1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

me = depressed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GoBabyGoGo, Jun 17, 2009.

1. GoBabyGoGo

I am suffering from extreme boredom. My life is stagnant. I struggle to find activities that I find enjoyable. I feel physically isolated. There are no social groups or clubs that i can join in my area. Sport does NOT work for me. I feel like a broken tape which keeps playing these same thoughts over and over. Every day seems exactly the same. I wish life was more random and spontaneous, and i wish i could do something wild and exciting.

I have no purpose in life and no major goals. I do not feel part of anything or involved with anything. My friends do not need me. There is nowhere that i feel like i belong. I feel like no one understands me. I feel different to everyone else. I don’t know who i am or what i am supposed to do.

I am constantly tired and unmotivated. I have no energy and just feel like going to bed and not waking up. Every day drags on as i try to find something that will just pass the time. Then i look back on the day feeling as if i have achieved nothing, and i have wasted the time i should have spent studying.

2. Boredom is a self-inflicted wound. I'm sure you've heard this, but just get hobby.

What are you good at, Polyamorous?

Routine is evil. Break it. Go for walks. Get a job and make money.

Do the best with what you have.

3. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Listen to depressing music, lay in your bed and sleep, eat junk food and cry yourself silly.

Then go outside, and think the world is a beautiful place to be in.

4. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

5. GoBabyGoGo

well, im glad its all so simple.

im now trying to think about what i am good at.... hmm, im quite good at all of my schoolwork but its not totally my idea of fun. i think i procrastinate starting working harder because im too much of a perfectionist. it all seems too difficult to do a good job that its so much easier to waste time. maybe i need to lower my standards, but thats difficult. its just not me to do a job without doing it well.

what else am i good at? well.. i really dont know. I think what im longing for is more social contact in my life. i dont have a strict routine, or at least nothing that i can change. i wake up, go to school, come home, waste time, go to bed. and on the weekends its just all of that without the going to school and coming home part. possibly with a little homework thrown in.

it would probably be good for me to get a job and actually do something worthwhile by earning money. and ill definatly need some money for the years to come. but the thing which is holding me back is the thought that im so tired already, and that ill have an increasingly large workload coming up that i won't have the time. or maybe it would just cut down the excessive time spent procrastinating. i might look into it. i am very indecisive tho.

PS. I already listen to too many sad songs... 'something i can never have' or 'hurt' by NIN have got to be the saddest songs i know

#5 GoBabyGoGo, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  6. Do you have means of reliable transportation?

7. Jim1454

Let's get one thing straight... life is NOT going to be ramdom and spontaneous or wild and exciting - at least not all the time. But if we have established an expecation that it should be, or we attribute our depression to that, then we're in trouble. Becauase that's not likely to change.

As a young person, you're not going to necessarily have a 'purpose' in life or major goals. It's the rare exception that as a teen someone takes up a cause and makes real change happen in the world. They are to be commended, and they get attention and publicity, but they aren't the norm. 'The norm' are at home watching that person on the news - just like you. So try not to compare yourself to others.

At the same time, I totally relate to your feelings of not belonging. I felt the same way in my teens. I didn't even know I was gay - so looking back I attribute a lot of those feelings to the fact that I'm gay. So try to be yourself. You're not unique for being unique. Everyone is unique. But you also likely have SOME things in common with some of the people you know. Focus on those things. And try to be comfortable just being yourself while you're at it.

To give your life purpose, what about volunteering somewhere? At a seniors home, a hospital, a food bank, or some other charity. Helping others is a great way to get out of our own heads.

Your comments about perfectionism strike a cord with me as well. I avoid doing things because I'm not convinced I'll do them perfectly. What a killer attitude to have. I leave things so late that I'd NEVER be able to do them perfectly. So, accept that you can't do everything (or really anything) PERFECTLY and just do it. Make a list and start. Do the things you don't want to do - and sometimes just going through the motions can make you feel better.

Finally, if this persists, then perhaps you should plan on sharing these feelings and symptoms with your family doctor.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! You can create your own goals and it doesn't matter what they are. Think about what it is that you like doing. Maybe start by making a list of the things that you wanted to do a while ago but never came around to doing them.

There must be something that you like doing, even if it is going for walks, swimming, photography, etc...Take your hobbies as a starting point. Start setting small and realistic goals. As you complete them, you will start feeling differently, you will start to see a purpose in your life. Being physically active could also help you to feel differently about yourself, because you are doing something for yourself. The additional benefit of being physically active is that it can give you motivation and energy.

Maybe try getting a bit of a routine into your life as well. Start with getting up at around the same time every day and make a list of things that you want to do. Jim mentioned to make a list and start. Use can use that to start your days. In pursuing or doing things, start with reasonable standards/expectations as it will help you to actually gain motivation as you complete the things you set out to do.

Jim already mentioned it, but volunteering is something that could really help you to get back on your feet as it were. Volunteering has a number of positives: a) you help others; b) it allows you to feel good about yourself; c) you might start seeing a purpose in what you are doing; d) it provides you with opportunities to make new contacts and get to know others; e) it allows you to put your feelers out in terms of finding out what you like to do and f) you can put it on your resume. Give it some thought. Maybe have a look at volunteer opportunities in your community and try finding something that interests you.

9. fallendream

did you enjoy writing that post? most people, myself included, like to write speeches about or involving themselves - its strange but true, so next time you're bored attempt writing a speech for president or you're zombie defense plan - ridiculous things are also found fun by alot of people

10. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Welcome to the secretive ranks of the Desperate Housewives.

:slight_smile: Hopefully that will ease the pain of your loneliness.

11. GoBabyGoGo

wow thankyou so much guys for the great response. if nothing else i feel more loved and less alone :grin:

12. TEres321

If you feel like your social life is stagnant, make it moving water on your own!
    You should go at it and call your friends and do things!
    You should never have the need to wait for them to call you!
    Initiative! Take it!