1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can I do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pikachu1, Jun 15, 2009.

1. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've never been one for clubbing or going out dancing or hanging out at bars, yet everyone tells me that that is the only way to meet other gay men. Is this true? Is there really no other effective way to meet someone? Also the problem is cause I don't have a car so I would need to bring someone along to drive me which would make things awkward and difficult if I did meet someone.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! There are other ways to meet others. For example you could join a LGBT support group or a PFLAG chapter. Often LGBT support groups have also social events within a community, which are open to everyone. If you find that there is a support group outside of a community, you could perhaps call them up and ask if there is someone from your community that attends the meetings.

Are you in college? Would the local college have a LGBT group on campus? That could be another good way to meet and get to know others.

Hope this helps a bit!

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had several friends who have had good luck with Facebook and Myspace *provided* that they spend time making a nice profile that talks about the sort of things they are interested in and describes them as a person rather than a million pics of Britney and Vuitton handbags and half-naked hot guys. And honestly, avoid sexy poses in the pics you put up, that way you'll get responses from people interested in *you*, not in a shallow hookup with some random sexy guy. (Unless that's what you're after LOL)

You can also hang out at places where there are likely to be a bunch of gay guys. Starbucks for some reason seems to always attract gay guys as baristas, so there's probably at least a 50% chance, maybe more (at least in an urban area) that the cute guy at Starbucks who is serving you is gay :slight_smile:

Also, many times there's a gay newsweekly or monthly in most larger cities that will have listings for local activity groups and such for gay guys in their 20s or college age or whatever. You'll find copies at your local gay bookstore or gay-lesbian center.