1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need to meet other gay's!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ELusiveMuse, Jun 19, 2009.

1. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

I'm really starting to feel the need for gay company... Not just to find a boyfriend or hook up (though i wouldn't mind that either lol!) , but you know, for company, support and advice from people who've been there, in short all that E.C provides but in person. The trouble is that there's no gay scene or overt presence on the island and i.ve been trying to find gay groups etc. but all i can find is a solitary gay youth support group. :-(
    Any one got some advice in how to find some gay friends?!

2. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so with you, ELM. I too am in a small community, tho not water bound. But will be listening to the replies you get to see what might help here. I did read with interest the Gaydar posts for help in finding likely suspects. Cheers.

3. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    Tattoo a rainbow on your forehead. Should solve the problem.

4. Probably the most reasonable answer to all of these kinds of threads.

I've been thinking about getting a cool bracelet that is kind of rainbow-ish.
    I'm needing a boyfriend right now.

5. Jim1454

I posted an online ad.

I was feeling the same way 2 years ago when I was in the same position. So I posted an ad on a free online 'classified' website in the personals (strictly platonic section!) and stated very clearly what my situation was and the kind of person I was looking to meet. And I got several really good and sincere replies. I developed a huge crush on one (warning!) and chatted online with a couple of others. But one guy has become a good friend, and I still talk to him regularly and we get together once in a while. In fact we're having dinner together next Friday night during Pride here in Toronto.

Just be brutally honest. And be prepared to STILL get responses that aren't in line with what you were looking for...

Good luck!

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in a similar situation. I live in the city, but I"m not into the gay clubs and stuff like that. So, it seems like meeting other gays is like walking around in a maze saying, "hello? hello? any gay people here?"

7. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I'm the same way. I do a lot of volunteering for LGBTQ activities in order to meet new people though. And now that I'm out, they seem to come my way a lot more often.

8. Kaim

Kaim Guest

I don't want to seem like I'm highjacking the topic, but I'm in a similar predicament myself actually. There isn't any LGBTQ stuff in my neighborhood, but there's new and apparently famous LGBTQ center in downtown Chicago (Center on Halsted if anyone knows). I've visited once before but I wasn't aware of an orientation process towards it, so I couldn't participate in a youth space that was there. That was during the school year too, so I went on one weekend wouldn't have a further chance.

With summer now, I'm thinking of getting an appointment for the orientation thing, but it's really far away. I have to take about 2-3 trains to get there, and since I don't live downtown I wouldn't know how I should feel with people that probably live in the area and talk about it. What do you guys think?

@OP, if you're willing to be somewhat publicly out, then I'd suggest doing what others suggested, like getting rainbow apparel or something.

9. GoBabyGoGo

haha you sound exactly like me :grin:

so what was wrong with the gay youth support group?? In my area, we dont even have that!! absolutely nothing!

some sort of symbolic rainbow wristband or something might help, but only if you are confident enough to come out completely (although i have my doubts a lot of straight people would recognise it)

i have actually been to one gay youth support group (haha the nearest one 1hr away) and it was kinda embarrasing. I mean, they were nice and all but there were only 3 people (2 lesbians, 1 older gay guy)!!! It was as if i just hijacked their group of friends, had dinner with them, told them i didnt even live nearby, and left. HAHA

good luck

10. KnightAssassin

I were a rainbow belt and rainbow w.w.j.d. wristband and sometimes my rainbow necklace ......... wow im gay .......

11. Alexander

Grand Rapids has a gay center in eastside. I'm pretty sure they have a youth group.

The Center is one of the country's best gay centers. Even if you can't get there, I'm sure they can help you connect with some gay people in your suburb. Call them up. :]

#11 Alexander, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  12. D_Alejandro

Wow I was actually talking about this with a friend of mine a few minutes ago. I too am in desperate need for gay friends. There really aren't too many of them that I could relate to around my area :frowning2:

That's also part of the reason I returned to EC.

13. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

Thanks to you all for the replies so far (&&&)

Polyamorous; the trouble with the gay youth group is that i'm 25, not really a youth any more, and i think it's more for teenagers really.

Jim1454; have been considering doing something similar but i am a tad wary of the sleazy guys that may answer, we've all heard the stories, but i guess thats a risk i'll have to take.

The whole rainbow jewellery thing seems the way forward though i think a tattoo may be going a tad too far lol! Maybe i should get a rainbow bracelet, hmmm...

14. Jim1454

That's right. Balance risk with reward. An online ad lets you filter out the real crazies right away. Hopefully you'll be lucky like I was and have a few sincere guys respond. Remember, if you are where you are and crave the friendship of another gay guy and aren't sure where to meet someone, then there's likely ONE other person in the same situation.

I gave that advice in another thread here recently - and that similar person appeard three posts later in the SAME THREAD!!! So you just never know. Good luck!

15. EM68

I joined a couple of meet up groups. I actually dated someone for a month or so from the group. I also joined a dating site. I dated a couple of guys and met my current bf through there.

16. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

Thanks guys, i'm going to give it a go. :slight_smile: