1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

meeting gay guys / clubbing

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GoBabyGoGo, Jun 15, 2009.

1. GoBabyGoGo

im about to turn 18 (yay), and me and my friend are going to a nightclub, and hopefully meet some cool guys/girls (hes straight)

going to a 'straight' club is annoying tho. there will prob be very few gay guys there, they would go to gay clubs...

im really keen to go to a gay club, but i don't have anyone to go with... (dont want to go by myself, im shy) -- do people go by themselves? Do gay guys go to gay clubs with other gay friends / girlfriends???

So i think i need some gay friends!! But a slight problem - i dont have any!

how can i meet gay guys so that i can go to a club and meet gay guys..? lol its a bit of a viscious cycle. i know theyre not the only place to meet gay ppl, but i dont know of any social/support groups

at least, ill go to clubs with my friend and wear a rainbow wristband to identify myself, will that work?

2. GoBabyGoGo

i should mention, i dont live in the city or near these clubs, and it would just be a night out. that is also frustrating because there are absolutely no gay groups / meets in my area (trust me i have checked many times!) and it is difficult and slightly weird turning up at one in an area that you dont even live near! I think this is the core of my slight problem... physical isolation. I can't wait to move out but i can't yet :frowning2:

3. partietraumatic

do you have any female friends you could take? I've only been to a gay club type thing once and i took a girlfriend. In my expereince they really wanna go :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: whenever i mention it to any of my close female friends theyre always like 'OMG im coming with you!' :grin: I think they like it coz of the cheesy pop,and the fact they can get told they look 'fabulous' and dance with guys without the intimidating threat of a guy wanting more than just dancing hehe

Tbh im in the same boat tho,i cant wait to go to university and hopefully be able to meet some gay guys to go clubbing with :slight_smile: Good luck!

4. GoBabyGoGo

aww the sad thing is, i dont even have any female friends!!!! wish i did tho, they sound like fun

5. Jim1454

Some people do go to gay clubs and bars alone. But most of them I see there usually end up standing alone. But they're not really making eye contact or smiling, so how they expect to even talk to someone is beyond me.

I'd say it's always better to go out with someone. But don't plan on meeting many gay guys in a straight club. The rainbow 'signal' would be a good idea. Because there might be another gay guy there with his straight friend!

6. partietraumatic

whenever i go 'straight clubbing' (lol) i try to stand out just in case there is someone there hehe,so yeah if you do go how about making it possible to see you'er gay,just in case someone is doing the same thing as you :slight_smile: Good luck!

Failing that if you wanna pay for a plane ticket ill come clubbing with you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally would not go to a gay club alone, but that's cuz my city, well people would most likely beat me if they saw a lone guy coming out of a gay club...but I'm sure it's better where you are, but still better to go with a friend.

8. -Michael-

It's simple.

Have a shit, shower and shave.

Make sure you look top notch.

Hit the gay bar.
    Job done.

No silly wristbands, no standing on the dancefloor bopping your head and circling looking for someone who you won't go and say hi to...
    Just slap up, go out...have fun

Take a few girls, girls love gay bars...specially if they don't want to be hit on.

9. GoBabyGoGo

haha i might take you up on that offer - ill be living in UK next year!!!

aww. why can't clubs be mixed gay and straight? Whats going to be ultra annoying and frustrating is if my friend dissappears with a girl. oh man, then ill be alone AND in a straight club. ill try and get a couple of friends going i think

but yes, ill definatly wear something symbolic to identify myself. and ill cross my fingers that there will be someone else there like me, and then we can be bestest friends, and then i can go out to gay clubs with them :grin:

10. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Why can't they be mixed? Well one thing I have noticed that is supremely different is the musical taste. Gay dances usually have a lot of pop infused stuff whereas straight ones have more booty bouncin bass and RB. Just a word of advice, becareful about advertising your orientation when in there. Here, at Club Taboo, it's very unsafe to do so. I've had many friends kicked out or threatened because they're gay. Not to mention what happens outside the club. :slight_smile: Just a word of warning.

11. GoBabyGoGo

thanks for the advice. im glad sydney is very gay friendly, i doubt that would happen there, but i guess it depends on where i go. ive been reading around and ive found that there ARE some mixed gay/straight clubs!!! Thats so awesome, i love sydney!!