1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any god ideas...................

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lilmantate96, Jun 17, 2009.

1. lilmantate96

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am trying to come out to my parents but can't get myself to do it. My parents have already told me they will love me unconditionally no matter what but I just can't work myself up to do it. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can do it? And please don't say e-mail. I don't like sending e-mails if I don't have to.

2. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wait until you're completely ready, and then tell.

Leave evidence around too, so they might initiate the conversation if you don't want too.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many people have done well by writing a letter, and then handing it to them. That way, you're there in the flesh to talk to (so it's not as impersonal as an e-mail), but since all the words are already written out, you won't be fumbling for what to say, or try to back out.

Lex

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you feel ready to come out to your parents, why not write them a letter. A letter would still be very personal. You can write the letter as long or as short as you want to. The resource sections has a few coming out letters written by EC members. Have a look at them. Here is the link: http://emptyclosets.com/home/pages/resources/coming-out-letters.php

Once you have written the letter you can try giving it to your parents or leave it for them to read it. Try to find a good time, so that your parents have time to read the letter and also talk with you. If you want you can also print out some PFLAG material for your parents, such as the "Our Daughters and Sons" brochure which you will find by following this link: http://community.pflag.org/Page.aspx?pid=594.

You know your parents love you unconditionally. Keep reminding yourself of that while writing the letter and giving or leaving the letter for them.

Hope this helps a bit! Good luck!

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with Lex and Mirko, a letter can be a great way of coming out. Letters aren't inherently impersonal, I just see it as being a way of communicating without the risk of forgetting something important or tripping over your tongue. If you don't like the idea of your parents reading instead of hearing what you have to say, I still think it's a good idea to do some writing - get down on paper what you want to say. You don't have to write and memorise a full speech or anything, but if you have an idea as to what you're going to say and in what order, set out on paper, it could help.

6. Mickey

I agree with writing a letter. You can put down everything you feel and give them an open invitation to talk,when they're ready.
    I also think it's a good idea to get some PFLAG material and give it to them,with the letter.
    Many people have come out this way and for the majority,it worked well.
    I wish you all the best.

7. Tiny Catastrophe

i agree with a letter. when i have something to tell my mom i write it down and hand it to her. i have a hard time saying certain things and letters are really helpful

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lex is a pretty sharp guy I say go with it.

9. TEres321

I would probably do lex's suggestion.
    I did it the stupid way.
    I was just standing there
    and i told my mom