1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peer pressure to drink...left in the dust

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mike J, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Mike J

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is really troubling me...Im 18 years old and just graduated high school. And i feel like im the only 18 year old I know that isnt getting drunk multiple times a week (or every night even). Infact I have never been drunk. I've drank a couple times at home but only one drink. The truth is I see how it makes people act. Some belligerent, some get MIPs or DUIs, some participate in regretable threesomes, some get alochol poisoning, many drive drunk. But apparently it is all worth it and totally fun? I just dont understand.

Obviously I don't like to hang out with my friends when they drink for these reasons, but that leaves me home alone on many nights. I dont put myself on a high horse like I'm better than them, and maybe I shouldnt knock it till i try it.. but its so unappealing.

I'm tired of getting left out, but my goody goody personality prevents me from participating... I think i am just scared of getting caught, and not being able to drive/leave where I am because im intoxicated...My parents even said people can drink at my house if they sleep over (don't drive). I try to tell them I dont drink but i dont think they believe me.

Im a square.. should I give in? :frowning2: i dont wanna spend my whole summer alone and excluded from the fun. I get invited to these events but if I keep turning them down I will be left behind.

2. Paralyzer

Enjoy life...
    :/
    I say expiriment but stay safe. Your first intoxication expiriment could be something fun and controlled your friends do with you. And yeah, sex occurs but it's not as common as you may think. It generally happens to those that get hammered everynight or weekend and I don't think you'll be doin that...

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm nearly 19, live on a booze-soaked university campus, don't drink and don't plan to start. If you don't want to drink, you don't have to, and I think your reasons for not wanting to are totally valid. If I have to explain to someone why I don't drink, I usually go with something like "I like being the one who has all the blackmail material on you guys the next day" or simply "I just don't like it and I don't want to talk about it".
    What would happen if you went along to these events and didn't drink?

4. Mike J

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't like being around drunk people if I'm sober because they have so much fun due to alcohol and I have none. And get to watch them do stupid things. I'd have no one to talk to and it would be boring at best...

5. GhostDog

Do what makes you feel comfortable.

I'm in a similar spot. I feel like I'm drifting away from my best friend, because she's into marijuana and hallucinogens. I don't really object to what she's doing (she's staying the hell away from the harder, physically addictive stuff that'll kill you) but being around her makes me uncomfortable. It's not something I want to do, but I miss my friend.

Binge drinking is a bad idea. Getting drunk multiple times a week is a bad idea. Alcohol is a toxin, and overdoing it will do bad things to your health over time. I've known people who died from alcohol poisoning. =/ If you do decide to drink, stop if you feel sick, and drink PLENTY of water (since it'll help your liver process the alcohol).

And really, if you get drunk, odds are you won't be doing things you didn't want to do anyway. It's not like alcohol magically turns everyone into sex fiends. I've been drunk quite a few times, and I wasn't filled with the overwhelming urge to go drive everywhere and bang everything that moves. It's quite possible to be drunk and not a complete idiot. And you're not likely to get belligerent unless you're harboring those kinds of feelings anyway. I'm a really laid back, chipper person generally, and all alcohol does is make me really giggly and prone to dancing and saying "I LOVE YOU GUYS!"

That said, if you don't want to, you don't want to. If it's not something you think you will enjoy, don't do it. Drinking because you feel left out isn't a great reason to pick it up. =/ And it's kind of a risk at your age, anyway. Drinking when you're not at home when you're under 21 is not a good idea.

If drunk friends don't bother you, you could always go along and be the designated driver. Then if anyone tries to get you to drink, you can say "I can't, I'm driving." As someone who enjoys alcohol, I really love reliable DDs (oh and designated drivers, too =P). And if you feel like they're having fun and you're not, then get up and have fun! You don't have to have alcohol to do it, and if you're worried about being embarrassed, just remember that your memories of the night are probably gonna be better than theirs. =p

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're doing the right thing dude. I'm 21 and have still yet to drink, do drugs, or anything like that. Sex is like the ONLY thing I've done and frankly, I'm proud of myself. So be proud of yourself and stay confident :slight_smile:

7. Greggers

Honestly, next time your with your friends just have a beer or two, or whatever it is they are drinking. Its just a few casual drinks with friends. You might find it helps you open up and be more personable if you are generally more shy. You said it yourself really, all your friends are drinking and having fun and your sober and having none. You DO NOT have to drink to the point were you are hammered. That is a bad idea to do on purpose. Just take a few drinks. And hey, if you do it once and you dont like it, then fine. But dont knock it until you try it. Nothing is worse than people who get the fowl look on there faces and back away at the mention of drinking when they have never tried it and dont understand you dont have to get drunk. Unless of course your friends are going to force you to get drunk, then stay out of the picture, but from the sounds of it thats not the case.

