1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In a dark place

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Starshine16, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Starshine16

I don't know what had happened other than to blame this on a fight with my mother,but last night I was getting ready to go to bed and I just started full on sobbing.I don't know what caused it,but within seconds I was sobbing so hard I couldn't catch my breath.I was in such a dark place last night I actually looked for something to inflict pain on myself and I have NEVER self harmed.

Now today I feel perfectly normal.

Maybe it's the secrets I am keeping from everyone that is doing this to me.

2. Markio

Well, crying is healthy because it's a release. Maybe it could be an accumulation of things, including stress or tension. I don't know what to say except to find other ways to channel negative feelings, like through painting or a punching bag. (*hug*)

3. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Not to use the word emo, but I'm going to have to since someone already mentioned it. I don't care what pop culture or young people say these days but don't be 'emo' or inflict pain on yourself. It seems to be the new 'in' trend, and it's quite stupid.

You're stressed so you self mutilate? Well if you do, you might as well do it all the way. No use in half-assing it.

Stop doing it.
    There are more productive things to do and less painful.
    It's a waste of time.

Like Mark said, it's probably an accumulation of stress and anxiety. Perhaps you should seek professional help or just simply, talk to someone. Sometimes just telling them your problems will help relieve a lot tension because you have no one to talk to about these things usually.

4. Jim1454

You're under stress if you're having to keep things a secret. Once in a while, the bottled-up emotions break through and it's like a dam bursting.

I hope you can feel better soon.

Doing something else (like hurting yourself) isn't really a great way of dealing with emotions. Instead - feel them. Experience them - even if they are uncomfortable. Think about the situation, rather than avoiding it. You'll be better off in the long run.

5. echapper

I'm sorry that you had such a difficult moment.

Although, I can't say that I understand you fully, I can relate. I have my ups and downs, I have fights with my parents and I also have my secrets. And every once in a while I break down. And everyone has heard that feeling sad, sobbing or crying is perfectly normal. And I'm quite sure you know that. So I guess that you're concerned about thoughts of self harm.

I must admit that many years ago I did self harm. For me, even now, the thoughts of self harm sometimes seem to be tempting. I think that physical pain would, in a way, soothe the pain inside. But the truth is that it doesn't. Self harm just makes it worse. It's another secret to keep. And I would guess that you don't want another secret to deal with.

So if you really need to do something, try hitting pillows, screaming, maybe painting or writing letters. Blog might be a good idea. Talking with people might help. Write about your feelings on EC. Or just help others, believe it or not, it might make you feel better. Try not to be alone. But be with people who you trust, with whom you can talk to, who offer a shoulder to cry on. Having someone there has healing powers.

And if you feel like being in a very dark place, it's definitely worth talking to your doctor or counselor.

I know that many say, that coming out will make you feel better. Then again, I myself know that things aren't always that easy.

Hold on and be strong and I hope that things will get better soon! :slight_smile:

echapper.

PS
    And to people talking about emos: well, I know that for many self harm is style, for some it is call for attention. But for others it actually might just be a real, serious issue (not that emos don't have issues, but anyway :wink: ) and talking about emos in such situation is, well, not the right thing to do.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's very likely that something in the fight with your mom or something else that happened just triggered something very deep in your unconscious, and the floodgates opened.

You mentioned secrets, so I'm inferring there's more than just your sexuality that you're keeping from the people around you. It can be very stressful to maintan a facade when it is dealing with your personality and a basic part of yourself.

However, if this was a one-time thing, out of the blue, i'd say it isn't much to worry about. People have those sort of releases happen from time to time when something triggers them, and it just lets loose a complete flood of emotion. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you can resist the urge for self-harm, and it sounds like your conscious mind was strong enough to do that.

As others have said, if you find it's happening a lot, or you're moving into the direction of feeling more down, then it's time to talk to someone about it. But if you're feeling OK the next day, I wouldn't stress about it.

7. Starshine16

Thanks for all the responses guys.I am now feeling so much better but that night still scares me.I had never been that down before and I don't ever want to be that down again.I was so scared the other night that I would hurt myself.

I am perfectly fine now.Secrets DO suck though.

8. Zac4

true.
    WHAT HE SAID

9. Happy Go Lucky

Hey,

It sounds blasé, but been there, done that. The difference is, I've been back there so many times. I'm really glad that you're feeling better, and I think I know at least to some extent what you feel like.
    I'm also working on figuring out my sexuality (bi, I think), keep a shitload of secrets from the world, whether my classmates, friends or family, and I've been a self-injurer. Actually...seeing as how my last episode dates from not so long ago (five days), I still am a self-injurer.
    It's a very scary feeling to feel that you can't trust yourself with your own life or safety. I would seriously advise yourself not to start traveling down the path of hurting yourself, because it's one that is very very very difficult to get off of, and I speak from experience there. I have a love/hate relationship with all sorts of sharp objects.
    If it happens again, try to keep yourself safe - stay away from sharp objects, especially razors, knives, scissors and safety pins, go sit near someone else, or where you can be seen/heard, so that it's much harder to hurt yourself, or simply curl up in a ball and try to ignore it. Crying is a good release...let yourself cry, because it helps with the healing process. If you ever need to spaz/rant/vent at someone, feel free to message me or whatever, I'm always willing to listen and help out.

Oh, and I fully agree with echapper, and Zac4. The whole linking-to-emo thing is totally unnecessary and inappropriate, all those who did that. Way to make someone feel better while banalising the major issue that self injury is. Really, I applaud you.

10. Elven

Hang in there (*hug*) and try to express your feelings enough to not get into situations like that, you may not want to let your feelings out but re-pressing them won't help at all, sobbing like that may be your only outlet but try not to harm yourself, everyone needs a good sob once in a while :slight_smile:

11. mattblack

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Starshine,
    I hope you're still alright. I think the last line says it all and that keeping secrets is starting to become too stressful. I'm not saying you need to go and spill everything to your family and friends because you may not be ready (but chances are that when you do come clean, you'll feel a huge weight lifted). This is a good place to start to talk to people and I encourage you to do so. If you're not ready just read other people's stories....it can be comforting to hear about other people's problems...you can be grateful you don't share some you hear about and you can also take comfort in the idea that some problems are common to you and other people here.

Your body/mind has sent you a message that it has limits and that you're approaching them. Now you need to start taking steps (even little ones) to correct whatever it is that's making you feel like this and I think you probably know what the root cause is for you.

I gave you homework there :slight_smile: I'm sorry :slight_smile: