1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is living life as a gay man REALLY the right thing to do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SideEffects, Jun 21, 2009.

1. SideEffects

It's the politically correct thing to do as a gay man, but realistically I don't know if it really helps.

No offense to anyone and I mean it, but I see so many single men at the ages of 30-50 and it scares the hell out of me. I know many people don't mind it and good for them, but to me it's a depressing thought.

I'm not saying being a closet case is the way to go. But I'm thinking something like living life as a gay person and having a boyfriend WHILE married to a lesbian (on paper) and having kids with her. We'd have seperate lives and be friends. We'd get to have kids the natural way, they get to be raised in a way that doesn't make them a target, family isn't too devestated. Everything else won't be fake, I'm sure I want to live life with another man. Not ideal, but for society's standards, it's the closest a gay guy can get.

I've never really thought of that option because it's supposedly wrong, but is it? Is having kids and raising them "normally" that much to ask? It upsets me so much to think I won't have kids. The alternatives are just selfish and/or not fullfilling enough. It's too soon for me to be thinking about this, but I hate having that feeling all the time.

#1 SideEffects, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  2. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, I am planning to have kids at 30 in a stable household through adoption. In my opinion I think it's better to raise kids in a stable gay relationship than none at all. Kids will always find something to tease about too, and it depends on the situation.

3. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

So adopting a child isn't as 'fulfulling' as making one yourself? So you couldn't love one from an orphanage as much because they don't share the same blood as you. Oh, I see. Because adoption is so 'selfish' in comparison to only loving one filled with your blood, right? Sounds a little materialistic.

What is 'normally' that you so speak of as well? Don't live by other people's standards just to please them. Live and thank for yourself. You don't live to appease others.

How do you live life as a gay man, and have a lesbian partner? It sounds like you're watching too much Queer As Folk... If you're referring to people who live with real wives and have children...do you realize how damaged they are and how much they regret their choices? There are quite a few of those people around here who would happily admit that they wished they never did that. (but still love their families) I'm sure living a lie wasn't easy for them, nor will it be for you.

And what do you mean all the single men at 30-50? :confused:; Not everybody is a couple for their entirety.

And what do you mean living life as a gay man REALLY the right thing to do?
    Alot of your questions and questions are a bit ambiguous. Further them, please? :slight_smile:

4. olides84

Interesting. Well, this plan could work, but I don't see that projecting a sham relationship to your family and the world is the best way to raise children. But more importantly, I think you have some ill-conceived stereotypes of what being gay is and how it will effect you and your kids in society.

First of all, "living life as a gay man" does not mean single, unmarried, childless, etc. It simply means that you are attracted to men and probably doing something about it :slight_smile: It has nothing to do with how you end up at ages 30-50: single, dating, partnered with no kids, or partnered with a crapload of kids.

Also, you seem to think kids who have two gay parents will somehow be disadvantaged. I just don't see it. Yeah, they may get some ridicule (which is likely to be even less when you have kids), but I think it will also give your kids an early opportunity in life to be strong and respectful of differences. And I like to think that kids of partnered gay guys are some of the most TRULY loved and cherished by their parents because of the greater difficulties of just having kids in the first place.

5. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think nearly everything I was going to say was covered by The Enigma and oldies84 except for one thing. How does living as a gay man, married to a lesbian who you don't actually love in that way and who you don't live with help the kids
    ???
    Yeah, there is currently the potential for a kid with gay parents to be bullied or whatever for it, I'll admit that. Really though, there always have been, and there (hopefully not, but who am I kidding) will always be bullies. If it's not one thing, they will find something else. I don't think that is a good reason to mess up their life and yours.
    Also, why marry her if you are just going to use her for her reproductive potential? Why don't you just sleep with her and avoid the future hassle if a divorce when one of you want to marry someone you love?
    Another thing; wouldn't a kid (adopted, or whatever) be much better off living with one set of parents? I don't think a single person could say "I just love switching houses all the time, it's so fun having divorced/separated parents" unless there is abuse or fighting or something of that nature.

6. SideEffects

Um, of course it's a great alternative for those who can't have kids, but come on. Again, may not be politically correct but of course it would be MORE IDEAL to have one that's your own blood. That's not materialistic at all to me.

If I wasn't already living by that "motto", I wouldn't be here. By normal I mean a house with a mother and father, not two fathers. Gay people aren't less normal, but when it comes to parenting then there obviously has to be a father AND mother for it to be natural.

I don't think it's fair to the kid or easy to live like that.