8. touchofgrey

I'm 19 and at the time of my high school graduation last year I had never had more than a tiny sip of any alcohol. I was really conflicted against it...

I just finished up my freshman year at a pretty decent party school but I found really, really, REALLY good friends who were in a similar position as me and we don't really drink. We're looking forward to living together in the years to come and once we're 21 having cocktails together but none of us is really keen on getting drunk and partying all the time. Plus, I think beer is the most disgusting taste in the world.

Anyway, know that you're not alone and there's a big, big world out there to meet people with similar views as you.

9. littledinosaurs

Don't do anything you don't wanna do.
    if your friends try to make you then they suck.
    I don't know if you're tried hanging out with your friends while they're drunk, if you haven't try it once to see if it's better than staying home i guess.
    Otherwise make new friends? or plan non-drinking events?

10. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not planning to drink when I'm 18+, but I think I would just do it minimally when I'm partying. People in those type situations like you mention are also like to do it when they are sober. I see it okay in a person who is responsible and plans ahead.

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is definitely true, in my experience, that being sober when everyone else is drunk can be a pretty alienating experience.

I was like you... I didn't get drunk on any kind of semi-regular basis until I was about 2 years past the legal drinking age here (21). At the time I for sure was riding on a high horse about it--a lifetime of being excluded by the popular people put me on an auto-pilot rejection of things closely associated with popularity (sports, parties, drinking) and so there was that, and then there was a desire to be "good." Plus (and it sounds like you are facing this situation) it seemed to me at the time that drinking was about over-drinking, or drinking to get so drunk that you are totally or nearly sick from it.

I'm not sure exactly what changed my mind but it was probably that my rebellious teenage side didn't really manifest until my early 20s, plus I was intensely curious as to what "being drunk" was like. Anyway, to this day I don't really understand how a lot of people treat drinking; I'm definitely not someone who comes home and says, "It's been a tough day--man I feel like a drink!" Nor am I like my parents, who generally had some type of alcohol every night or every other (not in a "get drunk" kind of sense but as an acceptable dinner beverage).

To me, the only reason to drink alcohol is to get drunk. So I only drink when I want to get drunk, and generally my desire to get drunk is not a desire to get shitfaced out of my mind (I say generally because I have both accidentally and purposefully gotten super-drunk, but it's a pretty unusual state for me).

If your friends are the kind of people who are going to encourage you to get more and more drunk, it might be a good idea to steer clear of those situations, especially if you've never had alcohol before. If they're going to let you go at your own pace, it might be worth trying out. Regarding the drinking and driving: when people are drunk, they don't do things they don't really want to do. They only seem to do things they don't want to otherwise do because alcohol lowers your inhibitions. What I mean is I think anyone with a strong will who is resistant to peer pressure will be able to avoid drinking and driving. I'm sure thousands if not millions of people each day drink and don't drive--hopefully the vast majority of people drinking are not driving. So if you're concerned, just don't go somewhere where you're going to be drinking unless you are willing to stay there until you sober up (coffee does not sober you up... only time does). And just make a pact with yourself not to accept rides from anyone who has been drinking. If you're surrounded by people who have been drinking a lot for years and you've yet to try it, it doesn't sound like taking the less-beaten path is going to be a problem for you.

I don't think alcohol is for everybody but I do think it achieves this kind of bizarrely over-powerful aura when you're in high school in Canada or the US because of the puritanical streak in our societies. From everything I've heard and read, teenagers in Europe tend to have a more healthy relationship with alcohol (except maybe in the UK and Ireland) probably specifically because it's not so taboo-ified over there.

Anyway, it is highly doubtful (unless you're an alcoholic) that drinking will change who you are. I know it didn't change me, except perhaps to make me a little less insufferable in terms of being a goody-goody. That being said, I don't think that everyone who chooses not to drink is an insufferable goody-goody. I just mean that that was definitely part of what it was about for me. It was also, I think, a lot about worrying about losing control and the subconscious awareness that, being in huge denial about my sexuality during high school, this might not be that good an idea. And I do think you lose some control when you get drunk but I don't think drinking is some kind of magic truth serum where you just spout out every dark secret you have and become a wild person. You just tend not to care quite so much at the time about things that you ordinarily take quite seriously. Hence people's funny/sad experiences with drunk texting and drunk calling.

Anyway, whatever you decide, it might be worth cultivating some non-drinking friends, if only for variety.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While there's some great advice in this thread, I'm really surprised that so many people are encouraging you in this thread to drink when you've already said that you see no point in it and have no particular interest in doing so.

