1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of voluntarily committing myself

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Swamp56, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Ya.

I've been thinking a lot and I've realized that my life is in complete shambles. I may seem happy-go-lucky while talking with people, but that's because I've been improving on trying to control my almost uncontrollable mentality.

It's come to a point where not only am I showing psychotic symptoms such as hearing/seeing things, delusions, paranoia, but also affective issues like having mania and major depressive phases.

To give you an idea, when I forget my meds, I think people are going to grab me or kill me. I thought that my psychiatrist might have been giving me sugar pills and that people are staring at me, mocking me. That everyone is below me; that I control everything.

Because of all of these issues, I have decided to voluntarily commit myself. I have a psychiatrist appointment on Thursday, and I'll tell her then. My therapy appointment is tomorrow, and that'll go along as planned.

My psychiatrist doesn't know what's going on. I asked her what she thinks that, right now, what I might have. She said bipolar with psychotic features or what's known as schizoaffective disorder, which is essentially a mixture of schizophrenia and bipolar.

I want to make sure I'm better by the time college comes around the corner.

2. Glunn11

This is a big step in a positive direction for you. You should be proud of yourself for taking this step to becoming a healthier individual. Keep this faith that you have in yourself.
    I am totally rooting for you. (*hug*)

3. Eleanor Rigby

If you think it can help you with your issues, it's definitly the right thing to do.
    I wish you all the best, Eleanor

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only you can make this decision and I wish you only the best in your decision making along with the recovery process.

5. mattblack

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey man,
    I was committed a few years back; things were becoming too much and I started to self harm. I had 4 or 5 weeks time out from everyday life and it was really helpful. It's a shame that any kind of mental health treatment still carries stigma because it isn't really that different to getting help and having time off because your arm is broken.

You seem to have a pretty good handle on things at the mo...maybe not at a functional/in control level, but you seem to recognise that things aren't right and that you need to put yourself in the care of others for a while until your symptoms have had a chance to level out.
    I can't see anything wrong with your decision; I think it's a really good sign that you're able to seek help when you see you need it, and I wish you nothing but the best.

#5 mattblack, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  6. Mickey

Awwwww...good luck,sweetie. We're all pulling for you and we're here for you,too.
    I think you made a brave and wise decision to get the help you need.
    I,too, am wishing you the best. You're definitely doing the right thing and what's best for you. We'll be here for you when you get back. You have all our love & support!

7. Étoile

Bonne chance mon copain! You're very brave for actively seeking out extra help. I truly hope you get better. (*hug*)

8. Ben

Ben

Go for it, Chris. It'll help if you can get things sorted out over the summer. :slight_smile:

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're at that point where it'd be beneficial. So I'd say go for it. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Happy Go Lucky

From what you've said, it sounds like that is the right decision to make.

I have a friend who committed herself, and when she came out, she told me it was the best thing she had ever done. I quote: "that was the most respectful thing I have ever done - for myself and for others. It showed me that I do love myself, and that I know myself well enough to know when I've been too far."

I hope you come out feeling better. All the best, and sending as much cyber-support as possible.

*hugs*

11. echapper

Exactly. I have also been committed, well, not really but sort of. And really, I am glad you are not afraid and making the right decision. I hope you get better :slight_smile:

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>It's a shame that any kind of mental health treatment still carries stigma because it isn't really that different to getting help and having time off because your arm is broken.

And that's something that needs to change, I think. When I slipped into clinical depression last year, I was determined not to go that route. So I told everybody. I had a mini-meeting with my boss, and his boss, to let him know what was going on. I let all my friends know, and even blogged a few times about it on myspace. And you know what? Everybody was totally cool and supportive. I think if you treat mental disorders the same way you treat physical ones, people tend to take a cue from you, and not get freaked out about it.

Lex

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As it was said above, if you feel that this is the best thing for you to do, than do that. (*hug*)

14. moonlight

I think this is a huge step for you. It takes a lot of courage for a person to admit that they need help especially when it comes to mental health issues. You are being very positive about this and I think that it will help you because you want it to.
    Good luck with it, and I hope it helps you in the ways you want it to.

15. olides84

Chris I think this is a good decision. Help yourself as much as you can right now so that when college comes around you are getting to a hopefully much better place. I wish all the best for you (*hug*)

16. EM68

Good Luck. I am happy to hear that you are taking an active role in your heath. You a mature beyond your years!

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chris, I know this is tough and I've read your struggles as you've posted them here. I think you're making an excellent decision in a tough situation, and I wish you all the best!