1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is Unhealthy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dare2bProud, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Dare2bProud

I can't sleep tonight because I'm thinking about some guy who I have developed this large crush on. I'm going through depression because I know that he will never go for a guy like me, that I am not in his category and I'm not good enough for him. I'm also aggravated that I have so much to do this summer theatrical production wise that I let some silly guy get me all bent out of shape. I don't know what to do! I'm so aggravated, he is all I can think of right now. I get a little jealous when some of our mutual friends talk about hanging out with him. *shrugs* When ever him and I talk its casual, nothing of a lot of substance, I just really want to invite him somewhere ... but I know he's going to say "no" or make up some other excuse. I really can't handle this right now.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he's straight, then yes, you're right. You're not in his category, and he will never go for a guy like you.

If he's not straight, that's utter bullshit. Last time I checked, there wasn't a caste system in place in Indianapolis. He is not out of your league. Every gay man is in your league. You have no idea what he's into, or what he looks for in a guy, or what he might be interested in. Even if his last boyfriend was hot, muscular, and a Rhodes scholar, he might simply not have clicked with him...and there's nothing to say that you won't be the one to click with him.

This isn't to say that he's going to go for you. But why take yourself out of the running before finding out?

Lex

3. Eleanor Rigby

Well, if he is straight you're right, he is not in your category and you'd better forget about him. But if he isn't straight, there is no reason for kicking yourself out of the race.
    I am going to tell you a little story :
    The first time I met my husband (10 years ago, dear me...) he was with is girlfriend who were absolutly gorgeous, and blond and thin, all these things that I were not (and I'm still not by the way).
    All the thing I could think of was : I want her boyfriend and her shoes (she had wonderful shoes).
    A few months later, my now husband and her broke up. And instead of thinking, I'm not blond and thin, I would never had a chance, I bought the shoes and I did what it takes to catch the guy. And even if I'm not blond and thin, guess who married him ? Me !
    So instead of beating yourself up, go and buy a pair of shoes (maybe without hight heals but it's up to you) :wink:
    Take care, Eleanor

4. Goethe

i'm kinda goin through the same thing although i'm not depressed. i'm kinda just sad because there is this guy at school who i have a crush on. we talk but not a whole lot. he doesn't know about me being well possibly gay and well he's unfortunately straight. although i sometimes feel he might be possibly gay, but maybe that's just me wishin he was. *sigh*

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some excellent advice here from everyone.

Here's one more thought. I have worked with quite a few exceptionally attractive guys in their late teens/early 20s. One of the things that many people may find surprising is often, these guys are lonely because... everyone assumes that the guys are out of their league; that they 'aren't good enough' and so they don't even try, and so often the most gorgeous guys don't even get approached!

Of course, others may be obnoxious and rude, but those guys are, deep down, very insecure and unhappy, or they wouldn't act that way. (And besides, who wants to go out with an insecure, unhappy, and rude boyfriend anyway!)

The other thing that many really attractive guys experience is that people view them as objects; they find that boys are attracted to them only for their looks, and so the people that *do* make themselves known are often very shallow. So many of them, below whatever persona they first put off, are actually enormously shy.

As several others have said... you have nothing to lose by trying. Maybe you'll get shot down, maybe you won't. But I seriously doubt he'll be offended if you at least make an attempt :slight_smile:

6. Dare2bProud

Yeah. He's not straight. He's gay. I don't know. There's a part of me that feels like I need to start being chased, I'm always the chaser, however, I don't want this one to get away.

7. Dare2bProud

I'm just upset that it seems like everyone else in the show is after him. How do I compete with that?

8. KeithJ108

You don't. All you can do is be yourself, he's either interested or he isn't. You can view that as a positive or a negative thing.

