1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Voice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jack2009, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do you think the lisping voice is moderately common or just a crazy steriotype? I can't even attempt that voice, but I heard some gays have it.

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Yes, it's not just a stereotype. It's very common, at least around the gay community here. But not all gay guys have lisps. I don't and I know Legnaj doesn't.

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I have one, and I only know of two gay men who do. That being said I live in an area with maybe 10 gay people total, so I really don't know if it is just a stereotypical idealization or not.

4. Kaim

Kaim Guest

I don't lisp either. I do wear a retainer though, and for the first couple of weeks I had a bit of a lisp with 'S' sounds.

5. Greggers

Its definitely real. I dont know why gay men are more likely to have a lisp, that just blows me away, but it seems to be true. Not everyone does of course, and im sure one or two people put one on for show.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I've gotten older, and hung out with more gay guys, I've developed a stronger "gay accent". I think that's just a product of being social. When you hang out with people, you tend to subconsciously (or even consciously) pick up on their slang, and start sounding more like them. I've had friends come home from spending months in other countries, and suddenly, they've got accents. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've rarely heard gay guys lisp. Like very rarely. And I've known a lot of gay guys since coming out. Maybe people in Vancouver are super-concerned about enunciation? :slight_smile:

I agree there is definitely a stereotypical kinda femmy and arch way of talking (like "hey girlFRIEND" and stuff like that) that some gay guys adopt but that's different from an actual lisp.

Lisps make me shudder, in a very bad way. I mean it's one thing if you can't help it but to actually consciously let yourself talk that way? Ick.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I mean it's one thing if you can't help it but to actually consciously let yourself talk that way? Ick.

Hey, I don't mind femmy guys or a lisping guys. Maybe they do it that way naturally, or maybe it's an affectation, but so what?

Lex

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind femmy guys at all--generally like them a heck of a lot better than butch ones--but a lisp, as an affectation, I find totally unpleasant. As I do when people are just over-the-top with the whole "girlfriend!" way of talking.

As they say, everything in moderation.

10. djt820

Dont have a lisp. I dont mind the femmys but some of them can get on my nerves.

11. Alexander

I don't have a lisp, but I certainly do have a "gay voice". They're two separate entities. :]

I've never come across any gay guys who lisped. But maybe that's because I am surrounded by theater majors.

12. I've noticed that when I am around girls or other gay guys that I tend to talk more feminine than if I were talking to a straight guy. Just kind of happens haha

13. gaius

gaius Guest

i don't think i could affect a feminine voice if i tried, too gruff a voice, drink to much whisky probably.....

14. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

I knew a straight guy that had a lisp, does that count?
    Never met a gay guy with a lisp, met plenty with femmy voices tho (Also Ick:rolleyes:slight_smile:

15. paco

paco Guest

i dont usually hear the lisp as much as the trailing voice. i dont have it, but i can do an amazing impression of both that shocks my friends :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Rob13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with LEX, it is very much a cultural thing. Thecoolusername is also correct... Mere exposure to this changes the way you speak. but that is kinda the same as how you talk and use different expressions with certain friends.

So yes... it is there... it started somehow... and maybe it has some biological aspect to it as well... who knows... But it is clearly something very fluid if it is biological.

So it is one of those, maybe answers. haha

Rob

17. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

I don't have it. For me I do know alot of guys that have the lisp... But for me its more a product of where I grew up. Living up north in Brisbane (the country bumpkin city of australia) and then going to a private school then living in england for a year and learning german for 7 years and dutch for 2. So essentially my accent has developed a neutral sound (most people I lived with in Norfolk really had to concentrate to tell where I was from.

So no i don't have one but it is really really common

18. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Holy smokes, Wikipedia has an article on it.

Personally, I don't think it's an issue. I mean, who cares how someone speaks? Just because the twangy accents of the south don't really appeal to me doesn't make me think any less of the people who have them. Same applies to lisping.

19. Markio

The other day I was watching ANTM (very straight, right?), and some gay guy with an effeminate voice was on the show. My mom said to me, "I can't stand gay voices." What am I supposed to say to that? "Actually Mom, I think you already do stand one!" Then giggle mischievously?

I have a higher voice, but it's not effeminate unless I speak that way on purpose. I can sound extra-masculine/straight if I have to, but normally my voice is just... my voice.

20. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I don't have a lisp, and I can't not matter how hard I try :S .