1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual Harassment? (touching)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jose Carioca, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I have this friend. Let's call him John. John like to touch men inappropriately. I have this friend let's call him Bryan; he does not like being touched by other men. Although John is good friends with Bryan, he continues to touch him in the erogenous zone, despite Bryan protesting. John used to do this to me, but hey, he stopped after he found that it could illicit no reaction. I've tried to tell Bryan this, but he can't help the way he reacts, seeing how it is such a visceral reaction. I sympathize by imagining a girl fondling my goodies.

I assume that John does this to "assert his male dominance" on others by making them uncomfortable. By reacting, one shows that they are under Johns control, and by going along with it they are following his lead. How can I help my friend, Bryan, with this problem? John is very much strait, by the way.
    :dry:

2. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, I entirely agree with the whole 'no reactions thing', it's just like with siblings, they'll stop pestering you once they know it doesn't annoy you.

Thing is, some people can just switch off, others, like Bryan, just can't. I honestly don't know another way for these domineering people to stop doing their thing other than not reacting to it. I've found you can't really take it up with them; they don't listen.

Sorry I couldn't add anything useful.

3. littledinosaurs

Punch John in the face
    Or just tell him that he's being a douche.
    :/
    other than that you're gonna have to get Bryan to tell him off himself.
    I guess you could try touching him and see how he likes it?

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bryan doesn't have a problem. John does. I'd suggest a quick kick in the groin the next time John feels like touching Bryan inappropriately.

Lex

5. EM68

I would give John one warning to cut it out. If he does not stop I would knock him out.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This is clearly sexual harrassment. Your friend should tell John that if he touches him one more time, he's filing sexual harrassment against him.

7. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Male dominance? Hmm, it's very hard to ascertain without directly asking him. And without knowing him, I'm going to say it's not. Usually male dominance like that is very controlling and ego fueled but it seems like he's just doing it to be funny, cute or going for the shock reaction.

In this case, I believe he only does it to get attention or for curiosity. In which case someone needs to tell him it's wrong. While punching him may be a good remedy, if John doesn't do something, he's not going to stop. Simple as that. He [John] needs to remind him that everyone has their personal boundaries and he'd like his respected. If not, he can take legal action against him. Although that road should be the very last traveled. In this case, a kick jab in the arm or other extremity (not a Mahamud Ali knock out) would suffice better than legal threats I think.

That's how boys play. And really, I think that's all it is. Because if it was the male dominance thing, I think there'd be much more going on than that. That's something you see more frequently in prisons.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I maintain a quick kick in the groin would be a proper and just response. There's no way that John doesn't know that this sort of thing is out of line, and makes people feel uncomfortable. And I think it's time somebody made him feel uncomfortable in return.

Lex

9. xequar

Agreed.

10. Ben

Ben

Yeah I'm sure John is very aware that it is not very polite to do that.
    And he must have some level of self-control, so you need to somehow try and get John to stop touching Bryan. Maybe you should speak to him about this and tell him that it's pissing Bryan off. If he keeps on going, tell him to stop and threaten your friendship.

11. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was going to say touch him back, but a kick in the groin may work as well.