That's something I think. Has nothing to do with my family. In fact, my family will still know I'm gay. I still plan to have gay friends, activities and a partner. I'm not going to live a lie.

True, I am. I think it's a good idea, but could be better as the kid is still living with 2 mothers.

I'm not even talking about a real marriage. Just something to make it easier to have kids and raise them WHILE living a gay life.

What part of that did you not understand...? I'm talking about people who are alone and don't have kids. Good for them if they're happy, but it's really not the life I want.

I mean, is living life without the social "norms" really the way to go. The "right" thing to do is come out and live without any type of lie... but does that really bring on a better life? Cause I don't see myself happy at 40. At all.

7. SideEffects

Wish it was that easy. I think kids who have two gay parents are DEFINITELY disadventaged, unfortunately. Society is fucked up like that. I had a hard time growing up gay when I'm the only one knows, can't imagine what it's like when you feel different and everyone knows your family is different and ridicules you.

Living life as a gay man... is being with men. Harder to find a relationship because our community is smaller, and harder to have kids because there's no woman. And when the alternatives for a "standard" family are not something I find realistic, it does make me feel like it'd make me childless.

8. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you seen the number of posts on here about the gay penguins? Have you heard the stories of a female/male (avian) couple giving one of their eggs to a male/male couple for them to raise?
    Humans are the only species on this planet (recorded so far) where homosexuality and gay couples raising kids is considered abnormal.

9. SideEffects

They will not only be bullied, they'll feel different. And if I were to raise kids of my own, who exactly would their mother be? Just thinking about the options gives me a headache. I want a kid of my own. Sorry, but when it's possible to have kids that are your own blood, that's the way I want it.

Everything is just filled with question marks while straight couples just have it SO easy, it's insane.

Well... there are more divorced couples than gay couples. I don't think switching houses is anywhere near as traumatizing.

It sucks that my opinions are so strong about it, because it really doesn't give me anything to look forward to. I'm too harsh for my own good, unfortunately.

10. SideEffects

Well.. humans is what I'm gonna live with :wink:

But yeah, the gay penguins story was nice. But like I said, doesn't affect my life.

11. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Why is it more ideal? That's the question I'm asking. What makes a child born from your testicles better than some orphan? Do you think they're going to be better off in life? So you're saying an orphan couldn't possibly lead successful futures? Are you saying your lineage is fraught with success exclusively?

What motto is that? You live in a house with a mom and a dad? That's not a motto, fyi. What's wrong with two moms or dads? So if it's not less normal, then why does it have to be fixed to be natural? That's a contradiction. What you got there is called internalized homophobia. You've ingrained the idea that all families must consist of a mom/dad to be successful. Maybe you don't understand...but there are plenty of children out there with a single or coupled gay parent that are successful.

In-fact, I think gay parents are more suited more often to be parents. Would you know why that is? Because often gay parents can't have children. The reason they seek children is to love someone and raise a child. Thus, children aren't often 'accidents'. Usually, they're mentally prepared for the task. And they teach them equality and ethics most households never preach to their young.

But that's not normal. So we can't have that, right?

Yeah, it's so fair when mom and dad divorce because gay parents don't do that either. Sure it's fair when moms a cheater and dads an alcoholic, because two dads or moms would never do that. Golly, life is so fair with straight parents because gay parents disadvantage their young.

Well, actually, NEWS FLASH!
    Life's unfair.

So living with a lesbian and having a child with someone you don't love isn't a lie? When people ask where your child came from, you also won't lie?

Queer as Folk does NOT NOT NOT represent gay life style or culture accurately or remotely. Have you actually been around gay people or culture? I mean actually experienced it? You have to in order to know.

What's 'real' marriage? Lol A white picket fence? God, don't make me laugh.
    Marriages like that are so very far and between that don't break apart within a few years. Eternal love and harmony is near non-existent. Gay people raise their children and live 'gay' lives all the time. Bein gay does not mean you go clubbing, fuck some tricks/johns, or participate in activism 24/7. Again, stereotype.

All the parts filled with bias, ignorance, and homophobia. So you must excuse me while I get clarification. I have a hard time swallowing bull :***: as you'll see. Alone and don't have kids? Well, not everyone has kids...Being gay is not going to make you alone and not have kids. Well maybe, if you carry on like this for the rest of your life. Going to be hard to find a significant other with attitudes shown above.

Do you think I'm wrong?
    Why?

It can. It depends on what you do with your life. We all have choices. I don't see yourself happy now, actually. How old are you? You can't love others if you don't love yourself.

12. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Dude. I'm not sure what you are expecting, but you will only have people telling you to live a life out of the closet. If you want us to say, "Sure! It's a GREAT idea to get married to someone you don't love because you fear society's backlash on your as-of-yet unborn children! Pure GENIUS!" Well, it's not going to happen.

And speaking of being selfish, are you going to lie to your child and tell them that you are in love with your bio-wife? Gay life versus Family life. It doesn't exist. It's a fictional problem created by bible-thumping conservatives who want to scare straight people into repressing our rights and force gay people back into the closet. It may be your opinion that you can't live happily with two fathers or two mothers, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are correct.

Natural BLAH BLAH. Fuck natural. You wouldn't be talking to us if we were still "natural". Vaccines are not natural. Computers, cars, the food we eat. Our lives are no longer natural. What is this obsession with being "natural"? Nature is a terrifying place. It's dog-eat-dog out there. Fuck natural.

I have a feeling that you are not out of the closet quite yet. I'm also willing to bet that you are still quite young. With these two things taken into consideration, I am positive that as you educate yourself more about our community, you will realize that a family and a loving partner can happen. It's not about normalcy. It's about what makes you happy. And right now, you have been sufficiently brainwashed to believe that having 2.5 children, a white picket fence and a wife who cooks your meals will make you happy. Give it a bit of time.

#12 Numfarh, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2009
  13. olides84

Why are your opinions so strong about it? You've spouted so many, in my opinion, fallacies about gays and parenting and kids that I could easily pick up in American Family Association literature. And you seem to argue that every other instance of parenting (awful divorce, parents not wanting/loving their kids, lesbian and gay guy having a sham relationship hiding from their families, kids being bullied for much worse) is somehow an improvement because the kid is the natural offspring of a man and woman. I hate throwing this term around much, but it seems there's a lot of internalized homophobia in many of your arguments.

There is at least one EC member (balletbeauty I think) who has two moms. I hope she can bring some perspective.

14. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

15. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Humans? lol

But yeah...gay penguins story has a meaning behind it. Those who say homophobia is not natural just need look at nature...where we come from. Animals have been gay, and people have been gay since ancient times. It's nothing new...it's not some new sickness...

He just wanted to point that out. :wink:

16. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was just going to say that, thanks for saving me the effort.

17. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

18. silentsound

Seems to me that raising children in a "friendship" marriage where both parties have other lovers that the other is fully informed about would mess up a kid far more than having two daddies ever could.

Furthermore, it sounds to me like you are idealizing a straight relationship, even one where both parties genuinely love one another. Marriage and raising children is very difficult as it is. Taking the love and commitment out and putting outside parties in multiplies that ridiculously. The whole thing is a breeding ground for anger, jealousy, and most likely some very messed up children. Not to mention that it wouldn't be true to yourself. Would you ever be really happy that way? I know you have it all figured out that you could still live a life with a partner and "just be married" but I fear that is not how it works. Marriage is a very serious commitment. There is only one space available for the "person I want to share the rest of my life with" and putting two people in there doesn't work. If you're really committed to someone, you want to share your *whole* life with them. Not just the sexual and emotional part. What about the rest of the things marriage entails? You could never live together, travel the world together, raise your children together. Without those things, you don't have a true long term committed relationship the way you want. I'm sorry, but you can't try to make an arrangement like that work. It's not healthy for you, your partner, or your children- and isn't protecting them why you wanted to do this in the first place?

#18 silentsound, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  19. SideEffects

LOL. Whatever. I was actually going to continue the little "debate" until I read that, even though it's hard to keep a discussion with someone who's too busy trying to come across as witty (while failing hard at that) instead of just reading.

You could really use some reading comprehension skills. For example:
    ORLY? What the hell are you even talking about? I quoted this part of your post when I talked about a "motto":
    I was just saying... I already live by that, or I wouldn't be on EC admitting I'm gay and dating guys.

You're not that bright and have a bigger attitude than you should, so I'll skip. I clearly hit a nerve there, maybe because as you said you didn't have a father figure.

Either way, done with you.

Intelligent replies?

20. SideEffects

So should people no longer bring kids to the world because there are orphans out there waiting for someone to take them? That's a completely different discussion. It's not that I wouldn't love someone if he wasn't my own, but it's more exciting to have a kid that's a little you and has YOUR genes and YOUR blood, etc. That's anything but materialistic.

What I'm saying is not "politically correct" but no one really is politically correct about everything. It's just the way it is.