1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Club

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Elven, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Elven

Me and another friend who is also on this website are seriously considering setting up a LGBT Club at our school. She is out at school but I am not not that this really affects it but we really are in a pickle on how to present this to our teachers and headteacher, if you could give us any advice we would be very grateful :thumbsup:

2. olides84

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! To add to Olides' link, check our what your school's requirements are for creating clubs. Many schools require a link between academics and the club that is being created. In creating your presentation to teachers and headteacher, try to talk with a teacher before hand so to get a few pointers as to what you should/could include in the presentation. Placing your presentation in the context of your school's expectations will increase its chances of being accepted.

The website that Olides mentioned gives you quite a few things that you could highlight in your presentation - education, safe space, socializing, providing resources etc... When it comes to the education part, think about a class that is being offered at your school that might be particularly relevant. This will give you the link between academics/education and your club.

Hope this helps a bit!

4. Just Adam

talk to you head teacher abotu how there isnt a proper atmosphere to be able to support and for lgbt people or the curious to hang out and talk in safety to each other without smallminded kids saying nasty things that will make it hard for some to accept themselves and have a large negative psychological effect.

i would say to prepare a report stating where it will be held and when and resources that will be need and how much budget the school may need to supply if its to become a proper club. put who will be in charge and what the work load will entail what each person in charges responsibilities will be and how they can fit that around your studys effectivly and show the benifit.

really push home how lgbtq people suffer in silence and confusion not beeing able to talk about how they feel :slight_smile:

all schools should have one and point out those that do and the success theyve had :slight_smile:

all you need is a quiet place thats secure has some seats preferably soft, some tissues, and a drinks machine and thats it.

also put in a presentation of material you will aquire so the school can check its appropriate and anything thats risky make sure you explain how necissary it is :slight_smile:

i dont know if your planning on having information available to talk about it. like stds and precautions and technical stuff but any material about familys support or any such.

good luck man :grin:

5. GoBabyGoGo

wow i think thats a really great idea, and i encourage you very much to make it happen!! Wish i could at my school / area because it desperately needs a group, but i dont have any friends to help me :frowning2: Good luck with it, sorry i cant be of help

6. Elven

Thanks so much for your advice, we will try to get it done but the first teacher we told wasnt the most supportive and said that we may be targeted for abuse which is understandable but still...