I once got 'involved' with the kind of guy that was good looking and he knew it and wasn't shy about telling people if they matched his standards (or not) when they approached him. If I'd approached him and asked him out I'm sure I'd have come away thinking he was a rude, self-obsessed :***: but I didn't. I assumed he was out of my league. We were friends nothing more until he wanted to be more than friends. I really wasn't expecting that! I learned two things from that experience:

1. Don't assume anyone is out of your league.
    2. The guys that are good looking, know it and make very quick judgements of people by how they look really are very insecure and unhappy.

Which is exactly what everyone else has said :slight_smile:

#8 KeithJ108, Jun 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  9. Eleanor Rigby

It's not a competition. Just be yourself and if he is interested he'll let you know.
    Another thought about "beign the chaser" : I remember I had a conversation with some of my male friends when we were late teens/young adults. They were basicaly saying that they had no idea about what to do to let a girl know they like her (they were straight friends) and so, they usualy didn't do anything and the girls usualy ended up with someone else. I understand it is very flattering having beign the one who is chased, but I think beign the chaser is better than beign the one who doesn't even try and ended up alone.
    Even if in the end, he is not interested, at least you woudn't have to leave with the idea of what could have happened if you would have tried.
    Take care, Eleanor

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you know he's gay, and you don't want him to get away, do something. You don't want time to pass and to find out later on that you could have had something with him and you were both too scared to do anything about it. What's the worst that can happen if you ask him out? Even if he says no, that'll just mean you'll know his thoughts on the matter, and knowing either way is better than not knowing at all - if it turns out he's not interested, you can work on moving on. Not knowing means that you're caught in limbo. You're thinking "why would he go for me?", but in the same vein, why would he go for any of the others? I know there's something special about you - there is about everyone. And who's to say he won't see it?

11. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    +1

:thumbsup: Good luck!

12. kramer362

You may stand out to him by being the only one who doesn't seem to be trying to get with him, you never know. Just be yourself, as cheesy as that sounds, and don't be too aggressive. But don't hesitate to ask him to do hang out if it seems like you two might click!

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Yeah. He's not straight. He's gay. I don't know. There's a part of me that feels like I need to start being chased, I'm always the chaser, however,

If you're thirsty, you can sit around waiting for someone to get you some water, or you can go get yourself some water. Guess which one is more likely to cure your thirst. :slight_smile:

Lex

14. Mickey

How about you just ask him out for coffee,lunch or whatever? That way,it's not an official date,yet you can get to know him better. Like has been said,you don't know until you try.
    Good luck!

15. Kaim

Kaim Guest

I sort of know this feeling. I had a huge crush on a really good looking guy when I was at school. He sat at a table near where I sat during lunch, and I always fawned over him but couldn't bring myself to say anything to him. Later it turned out we became classmates, but when we talked it's because I was asking him stuff about the rave scene. He was pretty friendly when we talked, but I knew he had a girlfriend, even though a friend of mine told me he's bi.

Long story short, he eventually dropped out of school and I feel that I didn't get a chance to get to know this guy. So in your situation, take a deep breath and give it a chance; suggest that the two of you get to know each other better and hang out, or get some food together. I don't know though, this is the advice I would give to my past self, so don't quote me on that this will work.

16. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

That's happened to me far too many times myself. Getting to barely know someone and having a Texas sized crush on them. Yet, somehow I move away or they do and we never speak again. It's heartwrenching and you never really forget it.

Take that chance honey.
    Give it your all :thumbsup:

17. Dare2bProud

So I invited him to see a play with me ... waiting on response.

18. Dare2bProud

He said he would love to go see the show and perhaps we can get a "group" together to go see it. That's a bad thing when someone says those sentences isn't it? Let's get a "group" together?

19. RaRa

Maybe. Is this your first time going out with him? If so, maybe going with a group is a good thing. Sit next to him and get to know him better. Move on to more personal topics. Get more friendly with him and then take him out on an actual "date."

My 2 cents. :slight_smile:

20. Dare2bProud

Yeah, this would be the first time. Shucks, I feel like i'm 13.