1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm thinking of starting a Gay-Straight Allience at my School

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ANightDude, Jun 12, 2009.

1. ANightDude

I was discussing it with some friends, and we all agreed it's a great idea. Now this school is a special school, so we have 500 kids, half are gay/bi, the other half are conservative christians, and there are some regular people in the middle. Anyways, we wanted to start the club to help kids with Coming Out and issues like that.

Also, we want to start a "Domino Effect" in our city with these clubs. After starting ours (the first in our district), we want to get in touch with our friends at other schools to start one, and hopefully our entire district can have these GSA's at the High Schools. Now I know that's a big dream, and we can only do so much for it to happen.

Now, our school's always been pro-gay and such, but we still worry if we can get the club done. Of course, if they don't let us because of the "gay" thing, that's discrimination, which isn't allowed, right? I hope so.

So what do you think? Should we go ahead with it?

2. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Half are gay/bi!? Wow.

I totally support the idea of making such group. It'll surely help make homosexuality less of a taboo.

3. acorn7

I think it's a great idea :slight_smile: But pardon the question... how in the world is half your school bi or gay? Is it some kind of gay immersion program? :O

4. ANightDude

:lol: I always get this question. It's a magnet school program, so there's only about 500 kids. I guess the theme of it seems to attract them. (Communications, Technology, Filmmaking, Arts, Creative Writing, etc.)

5. sdc91

I went to a Texas magnet boarding school (public, legislature funded), and I'd say 1/8 of the boys in the school were gay (although not all out...). I think all the 'mos in TX flee to special magnets or something lol

3/2!!!! lol, sorry

6. moirai

I say go for it!
    Thats such a great idea and I hope it works out for you :slight_smile:

7. pokeypanda

Yea I say do it! I loved our GSA at my school and was happy we had it.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is an awesome idea. Yes, definitely.

Try talking to a teacher and/or the principal about your idea. You have mentioned that your school is pretty open and pro-gay, thus I don't think you should have any problems with getting support in creating the club. I think what would help you if you get together with a couple of students and come up with a plan as to what the club will do, what it stands for, and what you would like the club to achieve. Try to talk to a couple of teachers and try getting their input as well. Good luck!

9. ANightDude

Well in order to get a club, you have to

1) Write a paper on how in connects to academics and such (that will be difficult_
    2) Teacher Sponser
    3) Principal Approval

Number 3 is what scares me. She's a new principal we're having next year, this year was our other principal, who is gay, last year. So I'm not sure how the new one will like the idea. But how can it connect to academics...

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see...okay for your first point, it's actually not that hard.

I assume academics is probably very loosely defined, to include education and outreach. In your paper you could mention and include the following points:

1) Educate school population about LGBTQ issues, including coming out, difficulties facing
    LGBTQ teens, what it means to be LGBTQ.

2) Inviting outside speakers on LGBTQ issues

3) Having an 'awareness campaign' within your school on LGBTQ issues

4) Trying to organize events with other local GSAs to educate

5) Think about a class that your school offers that could be particularly relevant to that.
    Try to talk to that teacher and see if he/she could also give you a couple of
    suggestions in terms of specific connections to a few topics taught in the class. This
    will give you a direct link.

I hope this helps!

11. ANightDude

It actually does! We have a speech class for freshman year, that's an easy one to connect to! And it does educate the student body and whatnot. This is actually really helpful advice! Thanks! :smilewave

12. Kaim

Kaim Guest

Good luck starting your GSA! My school never had one, so I really applaud your bravery to get one started and spread the word about LGBTQ life. :slight_smile: