1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it that some people find themselves attracted only to specific races?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by edogs334, Jun 6, 2009.

1. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know, asking that question is probably akin to asking "why is the sky blue?" but I just find it personally troubling on some level. Specifically, I'm white, and so far have found that I'm only attracted to white guys. I've met plenty of black guys (who are gay) who are quite handsome, but I'm just not as attracted to them. I wish I was one of those people who was equally attracted to guys of all races- might this change over time? Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Why is it troubling? It for the most part, is probably not race related but what you find attractive. I am black, sweety, and I don't find any black men hot. I don't think it's racist, I just don't think any I've seen have been sexy. Don't fix what's not broken. If you're unhappy, then fix it. But honestly, nothing's wrong...at least in my eye.

Unless you've come to a problem like

You: Omfg I love him...but he's black/asian/purple!!

Then you might have a problem.
    I know it sucks, but be grateful. I have the unfortunate pleasure of having all my relationships bi-racial, unfortunately.

3. mattypants

i find it troubling to, but i deem it a social fault that were expected now to find everyone equally attractive.
    they seem to have gotten attraction switched with beauty.
    my cent

4. Nodnarb

I agree with The Enigma; I don't think it's a problem. Just a matter of what you prefer, I guess.

I live in an extremely non-racially diverse area, so pretty much all the guys I'm attracted to are white. But, I have had crushes on a couple black guys, and an Asian guy once, so I don't think I only find myself attracted to guys of the same race.

5. Derek the Wolf

People have their sexual preferences (maybe not the best way to phrase it, but it's true). I prefer skinny white guys. Some people are only attracted to certain races, or certain characteristics. It's just the way sexuality works. Some people are very particular and some aren't. To me, race is a factor, but a minor one. It's not a problem, or anything you need to change, it's just what your preference is. You can't really change it any more than you can change the gender you're attracted to. It's just the way it is.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As others have mentioned, it's nothing to worry about. You are going to be attracted to guys that you find attractive and feel attracted to. As you get older and gain more life experiences your expectations and attractions to other guys will change. It all comes down to with whom it is going to click. I'd say just put your feelers out there and don't worry about the cultural background of the guys your are attracted to.

7. Ronnie92

Agreeing with Enigma here, everyone has thier preferences it's just a way of life. So no sweat :wink:

8. Jim1454

I think we're usually more comfortable with things that are familiar to us. If you're white, then you're likely to be attracted to other white guys. You'll assume that you have more in common perhaps...

We have also all been 'conditioned' to find the white male attractive. He's primarily what is portrayed in movies, television, in advertising, etc. He is who you usually see on the underwear packages or in the cologne ads in the magazine.

As already stated though, you might find that this changes if you were to become friends with someone of another race where a relationship started to develop. Don't close any doors that you don't have to.

9. AXavierB

It's not racist or anything. You just don't find them sexually attractive because they don't fit your tastes. That's like saying being gay is sexist against women.

I'm black and I'm mostly attracted to white, Latino and biracial (one black parent and one white parent) guys.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's wise to question our motives. If you notice that you're not attracted to anyone of a particular race, it might behoove you to see if there might be an underlying rationale behind it. But if you can't find one - if you have no trouble befriending people of that race, say - then I'd chalk it up to personal preference.

Lex

11. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

See. :slight_smile:

Coming from two people who identify as black.
    Although the bi-racial (black/white) is hard to come by.

Coincidentally, I fit the bill. (!)

12. Markio

I may find a lot of people attractive who are of the same race, but that doesn't mean that I find everyone of that race to be attractive, nor that I everyone of other races to be unattractive.

Personally, I've found many Whites and Latinos to be attractive, although I've had more exposure to those groups because of where I live. However, John Cho is pretty attractive to me, and he is neither of those races.

13. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Who the crap is that? :dry:

14. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You'd probably recognize him if you saw him. He was in all of the American Pie films, Harold in Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, a Korean disowned by his parents for his submissive S&M practices who is being treated by House for something i can't remember but wound up being a infected jaw bone (House M.D.), and most recently Sulu in StarTrek (guy with the sword in the yellow suit in the trailer if you haven't seen the film)

15. Just Adam

john cho is hot :grin: lol he was a great sulu :slight_smile:

16. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you should necessarily feel bad for not feeling attracted to people of other races. If there wasn't the whole racism issue looming in the background, it wouldn't be anything more remarkable than liking brown-haired people over blond-haired, or blue-eyed over brown-eyed ones.

