it is for others. Unfortunately there are parts of the world where people have the choice between expressing their true sexuality and being killed or following the law and societies rules. I think about those people everyday and hope one day they will be accepted for who they are.

6. Mickey

I know I didn't "choose" to be a lesbian. I did,however,"choose" to live my life,being true to myself. It's usually straight people who think being gay is a choice. Sorry,that just irritates the hell outa me!

7. Just Adam

i dident choose the way i am i would never of choosen this. its extremelly hard.

as for morality i have made the moral decision to not get close to anyone anymore without beeing honest and open about my sexuality as i dont want a friendship where when im honest it falls apart its far to painful i cant take that again and i dont want to hurt people by lieing or dragging them into a relationship i cant love them in.

morality would have me come out to everyone that im not what they consider normal that i have feelings for men, but due to the fear and consiquenses i remain in the morally grey category

8. Dare2bProud

Well said .. I came out and than dated a few girls afterwards. I felt so oppressed whenever I did and tried too hard. Although, I still keep fighting it. I was at a wedding last night and watching married men & women together ... it seems as if I am hopeless to ever have a life like that. I know same sex people can have ceremonies and such ... but I don't know ...

9. NeSiGaXe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dare: It's a hard thing to hear, but I'll say it anyway: be patient. One day, you'll find the one who brings you true joy.

I hope so, anyway. I'm still kissing toads to see if one turns into my prince. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#10 NeSiGaXe, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  10. Greggers

I have seen some BEAUTIFUL Same Sex weddings in Canada. Its totally legal and acceptable here. Its 0% different than any heterosexual marriage, as it should be.

Maybe you dont live in Canada, but just know there are places in the world that are accepting and that you can have what you seek. You dont have to feel different just because you love different. (*hug*)

11. djt820

Debateable indeed. No further input by me.

12. touchofgrey

"We chose to be honest."

That really struck a chord with me because I've been having lots of thoughts about my discovery of maybe being gay.... sometimes I stop and say, "This choice is going to affect my whole life, am I sure I want to do this?" and then I remember, no, being gay is not a choice-- it's just who I am. The only choice I'm making is the choice to be honest with myself and honor who I really am.

Thanks for bringing this up.