This might be an unpopular statement, but most people who engage in behaviors (doing drugs, getting drunk, smoking, etc) that are unhealthy or otherwise looked down upon generally feel a psychological need to encourage others, particularly those who have never done those things, into doing so. I think it's probably some sort of justification for their own behavior; the idea that if they can get so-and-so to do it, then so-and-so isn't "better" than them. Of course, it is never consciously acknowledged as that, always as "Oh, you'll have a great time" or whatever. I've seen it in action on a number of occasions.

Regardless of what anyone tells you, there are *plenty* of people your age who don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or whatever. While a majority (particularly among gay youth) may tend to engage in these behaviors, you shouldn't feel any need to do it simply because anybody else is and you feel left out. If you carry that to its logical conclusion, if your friends all start shooting heroin or smoking crystal meth, or robbing banks or beating up homeless people, you probably wouldn't want to join in that, so why should you feel any different about alcohol?

Bottom line is... follow your heart. One of my good friends is 25 and has never had more than a few sips of any alcohol. I've been drunk exactly twice and tipsy a couple more times than that, didn't feel any particular benefit from it. I have plenty of other friends who drink occasionally, and a few who are way beyond reasonable and need help but won't get it. Everyone has to make their own decisions... just let it be your own, and not one you're encouraged into or fast-talked into by anyone else.

If your friends encourage you and you'd rather not, just say something like "I'd rather not, and I really don't want to discuss it. I respect your decision to drink, and I'd appreciate it if you'd equally respect my decision not to."

And... if you decide you don't want to drink, find yourself some non-drinking friends as well. I know plenty of high school and college aged gay people that have a great time together and never see any need for mind-altering substances of any kind.

13. Meropspusillus

As other people have said: you don't have to drink if you don't want to. No means no, make sure your friends understand that. Still, don't be too afraid to try drinking; I didn't plan on drinking when I came into college, however, I started drinking a little bit in, and I've met some of the best friends I've ever had.

You don't have to end up drinking, but A. Don't judge others for drinking in moderation. (If someone is spending every Friday and Saturday night puking into a toilet, maybe you can judge them a bit.) Don't be afraid to have a few drinks, just also be sure to be intelligent about it.

14. RaRa

I'd say just try it once and see how it goes, you don't need to get absolutely hammered. I just started drinking socially a few months ago and it really makes it a lot more fun. All the shyness goes away and I actually talked to people who I wouldn't sober.

And no, just cause you drink doesn't mean you have to do stupid things. I can actually control what I say/do when i'm drunk, and for some reason it makes me more aware then when i'm sober. O-o

15. tazzie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    just dont get into a habbit of drinking all the time cause once u do its really hard to drop the habbit trust me.

16. Mickey

Never let anyone pressure you into doing something you don't want to do!

17. Doreibo

Drinking is your own choice. Don't cave into peer pressure unless you really want what it will result in. Alcohol is a social drug, but it is also a poison to your body. Keeping in mind that while some effects of alcohol are enjoyable. Others are most definitely not. Drinking is a large part of the Aussie, stereotypical culture, however many don't partake in it. I myself have, but all under adult supervision and never to the point that I don't know what I'm doing. A good tip is, if you DO start drinking. Always get a taxi, know your limit and STOP DRINKING if you begin to trip over things. Just know what you want and take care if you do. Here is to hoping you don't drink or drink responsibly.

18. Eleanor Rigby

I completly understand because I lived exactly the same thing when I was a student.
    I didn't drink alcohol, I didn't like it and I clearly didn't want to lose my self-control.
    However, I used to compromise with my friends : they were not pressuring me on drinking and I was going with them and was the one who drive everybody safe at home.
    Now it happens to me to drink sometimes, but only during meals, and never ever if I had to drive after and never ever to the point I'm not knowing what I do. The worst that could happened is that I call my friends to tell them I love them, because alcohol makes me very affectionate, but my husband keeps it under control :wink:
    Try to compromise with your friends, and don't worry : you could have fun without drinking.

19. Just Adam

i as introduced to alcahol at a young age and have never been a stranger to it its never held any mystery and thrill to me so i dont binge unless im mondo depressed... so when mates get together we just get all drunky and wobbly and laughy and its good... i will say though be with your friends in an environment you know and are safe and comfortable in ... ive been in bad environments when out of my head its not nice :S

take care and never let anyoine push you into anything only if you feel comfortable :slight_smile:

20. Jace

If you want to, then do it

I don't really ever drink much but my friend who I will not name got really drunk before spanish once
    It was scary her eyes were rolling all over the place and she couldn't stand up straight or stop giggling

I don't ever want to be that drunk