1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"But you used to think (*random guy*) was hot!"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Katherine, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I dunno why this bothers me, but it does.

Have you ever come out to someone and have them say, "Oh, but what about that crush you had on *random celebrity of the opposite gender*? You used to say he was hot!"

And it's true. I did used to say some celebrity guys were hot. But now that I've discovered I like girls, I don't know WHY I did that. I mean, I actually think a lot of it was just me trying to keep up the illusion that I was a perfectly "normal" teenage girl who liked to drool over guys on TV. In essence, for some I was faking it. Now don't get me wrong, that wasn't all of them; but now that I've realized I'm a lesbian, now that I know it's okay for me to like girls, all those guys I actually thought were attractive now seem ugly to me in comparison to girls. And I find myself thinking, "Why'd I even say he was hot in the first place?"

But see, this explanation wouldn't make sense to unassuming straight people. And I know it's kind of a stupid little thing to obsess over, but for some reason I feel like every time I announced one of these mini heterosexual crushes before I came out, I was in a way lying to everyone, or I was serious then and I'm lying now. It's like I'm afraid someone will call me out on it and say, "You can't be a lesbian! You used to say so-and-so was hot!" or visa versa.

Does this make any sense? (Probably not....)

2. Apocalypte

Makes perfect sense, and I can honestly say I feel the same way.

3. AgentS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I am gay and I still have a crush on Gillian Anderson who plays Agent Scully on "The X-Files" :grin: I am really not attracted to her sexually, but something about her is just great! However, in no way would I take one or two slight interests in a person of the opposite gender into meaning to outweigh the truth of my homosexuality, and yes it would be very annoying if someone else tried to do that to me. I am gay, but ya know what? Agent Scully is AMAZING!!!

4. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    the defence to that comment is that a) you were lying in the first place, b) you did, then you started liking girls so much more, or c) "you're right, I did say he was hot... but it's been how many weeks since I said that? I must've been sick or something >.>"

IDK, any of those sound fair to you?

5. acorn7

When I came out to my friends, I had to explain why I had had three major crushes on girls on girls. I guess I was just trying to fit in and be the good heterosexual society wanted me to be. It's totally normal :wink:

6. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Being gay doesn't mean you can't find someone of the opposite sex hot. I can tell when a girl is hot. It doesn't mean I'm attracted to her, just that i recognize her beauty, just like I can recognize beauty in nature, artwork, cars, etc. Now if you meant it in a crush sense instead of an aestetic sense, you can explain it that you were attracted to his personality. For instance, I find Anne Hathaway's very attractive from a mental standpoint. Now if only she didn't have two lumps on her chest and a cavern between her legs :eusa_doh:. :icon_wink

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom tried something like that on me. To which I said, "Yeah, and I used to like strained peas for dinner."

Lex

8. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

It shouldn't really matter about what you used to like etc.

Being gay doesn't stop you having the ability to know if someone of the opposite sex is hot.
    Blind freddy can see whats 'hot' and whats 'not', of either gender, and any sexual preference :slight_smile:

9. touchofgrey

I totally get where you're coming from.

Now that I'm realizing that I REALLY like girls, I think back to all those times with (girl)friends when I say, "Yeah, he's hot," or something like that and at the time I said it but didn't really feel it. At the time I thought I felt it, but it's nothing like now when I see a woman and think she's attractive.

I think, though, that you can see a guy and recognize that he is good-looking and attractive.... you may not be attracted to him, but I think you can recognize other people's physicality.

10. matty123

hey
    yeh i get where u r coming from, i was somebody that used to blag a lot about thinking so and so of the opposite gender was really hot, mainly cos mates used to talk a lot about girls, and it was really easy to lie, plus it wasn't like i didn't think girls were hot, i can still say i think a girl is hot and mean it, but i just don't feel anything sexually for them. i don't look back and regret lying, back then i really wanted to find a girl sexually attractive, but i've accepted who i am and try to avoid guy talk

11. Just Adam

i think someones hot ill say so i dont care about there gender but i know what you mean peopel i know are like it all the time... am i not aloud to change my opinion on how I feel? :S

12. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I'd totally say that if I didn't love peas. :lol:

13. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "I can appreciate the beauty of a man without wanting in his pants. I'm sure you can't say the same for yourself."
    The End