There is a Dutch saying that goes "Unknown is unloved", which I think apples here. If you don't really know any people from other races (and just bumping into them occasionally doesn't equal knowing), you're unlikely to develop an appreciation for them.

I'm mostly attracted to white people, but that's what you get for living in a nearly mono-ethnic part of Europe. Black people are a rarity where I live. Hispanics don't exist here (living half a world away from Latin America tends to do that), and Asians are only a tiny fraction. What minorities we have are mostly from Northern Africa and Turkey. And I do occasionally find some of those attractive. But I assume that if I would get to know more of them better, I would find more of them attractive.

17. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a big fan of really dark skin, but that's more in a physical sense. If I fall in love with someone who's say, Sudanese it doesn't mean I won't go out with them because they're Sudanese.

Physical attraction to certain skin tones and races is fine in my opinion, but discrimination definitely isn't.

18. Fiorino

I think everyone has a "type". Like, for me I'm more attracted to European guys, more specifically Northern European. But my "type" is more about physical features, meaning though I have a thing for fair-skinned blonde haired guys, that doesn't mean I wouldn't find a Black guy attractive. That being said, my preference is mostly White or Asian.

You shouldn't feel bad for not being attracted to someone, everyone has different tastes.
    :icon_bigg

19. Mickey

I agree with the others. If you preferred someone with blue eyes over someone with brown eyes,would you consider that a bad thing? Of course not.
    The same thing applies to race. It's like,just because you're gay,it doesn't mean you're attracted to ALL guys.
    Don't worry,sweetie. You're NOT racist. You just have certain attractions,and that's all.

20. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You could also be attracted to other physical differences besides skin tone. I know there there are differences in the skeletal structure based on race. That probably also means that there are going to be different outward manifestations of those skeletal differences. What you might perceive as a biased attraction to a particular race could actually be based on subtle differences in appearance. You might not be attracted as much to one race because they characteristic is rare for that particular ancestry.

For instance, and I know how odd it is, I'm really attracted to guys with a certain head shape. I find guys whose back of their head goes out from the neck (as opposed to being pretty flush / jar shaped) more attractive. There's also a particular jaw shape I like too but far more difficult to describe. But the point being that those hard to describe more subtle characteristics lead me to tend to be attracted to northern European / Scandinavian decent guys than African, Asian, Latin, or middle eastern decent guys. That's not to say that I don't find any guy outside that region hot, but that it's far rarer occurrence.

Is it racism as society views it? No. I'm not making a conscious decision based purely on their ancestry. I'm not ruling out entire populations based on skin color. However, I'd might call it biological racism or (more politically correct) a biological predisposition. The things that attract us to others are complex and nuanced. Subconsciously, you observe hundreds if not thousands of details you don't realize. Each one being categorized and compared to billions of other experiences.

While I was trying to accept being gay, I frequently brought up the following argument whenever the topic of homosexuality came up. Do love another person because of who they are or what's between their legs? I always argued that you could fall in love to someone because of who they were. That if you only ever met them online through text chat, never heard their voice, never saw their face, never interacted in a way that would lead you to know their gender, you could fall in love with that person.

I found it to be a really good argument and convinced many of my friends that I was right. But I was desprately clinging to flawed logic in hopes that I could still fall in love with a girl, get married, etc. The problem with the argument is that love is in fact part physical. We try very hard to convince ourselves that looks aren't important, that you should be able to fall in love with anyone. But that's not true. Love is in part biological. Finding someone to love is built into our DNA. There are evolutionary reasons we are attracted to others. That doesn't mean that looks are the only thing that matters. Those same evolutionary reasons determine what we find attractive in someone's personality. In the end, it's how we're genetically programmed. And genetics aren't something easily if at all able to be changed, as you and most everyone else on this forum would attest to.