1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice for a first date...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MouseofShadows, Jun 16, 2009.

1. MouseofShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    especially to avoid any awkward silences (for a person who generally doesn't say much)...and any other advice would be helpful

2. godfather

godfather Guest

well if you rreally don't say much then mabey go see a movie or something which means you can not talk too much!
    If you have to speak I'd say make interseting so not just the same old thing like 'how was your day' but it all depends who your dating and how comfortable you are with them!
    Just have fun hope it goes well! :slight_smile:
    GF

3. MouseofShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    lol...well he sort of asked me out to dinner...so I didn't really have much of a choice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Cherry pick topics

If he mentions something, drag it long. Used the same words he used. Used a lot of 'we's. Don't give a creepy smile either.

5. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Well it totally depends on what kind of a date it is, your atmosphere, and how well you're connected. Can you give us some more details about that? Oh and do your best to be punctual, eat neatly (mouth closed, no smacking, and use your napkin), and always greet and part politely but that should go without say...hopefully.

6. Jim1454

People like to talk about themselves. So ask questions rather than think that you need to make conversation. If it's a relatively new relationship there is all kinds of stuff that you could ask:

- favourite vacations
    - taste in food
    - their job or schooling
    - their family of origin (i.e. background, what their parents do, etc)
    - places they've lived

Then with each of those, think about what you would add about your own life, assuming that once they've talked about themselves they say "...and what about you?"

Things to avoid likely include

- politics
    - religion
    - past relationships

Good luck! I hope you have a good time!

7. MouseofShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thanks for the advice...

-enigma: I don't know him too well and I don't know the time or place yet (i'll ask him later)

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Jim covered it pretty much already. What I would add is that you can also ask further questions on things that they mention. Also, when your date mentions something, and you can relate to it add that into the conversation as well.

9. echapper

If it makes you feel more secure, you can try to think of different questions before the date. But don't being a list of them with you to your date! That will make you look like a complete looser (at least when it comes to social skills) :wink:

You can also prepare some topics. For example, if he's taking you to italian restaurant, read something about italian cuisine and then share your knowledge! And then you can talk about your favorite foods, good restaurants you have been to and so on and so on.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much. Your date had enough social skills to ask you out (and to make you say yes :wink: ) so hopefully he's good at dating too. :icon_bigg

10. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    ask him about himself then he can't complain when your quiet cause your listening